Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideal Boat ?
If you could buy any boat to fish Utah from Bear Lake to Powell - What would be the ideal fishing boat and why? I am boat shopping and have fished out of mainly bassfishing types of boats but I am a little unsure about what I really want. Utah has such a wide range of different fishing I'm Confused on the boat type I really need.

Thanks!
[signature]
Buy two!! LOL, inside joke! I think that you should choose based on what type of fishing you mostly target. Most boats can easily be utilized for all utah fishing from what I have seen. Consider budget, safety, and capacities for your particular needs.
[signature]
You can buy 4 used sleds, a trailer and a rig to tow them with for what you'd spend on a boat. Buy these and bum off your boat owning buddies in the summer. Works for me!
[signature]
THE UTAH BOAT SHOW IS FEB 5-8 AT SOUTH TOWN EXPO CENTER IN SANDY. I WENT LAST YEAR AND IT WAS GREAT. YOU CAN CHECK OUT ALL TYPE'S OF BOATS. MY FATHER AND I FISH OUT OF 22' TROPHY. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH WEIGHT U WANT TO PULL AROUND. ALUMINUM BOATS ARE LIGHTER TO TOW. BUT FIBERGLASS HANDLES THE BIG WATER BETTER (DEEP V) FISHON................
[signature]
[cool][#000080][size 2]Lets cut to the chase, shall we! I would get a Ranger 521 vx/vs Comanche. 21'3" in length and 92 1/2" across. It has 2 26 gallon fuel tanks, plus you have your choice in engines(rated from 200-250HP). There are alot more accessories to mention.[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Hey Tome the Rangers are nice - may be the best boat period. Anyone know how they they compare to the Lunds? Aluminum vs. the fiberglass?
[signature]
when the winds come up and the water get rough,i will take my deep vee over a bass boat any day.its a good thing bass boats go fast cuz when the winds are up they gotta haul butt to the boat ramp ,and iam still fishing.entex as answering your question,you really have to ask yourself what kind of fishing you want to do.if you plan on trailering a lot a aluminum boat is lighter,might make things easier.the up comeing boat show is a good place to start.i have a 18 ft alumacraft love it great for the gorge,i looked at lunds,and a few crestliners.but for me it was a matter of getting what i wanted for a trade in on my old boatthe place ibought mine from made me a great deal.also another thing to consider is a o/b or a i/b.i have always perfreed o/bs you can get on the water sooner in the spring,and stay longer in the fall.what ever you decide make sure you got the power you need a underpowered boat is no fun,good luck and let us know when and what you buy.
[signature]
I've had a few boats. A 1997 ProCraft bass boat (Fast), Sold it to buy a 1999 21' SeaRay set up for fishing and Skiing, and Now I have a new 18' Lund fisherman. All three have their pro's and cons. But for just all-around fishin in various lakes in Utah and Wyoming, I'd have to say the Lund is the best! I can tow the Lund behind my 5th wheel trailer to the Gorge, or I can tow it by itself with just about any vehicle ( under 3000lbs with trailer, 2 motors, and gear.) You can sure tell the Lund was designed by and for fisherman!!! Everything is designed with the fisherman in mind. I loved the speed and stability of the ProCraft bass boat ( 65+ MPH), but in rough water, you just got soaked to the bones and it would get scary! Bass boats are best if the weather is good, if not they have to get off the lake. I tried using our really nice 1999 Searay 210 for a family and fishin boat, but it just sits too high in the water and it's really heavy!!! I put a kicker on the back and and a electric trolling motor on it and I just couldn't get it to hold position in the wind for vertical jigging. Besides the wife and kids hated fish in the family boat, so I soon figured out I needed a dedicated boat for fishin. The Lund allows me to stay out in the big water and to get across the lake quickly at 45mph, albeit not as fast as the bass boat! I found the best deal and selection of Lunds to be at Townsend Marine in Montana. Unfortuantely, I found the our local Lund dealer here not easy to work with on both price or service, and I wanted Yamaha 4 stroke motors. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure they're a good dealer or they wouldn't be around as long as they have. I almost bought a Crestliner from a really good dealer in SLC. From my experience, the Lund is the best all-around Utah Fishing boat!
[signature]
The ultimate fishing machine. Enough said............

