Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Idaho panfish?
Looking for suggestions of some lakes in southern Idaho to hit for panfish: crappie, perch, bluegill. Does anyone know how Montpelier has been? I have also heard there are perch in Glendale and Foster...any truth to this? Stone Reservoir any good for anything? Thanks for any info ahead of time! PM me if you would rather not tell everyone.
[signature]
Stone has catchable perch and trout
[signature]
You mean like these? Southern Idaho is a great place to find panfish [Smile]
[inline gill.jpg]
[inline "perch 2.jpg"]
[signature]
Sheesh! Gstott those are some healthy fish! I'd kill to get into some perch like that! [Wink]What body of water did those come out of, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you would rather.
[signature]
Those were both from Condie, though the perch was caught several years ago before the draw down that killed off a lot of fish. However, the gill was caught this summer so the fish seem to be recovering. I also ran into a bunch of smaller crappie there too. Hopefully they grow larger. I don't target the panfish too much however, both of those were caught out deep while drop shotting for bass.

Pretty much all of the reservoirs in the area have some panfish. Weston has some really nice perch too. I catch perch like this every year.

[inline perch.jpg]
Lamont has a bunch of bluegill as well as some perch and I used to catch some crappie there too. Glendale has some nice gills and crappie as well as some perch. Same for Twin Lakes. Winder has a bunch of gills, though I haven't caught many large ones and there are a few small perch in there too. Foster was drawn down a couple of years in a row, but word is they've put some warm water fish back in there, plus I'd imagine some washed in from Glendale. Johnson has a lot of gills and they seem to be getting bigger. Oneida has perch and green sunfish, and if you're looking for fish to eat, there are walleye too. Actually the smallmouth in there could use some thinning out. There's no minimum size on them to encourage harvest of smaller bass there. They're really pretty tasty. They kind of smell when you gut them because they eat a lot of crayfish which smell pretty foul when they're half digested, but the flesh is mild and makes a good taco.
[signature]
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!
[signature]
No problem, glad I could help [Smile] Btw, one other option if you want a mess of fillets is to go to Treasureton. Largemouth were illegally introduced there and they want them out, so there's no size or creel limit on them there. You can catch small bass pretty much non stop there.
[signature]
Always appreciate your input... Thanks for your continued contributions. I for one have been the beneficiary of info you provided more than once!

Thanks much!
[signature]
Glad I could help. I don't mind sharing, though I do have a few secrets I keep to myself [Wink]
[signature]