Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua report
Just got back from the hardest day at Mantua, between slow fishing and the pucker factor with the thin crust over 3 inches of slush over 3-5" of ice. Found our trout where there was vegetation and a foot of snow on the slush. I ended up with 3 bows and deerinator got the smelly skunk. Disappointing day but the weather is still warm. Hopefully pineview freezes soon.
[signature]
Did you even try for the panfish?

Thanks for the report....
[signature]
Sounds like my experience yesterday. Wouldn't recommend it.
Wait for PV.
[signature]
I think I'll head up there tomorrow morning to chase the Perch and gills. With the ice still in the iffy range, if you see me, just say, "Hi" from a distance. Smile
[signature]
We went for panfish. But they were scarce and lock jaw. No perch or bluegill or bass even wanted to play.
[signature]
I had zero luck there today. In fact, the only sign of fish was a little 2-incher (maybe) that swam by the camera.
[signature]
I fished Mantua Friday as well, not much luck. Moved several times trying to locate fish with my new Showdown 5.6. Ended up with wet feet and 2 small perch. I did hook a couple of small "slime rockets".
[signature]
Thanks for the report Bob. I was thinking about heading up there on Monday but all reports sound poor so far. Were you fishing in the same area where we did so good last year?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No, we went straight out from the northwest parking area about 200 yards from shore and worked our way back. Most of the trout were coming from the 8 to 10 FOW area closer to shore. But my big one came out of 13 FOW suspended at about 7 feet. The perch came from the deeper water as well.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Nice job. You're the only one I've heard catching much of anything on that pond. Many reports of bad fishing, for whatever the reason.

Starting to wonder if they poisoned it this last fall and forgot to tell anyone. haha

Mantua sure isn't what she used to be.
[signature]
I know it is a long way from there but did you see anyone over in the spot on the other side?
[signature]
I fished off the point in the east side and Sad to say i had worse luck than all these other guys. I had one light nibble and that was it all mornin.
Slow morning for us on the south east side. 4 of us landed 1 perch and 1 rainbow. Bite slowed down once the sun came up.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
Welcome to the site HD and thanks for the info. Now I know where I won't be going. Last year that area kicked butt, how deep was the water you were fishing in?
WH2
[signature]
I hit the ice about 7:30 this morning and caught a fat 16" rainbow 30 seconds after I dropped a wax worm-tipped jig down the hole. That turned out to be the only fish of the day. I cleaned it before I left and found several 1 to 2" baby bluegill in its stomach. I counted about 100 people on the ice today. People seemed to outnumber fish caught 4 to 1.
Perch can be seen on the bottom but the are suffering from a severe case of lockjaw.
The warmer temps are melting the snow and have made for 2-4" of water on the top side on the hard deck.
I may not visit here again until I hear great reports about fat perch.
5 hours on the ice today and just one fish to show for it. Still a good day!
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I know it is a long way from there but did you see anyone over in the spot on the other side?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yes, there were 2 over there. Two far for me to walk pulling a sled in that slush. I was lucky to make it as far as I did. They walked in from the east or south edge as there were no vehicle tracks going around the north side to the back parking lot.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Fished it this morning with excellent success I landed at least 20. Gotta find em and move when you lose em. You need a high quality rod so you can read the bites. Here is a few pics.
[signature]
Nice pics!
[signature]
Without having sonar with me today id say we ranged from 10-15' of water. We put quite a few holes in that pond trying to locate fish but i guess it just wasnt my day. And thanks for the welcome i look forward to learning/sharing with you guys
You the man!
[signature]