Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mak Jig'n Line Opinion
Setting up 3 new Gorge jigging rigs for Christmas presents, one for me of course.[Wink]

Braid or fusion braid? Line strength? Backed or not backed?
Fluro leader? Line Strength? Length?

I was thinking maybe 15lb braid with a 6ft 12lb fluro leader...but figured I ought to ask you all first. Thoughts?
[signature]
Monday morning TTT
[signature]
Personally, I fish straight 12lb. mono. Done. Its worked perfectly for 3 decades. Stren, Trilene, P-line, take your pick. Doesn't matter.

On my guided rigs, I fish 30lb. braid with the same 12lb. mono leader. Its just easier for most of the people I guide, and better when they get snagged on the bottom and I need to break off. All that's left on the bottom is a short piece of mono leader, not 50 or 100 feet of braid. I can fish one spool of braid all season. The leader starts out at 10 or 12 feet, and when I get it cut down to just a few feet after lots of re-ties, I tie on another 10 or 12 foot piece. The fish aren't judging the leader length, its just so you have something to break off. 30 pound braid is easier to tie the leader to than 15, and it binds into itself under pressure a bit less.

The exception is now, when its below freezing all day. Then we fish the straight mono. again because it doesn't freeze on the reel as bad as braid.

Fluorocarbon is a hoax, I have no use for it in mack jigging. Braid is nice and simple, and more tangle-free, but I've yet to fish with a smooth-dropping one.

Always use backing under the braid. (12-lb mono!)
[signature]
have you ever used reel magic spray for braid on these below freezing days? Just curious because I was going to try that up at bear lake instead of switching out my braid on the reel. I had an issue with that braid freezing up last year but have heard that reel magic is great for de--icing the braid/mono/fluoro and the rod guides as well. Might not be worth the hassle though.
[signature]
I've tried reel magic, pam cooking oil, dry fly floatant, and a couple of other concoctions. Not only was it a PITA to apply, bit most only worked for one or two drops/reel-ups. Not worth the hassle to me. Kinda messy in enough quantity to have an effect too.

I'd be open to something that could be applied once to the line, reel, and guides, and last all day.

Or, just keep using the time-proven mono!
[signature]
Thanks Jim! Very much appreciate your info, experience, and willingness to share it!
[signature]