Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing 12-5-2015
[center][Image: winner.gif][/center]
Air temp was mid 30s at the ramp as the sky started to get some color and water temp was 59 at Boulder Harbor/Lake Mead, NV. Mid day temps with the sun and essentially no wind made me wish for some shorts... The drive home was into the 50s.

A rare trip... No Madison. She gave me the look and a little attitude Friday but allowed a guys trip [Smile] Took a couple guys out with me (Robert and his brother Jason) so a full boat or at least as full as I would ever want it to be. Robert went fishing with Madi and me a couple years ago.

The objective was to load out their freezer since mine is good to go after last weekend. Did our best but only a little over 40 made it to the livewell by the end of the day. All typical 2-3 pounders with nothing special enough to call for a picture. Not bad but I had hopes to get into a school of them like Madi and I did last week where it was double and triples happening left and right pushing that number more into the triple digits. Didn't happen/it was one here and one there action. Pretty steady. Couldn't complain. The weather and company was the best.

Bait... My best bait day to date. First swing nothing. Second swing... I almost couldn't pull/lift the net into the boat. Chocked full of nothing but premium sized Shads. Nothing small. Since that went so fast I spent a few more minutes casting just to be greedy. Several ones and twos and then another net almost as good as the first good one. Called it after less than 10 minutes as good to go fishing. We fished until almost sunset and never needed to go back for bait. Was super nice having the baitwell so chocked full and not having to be "conservative" on keeping a good lively one on the end of the line.

The fish are starting to go deeper. Not deeper like in 100s of feet but closer to the bottom. Not nearly as much found in the mid water column/suspended this trip. So a lot more of let the sinker hit the bottom then 3-6 turns of the handle up. (Bait 4-12 feet off bottom.) We fished in 30-120 feet of water. Occasionally getting some suspended mid way in the water column but most where closer to the bottom.

I never asked about fish finder knowledge, etc but after I pointed out to Jason on my Humminbird here is your weight, etc he started to use the Humminbird like a expert video game star. He had that baby figured out and kicked our tails for the most part all day. I had him set-up fishing out of the back of the boat with his line going down essentially directly under the transducer so he had the best view of what was happening irt his bait. He was able to call almost all of his catches before they happened. The rest of the time he watched the screen like a hawk and adjusted his depth to what was being seen real time. Works... He really caught 'em.

Jumper cables... Been in the sealed oem bag since I bought the boat 4 years ago. That bag is no longer sealed. Sure as heck about 10am we went to move and get click, click, click. Lesson learned... I rarely ever charge the rear battery since the big motors alternator does one heck of a good job of that. But last weekend Madi and I fished 8+ hours. 8+ hours of 3 500gph pumps running, 2 Humminbirds, etc. Only making the run to the wash and back so not a whole lot of big motor running time. I'd of almost prefered to use the trolling motor to get back to the marina over having to go through what it would of taken to get one of the batteries up front out and move it to the back to get the boat started... Would of been a MAJOR pain. So glad I had jumper cables... Got it started and did some scouting around plus let it idle for a while and it was good to go the rest of the day. I didn't run the livewell aerator or fresh water pump that much the rest of the day being conservative on the battery. Needless to say that battery is being fully charged right now. It was hurting.

So with that I had Jason move to the front of the boat several times through the day and I'd break out the fillet board and knock out what was in the livewell since the water wasn't being kept up to the freshest standards... I had plenty of gallon ziplocks and a cooler full of ice ready to receive the fresh fillets. Certainly makes the end of the day cleanup that much easier having the fish cleaning part already done.

Last weekend we had our first boat failure. The rear aerator pump kept blowing fuses. After mucho fun tearing the rear of the boat apart to find said pump mounted directly to the side of the livewell it ended up being a simple fix. The plastic prop on the Johnson 500gph pump had slipped/moved some on the shaft (press fit). Thus it was hitting the bottom of the housing and stalling out the motor. Moved/pressed it back up the shaft and was fine yesterday. At least for the 4 hours we ran it until I became battery conservative. The bonus to all of that fun was that I was able to install a 12 volt outlet back there that I had been wanting to do for the baitwell. Super duper nice having that verse running 10+ feet of wire to the dash for power.

Fun getting to the rear aerator pump...

[Image: TrackerV175WT478.jpg]

New 12 volt outlet tucked under the corner.

[Image: TrackerV175WT484.jpg]

Speaking of baitwell... A update finally on the one I built several months back.

post is here:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=947366;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...d;page=unread#unread[/url]

Works for me [Smile]

We had bait in it from sun up to sun set with only a couple being tossed yesterday in the later part of the day. Zero fuss zero anything but do what it is suppose to do. Couldn't be happier. Only made one change to it from the previous weekend/first time using it and that was the water inlet line. I had it feeding to the bottom of the tank and pointing in a direction to make the water circulate clockwise. We lost more Shad than I cared for last weekend (smaller ones so might of been the main issue) so all I changed was shortening up that line to about half way down and drilled holes in it. So it still shoots water to the lower depths and directs it a pinch to the clockwise direction but also shoots some up in the upper portions of the tank in a clockwise pattern. Small change but made a difference! Now thinking about it I might of been able to just leave it going all the way to the bottom and just drill the holes... Would of done the same thing. Regardless happy with how this one works. It's simple, portable, small but yet 15 gallons, etc.

