Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are insulated tents that much better?
I may be in the market for another new ice tent. I have owned a wide variety of ice fishing tents but never owned an insulated tent. Are they worth the extra cash flow?
[signature]
I just got the new Cabela's Ice Team XL2000 but haven't had a chance to pick it up from the store. I can tell you that getting inside it, it was warmer inside just from the lights in the store. This tent is on sale for 20% off right now, by the way....through 12/5/15. I'm going to set it up in the yard and see how it works out, I'll let you know.
[signature]
If you have a heater I don't think there is a difference. I'm not all that sure tho. They will both work better than the wind!!
[fishon]
[signature]
I have the Otter that is insulated in the roof only & it does seem to make a difference. On my old uninsulated ice tent, it would rain on you from the frozen condensation when the tent warmed up - which could be annoying at times. I have not noticed the rain in this new insulated tent. I think it keeps you a little more constant in the temperature inside - not having to add & remove clothes as much. I do not think I use the heater as much either. I went the whole season in 2013 & 2014 without even lighting my heater (Maybe this was due to global warming??).

The cons - extra weight to drag out on the ice. Not bad if you have an ATV or snow sled.
[signature]
I have the Eskimo Quickfish 3 insulated ice shelter. I definitely notice a difference!
[signature]
It might be worth it if you didn't have a heater already. I have the uninsulated quickfish 3. It has served me well for the past few years. I fire up a Mister Heater Buddy inside and close the door. Usually in about 10-20 minutes the whole tent is way too warm and I shut off the heat. I always wear layers but after I'm in the tent with the heater I'm down to snow pants and a hoodie. Natural insulation helps too! [cool][cool]
[signature]
The only thing I've heard is the insulated material will absorb the moisture from people breathing while inside - similar to wall tent that will drip moisture if you are breathing on the wall/roof while you're sleeping. Then it might be harder to dry out if needed.

Also there in an increase in weight and bulk with the insulated material. I myself have the Clam 1660 Mag un-insulated and have no problem staying warm with one Little Buddy heater.

My Ice Tent
http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shel...0-mag.html
[signature]
We have two various sizes of quick fish non-insulated along with a larger mr buddy heater no issue on warmth with either for warmth very toasty...insulated well if you are in the mid west meaning ND, SD, MN, yep but there they have hard walls and drive out pulling a hard walled ice shelter. Here in Utah no need...but that's me. Now if you do a whole lot of night fishing...maybe...a good safe heater and all is good. Guess it depends on what type of ice fishing you'll be doing...
[signature]
I have used a tent for several years. When night fishing, the inside of the tent will frost up even when using a large heater. I just bought a new tent and it is insulated. I will find out and let you know. I expect it will be easier to warm up and retain the heat a bit more. The key indicator will be the night time ice fishing. I bought the 6 sided 80 sq ft Eskimo model. It is their big un. It is probably double the weight, or close to it over my large 6 x 12 Fibril. I pull mine onto the ice with a snow mobile, so no biggie. If I were on foot, I would be putting ski's on my sled for easier towing. For sure it will be more stable in the wind. My wife and I debated on insulated vrs un-insulated. We chose insulated.
[signature]
I have a Eskimo Fatfish 949i and it was one of the best things I have ever done! My friends have nice tent but not insulated and we can tell the difference even more so when the sun is out. With an insulated tent you won't have issues with condensation which is nice for those long days and overnight camp outs. I even use mine at scout camps and just throw a tarp on the ground/snow. My only regret is not buying a bigger model, mine is nice still in great shape but it only fits 3 to 4 people and know they have some that fit 6 so now I am selling mine to get a bigger one.

My friend and I bought our tents at the same time, his is not insulated and it has worn out way more then mine, the inside walls of his tent are cracking so more light is coming through but it still works just fine but since the insulated ones are quilted they just seem to last longer and stay in better shape.

There is my 2 cents.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like its a pretty mixed response. I do have heaters and I never have a hard time staying warm in a non-insulated tent but I was curious what the advantages are. I might save the extra weight and go back with a non-insulated style.
[signature]
My family have several fishing tents at home but we prefer using the elkton outdoors insulated tent on fishing trips. You can really tell the difference.
[signature]