Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice rods for Lake Trout?
What are some ice rods you'd recommend for going after lake trouts?

I'm mainly going to be hitting fish lake and maybe one time next year to flaming gorge.
[signature]
I bought a couple of the new Jawjacker rods. They are on their web site store and come in three sizes. The biggest one feels really good for jigging big fish from the deep. I haven't had a chance to try them yet in deep water but I think they will do the job. They are built out of solid graphite all the way to the end of the cork so they won't break in the jawjacker.

Windriver
[signature]
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
Jim Williams makes some short rods that are perfect for ice, he even uses them in open water, I think they are 44-48"? go to his site [url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/"]http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/[/url] he has pictures on there, not cheap but they are the right rods for lake trout.
[signature]
Yeah Bobco, that's what I thought of too. I have 2 of his casting style rods, but he also makes them as spinning rods. They're what he uses for day-to-day laker jigging, and obviously he and his clients have caught grundles of big lakers with them. They'd be perfect for the ice too, since they're only 47" long and have a very strong backbone. Howsomevers, they're $150 each, so you'd better be serious about catching some bigguns. He (and I) use the Calcutta 200b reels, and they'll be a mere $200 each. [:/]
[signature]
HT Laker Pro Series ($22) I have 4 of the 45" Roads (Heavy) and they are great for jigging in deep water.

Shakespeare Ugly Stick Ice fishing rods ($30) 30" Walleye/Pike and they work great for the jaw jacker set up.

Braided/Flouro (Non Stretchy) line with a mono leader work great as a combo. I was suggest to watch your leader. Some of the lakers are the gorge have some teeth that can fray your leader, It may not be a bad idea to switch leaders every fish or every other fish.
[signature]
Don't forget the old tried and true Eagle Claw ice rod.
Plenty of back bone and oversize eyelets that help keep from freezing.
The best part is the price.
Just be sure to use them with a wire indicator to detect light bites.
[signature]
Medium to medium heavy rods. These have a bit of a back bone to
Them.
[signature]
All of the above, and don't expect a big bite from a laker. A 30 pound laker is likely to bite like a 5 ounce perch!
[signature]
On the ice do you need to use a leader when fishing that deep or could you just tie braided line right to your jig?
[signature]
Speaking for myself, and I'm no expert, I can't think of any situation where I would tie a jig directly to braid.
[signature]
I agree with mister completely. I've noticed they bite on the downside of the jigging so it makes it hard to feel a bit.
[signature]
I have been making 42 inch rods for several years now with great success
I like the ones I build because they can be used year round.
And are great when fishing from a boat,pontoon, float tube,kayak or even in your ice shak.
The rods I build are almost unbreakable and sensitive enough for that lite bite or hard hit and run.
[signature]
Did someone say you need a heavy rod & line? I use 2 & 4 pound test on a light medium HT 36 inch rod with small lures.. Biggest to date 42 pounds and I get my fair share on fish over 20 pounds.. Every winter at Flaming Gorge.. Not saying this is the answer for every but it is the key to making fishing a combo of skill & fun
Quote:
Quote:
[signature]
You certainly have playing large fish on light tackle down to a science. How long does it take you to get one landed?
[signature]
Varies .. Some fight harder then others .. Usually about 20 minutes the same as with larger tackle .. The fish don't stress with the oxygen rich cold winter water and release very well 🎣
[signature]