Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaw jacker
Pulled the trigger and purchased a jaw jacker today. Just wondering if any of you have had good/bad experiences with them. Online reviews were great. Just wouldnt mind seeing some local reviews. Thanks in advance!
[fishin]
I bought one Jaw Jacker at the biggining of last year. It worked so well I ended up buying four by "Ice off!" The reason I needed four is my 5 and 7 year old grand daughters won't go with me fishing unless they have one to use. Because the bite is so lite ice fishing, the fish just touch the line and it triggers. Yes! They do miss fish occasionally but they catch fish when you can't see or feel the bite. I caught fish on Strawberry last winter that I never saw the line move all day but the Jacker caught the fish. The real thrill is, when you hear it jerk the pole, the adrenalin surges. They are fun!
[signature]
I bought one a couple years back and love it!
It works great for dead sticking on your second pole. They are pretty durable and can adjust to fit most ice poles.
A few drawbacks:
The trigger mechanism will freeze up if it gets wet. Once frozen it loses its sensitivity to bites. If the temp is above freezing or if you set it upon your ice tent you should be ok.
It is hard to jig your lure once the jaw jacker is set. Working with the line tends to put your face right in the line of fire if the trigger gets bumped or you get a bite.
The rod holder may be a bit too narrow for some pole handles. I had to carve my handle down on my newest rod.
That said... I caught my first fish of this ice season on a Jaw Jacker!
I think you will love it!
[signature]
Jaw jackers are awesome. I've been using them since they came out. The key is going as light on the trigger as you can stand. Most of the time I have no tension at all when using light jigs. That bringsto point #2... Use small jigs. The jaw jacker works best when paired with a jig the fish can get in their mouth. If they tail grab the jig it won't work. The jigs that come with the jacker are perfect for most trout. Key #3 is to find the rods that have the right tension to make it work correctly. Jaw jacker just came out with their own rods that fit the jacker and are solid graphite down the butt so they won't split. The small one and the medium are great for most trout. The longest one is too big for most applications. These rods are not available in stores yet but they have them on their web site.

As you can see I'm a big fan. They keep my kids very busy.
Windriver
[signature]
That was kind of my reasoning behind getting one. I like to explore different depths of water until i find fish so if i set the jacker on my 2nd rod 10-15' away from me i can hopefully avoid looking like an idiot sprinting across the ice if my 2nd gets hit. I have been playing with it a little and it looks like im going to enjoy it. As far as icing up the trigger could you coat it in de-icing washer fluid like the package says or maybe rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle?
Ice in the trigger is a real problem. Just be careful. Move your jacker to the side when fighting a fish. If it gets iced remove center of jacker and tap on knee. The ice usually falls out.
Windriver
[signature]
I have several of these and they are very handy. When you get tired of jigging or need a place to set your pole, I set it in the jaw jacker so all my rods have loops on the end. I have lubed up all my jaw jackers with Frabil sub zero grease. This keeps them from freezing up as bad. If they get really wet, they can still get stiff but the grease really helps. Use a stiffer rod and setting when they are freezing up so the rod will activate the mechanism. Good luck with it and like mentioned before, I like to set it to trigger with as little pressure as possible.
[signature]
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to be extremely careful while using them, especially while attaching your rod to the Jaw Jacker while arming it. A rod smacking one's face or worse yet hitting an eye is not a fun experience. Fortunately, all I have experienced is a smack to a cold cheek.
[signature]
My wife just got me one formchristmas. It will be fun using it.
[signature]
I can't post pics from where I am, but I made one out of a bucket. Takes a hole drilled for the rod-butt, and a notch cut to cradle the rod. I used a simple wire trigger mechanism on an adjustable length cord (which is important, the adjustability), that attached at the bottom of the bucket.

The commercially available trigger would work as well or better, on this set up, and they are three for 12.00, or even less online, so why not?

The main drawback of the one I designed was that you have to finagle the wire to adjust sensitivity.

I used them side by side with a jawjacker, and did just as well, but I only used it a couple of times. Took it apart to "improve" it and never got it back together again. It worked great at PV at night for crappies.
[signature]
I make mine from pvc pipe to save weight. I run a mouse trap as my trigger works really well if y'all want pics pm me
[signature]
This is great feedback from everyone. I too have really enjoyed using them. I usually take my young kids along with other kids in the neighborhood and the 5 jaw jackers we use have been a life saver for kids that don't pay close attention to bites. Another thing that I have found that works really well is to clip a bell on the pole so the kids can hear it go off. Sometimes they are hard to hear if they are not right next to you.

This may sound obvious but me and my kids enjoy fishing without a jaw jacker and watching the flasher or underwater camera much more. That being said, the Jaw Jacker is the best way to set up a second pole in my opinion. Good luck with your new purchase!
[signature]
Here is a link to those triggers:
http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Quickset-H...B00IBM4UNW
[signature]
Hardecker

I bought a Jaw Jacker this year and have loved it! I always fish with 2 poles and its great for the dead stick. The one thing that I did to make it so that I always know when it goes off is I put a bell on my rod tip. When its tripped the bell rings and when the bell keeps ringing I know that it hooked a fish. Just food for though to make sure that I always get my butt over to the pole to not loose the fish. Hope this helps!!

Clem
[signature]