Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get lessons
Hello all,

This year, I bought a fly fishing pole for a good deal on black Friday. I have no idea if I will like fly fishing, but I am committed to give it a good try.

I will be mostly trout fishing, so I picked up a Redington 5wt CT outfit. I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

I have heard from many people that they recommend taking a basic class to get started with casting, setup, fly choices, etc. I think this is a great idea, but have no idea where to go for this. I have seen a few places in the valley that offer something like.

Obviously, this wouldn't be until spring, but do any of you have any recommendations on a good place to take lessons? I would like to focus my learning on casting, where and how to locate fish, and fly choices/insect entomology.

One thing I don't want is a guide to just take me out and catch fish. I want to be taught how to do things right, not just taken out to fish.

Thanks!
[signature]
If you were to find the right guide, and state up front that you want an all-day "fly fishing introduction", it would be the best private instruction you could find. And late in the day, you'd catch a fish or two also. On-the-water lessons are 10x more valuable than only the classroom stuff. Both are needed, but a guide can teach you knots, casting, leader management, fly choices (that work!), actually show you where to look for fish (and you'll see the fish right there, not a picture!), show you different water types, pick up bugs from the river to show you, etc. The river is the place to learn and spur your interest. (or even a lake/pond)

Off-water classes are useful, don't get me wrong, but a day on the water is far more instructional, and easy to learn and remember from. You can read all the literature by yourself!

The ultimate would be a two or three day program where you did a day of classroom, and a day or two on the water. The bent rod with a fish on the line, and the take from a fish, really make things much more clear!

There's some good guides on the Green. Probably some of the rivers near the Wasatch too. Speak to a few and tell them exactly what you want, stressing introduction and learning, not catching. (not emails, real conversation, preferably in person) You'll get the right vibe from the right one.

Fish Tech or Anglers Den might also be good starting points. Start with a reputable fly shop closest to wherever you are. I'd avoid Cabela's, Sportsman's, etc.

And between now and spring, it won't hurt to browse a few fly fishing forums, pick up a couple of starter books, and get a feel for some basics, the terminology, and the sort of categories of things you might want to know. Don't believe everything, just absorb some basics.
[signature]
I bet if you asked Jim nicely he'd take you to his honey holes [sly]
[signature]
I'd gladly do that, and teach the casting, bugs, rigging, and what I described. But, there are those better in tune with today's stuff, and ways, than I am. Probably closer. Less biased too! Besides, by the time spring rolls around, I won't have many days off the big pond from April-June.

Now if someone wants to come over to the Green in Feb. or March . . .
[signature]
I like the Jim idea too. [Smile]
[signature]
Talk to Mickey at Fish Tech.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I like the Jim idea too. [Smile][/quote]

+1
[signature]
Epic tours in PC will be teaching a class very simular to what Jim is describing this spring.
The class will have both classroom time to teach the basics of insect identification, equipment choice, line to leader choice as it relates to fly size, casting technique and lots of practice. Day two will be an on the river day where all of the information learned in the classroom is put to use as well as further instruction in insect identification in the various stages of development, casting nymphs, dry flies, streamers and terrestrials, stripping techniques and proper catch and release techniques.

The class will be taught by an Orvis trained instructor and include lunches and transportation.

Shoot me a PM for more information.
[signature]
Thank you all for your great suggestions. It is a bit early to plan too much, but i will bookmark this page, and refer back to it come spring.

Tight lines!
[signature]
That Reddington CT 9 5 weight is a great rod. You will like it. Western Rivers has some beginning classes but won't start untill spring. Don't wait untill then though, do some research on line and get out on the water. Watch other fishermen and give it a try yourself. Then when you take a class you will have a bit of experience under your belt.

Good luck!
[signature]
Lots of good advice above. During the winter if you have time you can actually find a lot of the stuff you're wanting online. Youtube will shock you with how much fly fishing stuff it has on there. I learned a lot from fishing mags and Lefty Kreigh books. Even after 30 years of having a fly rod in my hand I still pick new things up and try them out on every trip.

Ask away and take pictures when you go for things you have questions on it will help people on here understand what you're asking.
[signature]
go into Anglers Den, talk to Lance or Wade. they will hook you up. My wife took their class, and she kills it on the fly rod now
[signature]
I know this was posted like a month ago, but I wanted to throw my .02 cents in.

I'll second the person who recommended Western River Fly Fishers. I've taken several classes and they put on the best one by far.

Cabelas also does a class on Saturdays that is four or five hours and free. They teach the basic knots, some insect identification, and then you go outside for a casting lesson.

Anyways, good luck! I hope you learn to love it as much as I have.
[signature]