Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Creek, ID 12/28
Spent a half day at Deep Creek outside of Malad on 12/28 due to all of us waiting for Utah to completely freeze up.

Ice: 5-7" mixed translucent and frost. Little to no snow pack on top
Air temp: Low -7 High 14
Water Clarity: Green off color with <5' visibility
Access: 12" Snow; 4x4 required

Our lines were in by 9:00 and we pulled out at 2:00. Action was consistent with fish coming in at 25-30 ft and 12-20 ft in 36 f of water. We kept to various locations surrounding the point by the dam and restroom. Fish would pass approximately every 30 minutes. The 3 of us landed 4 fish and and several more on.

We used typical jig setups with Swedish Pimples and Jigs with White and or pink Cutter bugs tipped with wax worm. The white color seemed to do better. Acton was consistent with occasional light jigging followed by dead resting. Fishing slowed around noon. Hits were soft and oft times an incomplete strike and or hitting the jig head rather than the hook.

Reports have been coming in that Daniels is fishing well, but with high angler pressure.
[signature]
I have never been there. how far do you have to drive off road to the lake in 12 inches of snow?

Ive heard Daniels has been fished out any rumors of that being true?
[signature]
The road is plowed through the turn off to the reservoir. I'd say it is less than 1/8 of a mile.

Daniels is definitely not fished out. They have had artificial and barbless laws in place as long as I can remember. I fly fish it in the Spring and Fall from a pontoon boat every year and have great success with their above average sized rainbows.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.. Have to go try it. Just getting into ice fishing and excited to go.

We go quite a bit to Daniels in the summer, one of my favorite places but haven't tried it in the winter. I heard its packed in the winter with out much success.
[signature]
[quote CMP]Thanks for the info.. Have to go try it. Just getting into ice fishing and excited to go.

We go quite a bit to Daniels in the summer, one of my favorite places but haven't tried it in the winter. I heard its packed in the winter with out much success.[/quote]Daniels has been slaughtered lately, more people up there fishing right now than I've seen in years. All the pressure has made the fish pretty weary
[signature]