Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shore fishing powell in winter?
Thinking of a primitive camping trip with no boat down at Powell. Never been there so don't have any clue if I'm up in the night or not.
Just wondering if its doable with a shot at catching something or not?
Checked out Waynes world for info, but not much to be had other than boat fishing and boat camping.
Any thoughts?
[signature]
Anchovies from the bullfrog dock at night.
[signature]
We have been down the last few weeks fishing from the docks at night and off the back of the house boat. My kids are always going along the shore during the day casting all sorts of bass gear that they get at the clearance bins but the always catch a lot of fish, mostly large mouth and small mouth.

[fishon][fishon]
[signature]
Thanks guys
[signature]
The water is going to drop below bass fishing temp (55 degrees)in a few weeks. Stripers will still bite, though.
[signature]
Sounds like I better hurry up if I want bank bass.
I suppose that means the cats are off the list also.
Was unpleasantly surprised at the night temps down there.
Looks like I will need to bring winter gear for camping and sleeping.
Older I get the colder I get. I would really like to get some stripers as I have never caught one.
Thanks again
[signature]
Believe it or not farleys is chuck full of super fat stripers right now. The water is murky and only 49 degrees as opposed to 60 on the rest of the lake but it's only a quarter mile walk or less to not stop striper action. Try chartreuse tubes, rattle traps and spoons. Fish are cold and sluggish so work everything slowly.
[signature]
Thanks for the intel, glad to get anything I can for my first visit down there.
[signature]
Especially my knees of all things, right? As a kid it's always fingers and toes. Now, grown up, it's my kneecaps at night. So weird.
[signature]
[quote Springbuck]Especially my knees of all things, right? As a kid it's always fingers and toes. Now, grown up, it's my kneecaps at night. So weird.[/quote]

My knees haven't been happy with the cold for several years now.
[signature]
Well springbuck gotta admit cold knee caps are a new one to me!
Planning on bringing plenty of fire wood for this trip.
down in the 20s at night sounds cold to me.
When I was young I considered that temp to be close to balmy.
[signature]
[quote 1sthound]Well springbuck gotta admit cold knee caps are a new one to me!
Planning on bringing plenty of fire wood for this trip.
down in the 20s at night sounds cold to me.
When I was young I considered that temp to be close to balmy.[/quote]

Brrrr
[signature]
I agree albinotrout Brrr! for sure. But this is my first retired
winter, Was easy to keep busy in summer, But now feels like I am stuck in the house with my wife,
I love her to pieces but I need some space, heck she will likely pack me up and say take your time down there.
Figure if I could freeze my arse off working outside all those years I can freeze body parts doing something I like.
Hope I don't wimp out.
[signature]
Nothing like a nice travel trailer to help out. [Wink]
[signature]
Dude, get a room.

You don't have to get one every night, but do a couple of nights roughing it, then spend one inside the lodge, with heat, a hot shower, TV.

It's worth it. Maybe the best $100 you spend.
[signature]