Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
73.5", 11.25 pound RBT Starvation
OK, it was the total length of my four keepers and my estimate of their total weight but it got you to look at the post. We (me and WyoGuy) were two of the others that Perchinski mentioned in his post at Bunny Hollow today in search of perch. Nary a perch was iced by anyone within bino range of our location.
We started at about 8:00 a.m. and fished until 3:00 p.m.. We caught about 12 rainbows, several of them were true Starvy Steelhead.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc127...oozlua.jpg
Big one on the measuring board was 19.75" and about 3.25 pounds.

The ice in Rabbit Gulch formed quickly this week and it was about 3.5 to 3.75 inches but hard and clear. There is only a skiff of snow on the ice so it should build thickness quickly with the predicted temperatures for the next several days. We talked to some other fishermen who walked all over the mid to upper end of Rabbit Gulch and they told us the ice was somewhat thinner toward the main body of the lake. I would not suggest the use of sleds or ATVs until the ice is a little thicker. I was told there was open water at the Rabbit Gulch point and the main channel as late as Tuesday of this week. There was no open water anywhere in sight today.

There were some people fishing the area near the US40 bridge but I don't know how they may have done.

We fished in water that was 19 to 28 feet deep just out from the parking area at Rabbit Gulch. We caught the 'bows on white or green jigs tipped with minnow pieces, mealworms or crawlers. Some of the rainbows were near the bottom and others came through suspended at 10 to 14 feet.

The access is good and a car can get in there with the current conditions. Remember the State Park does charge their fees all year, so pay the fee or buy a season pass.

I'm hoping there will be a big crowd at Starvy this weekend and maybe someone can find the perch we all know are somewhere in that pond. Reports expected.

Tight lines and stay safe. Cleats, ice picks, throwable rescue rope, Common Sense.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the update TopH20!
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[quote TopH2O]OK, it was the total length of my four keepers and my estimate of their total weight but it got you to look at the post.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yes! It! Did! [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Good job Mike. I hope to meet you there right after the January Cascade trip. Should be plenty of ice on Starvation by them for quads and sleds. I'll bring the canned, smoked kokanee and crackers.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the report. I will be on Rabbit Gulch tomorrow looking for those perch, too. We found them there in Oct and I hope they haven't moved too far.

Looks like there will be several of us at Cascade in Jan. I'll be there 1/11 thru the 16th. Want to catch the ice tournament, on the 16th, but don't plan to participate. I think Packfan is planning on being there about that time, too. Will have my iPad to communicae and will share coordinates if I find some of those jumbos. Good luck at both the Gulch and Cascade.n Trueblue
[signature]
As Mike said there are surly perch in Rabbit gulch somewhere, but we only know where they aren't. There were a couple of guys showed up around 2 pm who were drilling along the South side, but they were moving a lot, so must not have been finding much. If you go be safe, have fun and submit a report.
[signature]
Excellent title and great report. Got everyone lookin I'm sure. Hope the perch show up somewhere!
[signature]