Good Kayaking, Kayote

[Image: l37841.jpg]

I just had to add a pic of the new Yak I'm getting this spring. It's an Ocean Kayak Prowler. Brand new on the market this year. Sweeeeeet. 15 feet 4.5 inches long and 28.5 inches wide. This will be my open ocean beasty. Notice the fishfinder and live bait tank. Custom made for offshore angling. Oops, I think I'm drooling LMAO. The thresher sharks are gonna die. Hehehehehehe

[Image: l67408.jpg]
[signature]
Marketing techniques that bring brand names to the top often give the appearance of the best.

Look close and you will see.

[url "http://www.hellsbayboats.com/capesable/capesable.htm#"][Image: th_cape%20sable%20sided.jpg][/url] [left][font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]The Cape Sable™ 21 represents another milestone in Hell's Bay's continued commitment to building the finest fishing crafts in the world. Outperforming every boat in it's class, at every level, it just also happens to be the finest-built and most beautiful 21' on the water. Like all of our boats, it has been designed from the keel up with one thing in mind…..FISHING! With blistering speeds, rough water handling capability and the finest fishing appointments available, the Cape Sable 21™ is about to change the face of big water angling.[/size][/font][/left] [left][url "http://www.hellsbayboats.com/capesable/capesable.htm#"][Image: th_cape%20sable%20sidedf.jpg][/url][/left] [left][url "http://www.hellsbayboats.com/capesable/capesable.htm#"][Image: th_cape%20sable%20sideb.jpg][/url][/left] [left][url "http://www.hellsbayboats.com/capesable/capesable.htm"][Image: capesable.jpg][/url][/left] [left]In my opinoin, theres popular, well marketed boats, and theres real boats. [/left] [left]You want to get serious about a fishing boat, there she is.[/left] [left]A boat big enough to handle the big water from bear lake, flaming gorge, lake mead, and powell. Small enough to launch on willard, mantua, pineview, and many many other small lakes around the state. [/left] [left]Built like no other. [/left] [left] [/left]
[signature]
I have a trophy 19' center console. It rocks for fishing and does a great job with the family. I have a family of 4 and it functions well. Does great on rough water and is easy enough to launch on the smaller lakes or shallow lakes. Heck you can even pull the kids behind the boat for tube/ski if you wanted to. I will be going with a center console/walk around for my next boat hands down.
[signature]
If your budget allows.............?
[signature]
Sure predator sure, thats a mighty fine boat!!!!! But..........................

does it have a pisser?!?! [Wink][Tongue]

[Image: introLSi.jpg]
[signature]
Teroy - All boats have a pisser - some have a door - some don't [laugh]

Kayote - What ya gonna do with a 20-30 lb Mack pullin you around in that Yak? I'm afraid my big arsh ain't made for fishun from those [Wink] I do have a yak that we use to duk hunt out of some and I imagine its quite comical watching me get in and out of it. I'm 6'3" 265 #'s and I'll never have that thing in more than 4 ft of water.

Good ideas guys - keep them coming! Predator that is a nice boat $$$
[signature]
How bout this one? Seriously, there is no "ideal" boat. There are ideal boats for each person. Shop around, don't rush and think about what you'll be using it for. You will answer your own questions.
[signature]
I'm a little bias here but have a great background with many different boats. I grew up on the Columbia River - Big Water and have seen and used many different makes & models... Jet Sleds, Ocean going vessels to 42' and everything in between....

Here my suggestion for the family fishing and fun boat....

SPORT & FISH SERIES [Image: series_sport.jpg]

This boat in my option has a wide range of usages and is SAFE...

Because you will find SAFETY is #1, then fishing, the fun...

Good luck with your choice and you might wait until the boat show in March at the South Town Expo - they usually have some discounts going at the show....
[signature]
A 30 pound mack?. A 30 pound mack is for a kids toy boat. Kayaks are for the true hardcore monster slammers. You had to get me started, didn't you. Here's your 30 pound mack. LMAO

[Image: l67548.jpg]

[Image: l67547.jpg]

[Image: l67545.jpg]

[Image: l67546.jpg]

[Image: l67544.jpg]
[Image: l67543.jpg]
[signature]
Kayote: You are having entirely too much fun with this!
[signature]
I,m impressed.
[signature]
Me too!!!!!![cool]
[signature]