[Image: TrackerV175WT486.jpg]

[Image: TrackerV175WT487.jpg]

[Image: TrackerV175WT490.jpg]

Tom
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Great report, long read but very good information.
[signature]
Good info, thank you, Tom. I love how well the new tank matches the color of the boat. I am a fan of the blue, as I have mentioned before. Whizzle and I are planning to hit it this weekend, thanks for the report.
[signature]
Oh, and I'm glad you guys got the battery sorted out okay. I figure you jumped one battery w/ your other battery or did you have to flag down someone for help?
[signature]
We have a club tournament this coming weekend.

Look for the fleet and the fish will be close by.

Also watch for the afternoon winds to pick up.

[url "http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lake_mead_crawdad_cove"]http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lake_mead_crawdad_cove[/url]
[signature]
Nice...fishing is fishing...I still want a boat similar to what you have. I am a few years out still unfortunately. Better make up with your daughter and get another trip planned. [Wink]
[signature]
[quote Erawk]Oh, and I'm glad you guys got the battery sorted out okay. I figure you jumped one battery w/ your other battery or did you have to flag down someone for help?[/quote]

I have a pair of huge azz 75lb each AGM group 31 1150cca/205rc batteries for the TM up front. So I just jumped the rear from one of them. Many/most of the big boy boats $$$ have a switch installed so one can do the same thing without jumper cables. Easy enough when they are all in the same area but on most/many boats simular to mine the batteries are located at different spots on the boat.

This would of a been a HUGE pain to get out of there.

[Image: TrackerV175WT238.jpg]

Heck I don't even know if I could of slid one of those big suckers into the area in the back without completely removing the rear battery and battery box...

[Image: TrackerV175WT323.jpg]

Jumper cables!!! Super nice to have when something like this happens.

Tom
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Better make up with your daughter and get another trip planned. [Wink][/quote]

If we hadn't been out in a while I wouldn't of dreamed of asking her... Luckily we had been out the weekend before and she got lots of catchin' in that day. So semi off the hook [Smile]

Still... She was sitting in the boat Sunday as I was cleaning it going my seat feels different. Is it higher, something isn't right... lol Instincts taking over... Someone was in her seat! lol

Tom
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr][quote albinotrout]Better make up with your daughter and get another trip planned. [Wink][/quote]

If we hadn't been out in a while I wouldn't of dreamed of asking her... Luckily we had been out the weekend before and she got lots of catchin' in that day. So semi off the hook [Smile]

Still... She was sitting in the boat Sunday as I was cleaning it going my seat feels different. Is it higher, something isn't right... lol Instincts taking over... Someone was in her seat! lol

Tom[/quote]

Lol...[bobhappy]
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr][quote albinotrout]Better make up with your daughter and get another trip planned. [Wink][/quote]

Tom[/quote]

oh crap... who's butt is on the line me or my brothers?

HUGE thanks to Tom for letting myself and my brother hitch a ride and catch some fish. even without the fish it was a beautiful day on the lake and couldn't have asked for more.
[signature]
Good Post. Julie and I went bass fishing Wednesday ...first over by Sand Island and then by Kingman and the Hemingway. No bites all day. It was that cloudy day we were promised clear skies and 70. Guides bailed early and one told me he only had 15 that morning and 37 the previous day.
Trip out a few days prior I got 2 smallmouth on a jig off rocky shore up by Callville. They were aggressive. Not so on Wednesday.
Maybe we'll go Sunday.
[signature]
I was jones'n to PM or email ya. Hadn't heard from you in a while. Glad all is well and the boat is still a floatin'.

Cloudy days, which are rare in Vegas, typically are my better days on the water chasing LMB/SMB but in the summer.

This lower water has really changed our tactics/game. Usually only Stripers during the winter but the lower water levels our LMB/SMB fishing has gone to the dumpster. Going out all day for only a couple fish sure can take the fun out of it. Thousands of dollars of Bass fishing equipment on hand and not being touched hurts a little. Surely hoping for some serious snow in the Rockies the next couple winters so the lake starts filling!

Tom
[signature]
Though we didn't keep any fish on this trip it got Madi and me hungry for some fish snacks this windy weekend [Smile]

Haven't had a deep fryer in years (usually go with a cedar plank or electric fry pan for Stripers) so went with a make shift and did a big old pot on the gas stove with a couple inches of oil in it. 350-400 temps.

The fridge somehow engulfed any beer that was in it so had to compromise and hit the internet for batter ideas and so glad I did...

A can of Sprite soda. Go figure something as odd as that would be so good! (Madi was skeptical as I was being the mad cook in the kitchen.)

What I found called for 7-Up but figured Sprite was essentially the same thing.

1 cup of pancake mix.
1 egg
1 12oz can of Sprite.

Mixed and chilled in the fridge to set some for ~20 minutes.

1 cup of flour with salt, pepper, etc mixed in.

Dredge the fish fillet in the flour then into the Sprite batter and then into the oil for 2-3 minutes per side. For a little extra breading to it go flour, Sprite, flour then the oil.

Soooo goooood! A perfect light crunch to them, no doughy feel/texture at all, a light breading not overwhelming, etc. Couldn't be any better. My new batter! Beats a beer batter IMO.

[Image: LakeMead_09-19-15_012.jpg]

Bonus is leftovers! Nuked, shredded cheese, hot dog bun... Excellent brunch this morning!

Tom
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]I was jones'n to PM or email ya. Hadn't heard from you in a while. Glad all is well and the boat is still a floatin'.

Cloudy days, which are rare in Vegas, typically are my better days on the water chasing LMB/SMB but in the summer.

This lower water has really changed our tactics/game. Usually only Stripers during the winter but the lower water levels our LMB/SMB fishing has gone to the dumpster. Going out all day for only a couple fish sure can take the fun out of it. [/quote]
--------------------------------------
I had been quiet on the board, Mostly out rock climbing. Then I had some much needed boat maintenance. Got started on that when I had to take the Skeeter into Las Vegas Marine where they found a section of my fuel line had over the years been crushed to where it was letting air into the fuel line. Kudo's to Bob Miller for the excellent diagnostics as I was baffled.

Yeah! There's thousands of dollars of gear aboard. Probably several K in just rods and reels. [cool] and I am jonesin' for some upgraded electronics!

I'll dropshot, jig fish, crank, spoon and doodle for them. Pretty soon I be using a float n fly.

I don't mind fishing for 1 or 2 bites. Course that is not much fun with a teenager. Lower water is not bothering me either. There are still fresh weed beds down to maybe 20 ft. Findin' them fish is however problematical

Just a heads up....You'd want to be very careful motoring around in Swallow Bay. ...lots of unmarked reefs with only 2 ft or less over them.
------------------------------------
What's bugging me is a slow leak into the bilge and try as I might I can't find the source. I've had the leak for about 5 years and I think it's in the stern ...

Recently, .I changed out my starting Optima Blue Top and the 3 Trojans (one completely gave out leaving sulphur phosphate inside the take). I cleaned/neutralized the take completely and found a cracked livewell hose fitting. Thought that was my leak but apparently it was only part of the problem. Filled the bilge over the pumps, let it sit for 24 hours and no leak outside.

But put the Skeeter in the water holding it still and I have pumpable water in about an hour. I don't like having a slow leak..especially in the winter OCD I guess.

When I find a warmer day I'll launch with the Skeeter strapped down. When I release and move the oil reservoir aside, I can look into the take by laying across the dock planking.
[signature]
A leak one can't find is about as bad as an mysterious electrical issue. Not fun.

This is calling my name...

HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS

[Image: 2544898_orig.jpg]

The price point is awesome for a 12" screen! (Under $2300 here and there.)

Tom
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]Though we didn't keep any fish on this trip it got Madi and me hungry for some fish snacks this windy weekend [Smile]

Haven't had a deep fryer in years (usually go with a cedar plank or electric fry pan for Stripers) so went with a make shift and did a big old pot on the gas stove with a couple inches of oil in it. 350-400 temps.

The fridge somehow engulfed any beer that was in it so had to compromise and hit the internet for batter ideas and so glad I did...

A can of Sprite soda. Go figure something as odd as that would be so good! (Madi was skeptical as I was being the mad cook in the kitchen.)

What I found called for 7-Up but figured Sprite was essentially the same thing.

1 cup of pancake mix.
1 egg
1 12oz can of Sprite.

Mixed and chilled in the fridge to set some for ~20 minutes.

1 cup of flour with salt, pepper, etc mixed in.

Dredge the fish fillet in the flour then into the Sprite batter and then into the oil for 2-3 minutes per side. For a little extra breading to it go flour, Sprite, flour then the oil.

Soooo goooood! A perfect light crunch to them, no doughy feel/texture at all, a light breading not overwhelming, etc. Couldn't be any better. My new batter! Beats a beer batter IMO.

[.img]http://www.outlawrc.com/stuff/fishing/2015/Mead/LakeMead_09-19-15_012.jpg[/img]

Bonus is leftovers! Nuked, shredded cheese, hot dog bun... Excellent brunch this morning!

Tom[/quote]

Cool[Smile]
[signature]