Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas auger hates high altitude
Went to Huntington and my auger would start but barely run unless I pumped the primer bulb while it was running. And if I slacked on that it died flooded and won't start for ten minutes. Can I run a different octane or gas oil mix. I am running 85 octane with factory recommend 25-1 oil mix. Are ther oxygenated gasolines avalible will that help? Auger ran fine when I got home but at Huntington not fine and at Scofield it barely had enough power to get through ice. Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
[signature]
Frozen water molecule's ( or drops) in the carburetor.
Probably came from fuel because of age or storage.
Many products on the marked you can add to fuel that keeps the water from freezing when exposed to a really cold environment..
Symptoms don't resemble altitude but rather really cold.
[signature]
Sounds about right. Gas line antifreeze like HEET might help, but try a powersports or marine store for additives. Mixing the gas a TINY bit higher ratio helps my chainsaws when it's really cold, as does adding a really hot spark plug.
[signature]
Bad or wet gas. Might could be. I keep the motor in cab of truck it was plenty warm when I arrived and I started it immediately after arriving. Before venturing out on ice.
When it ran better at Scofield and even better this morning after sitting out in the cold all night. I felt I eliminated the bad gas possibility. I will put the gas in the weed bed and try again. Sure sucks I can't simulate high altitude at home. Thanks for the insight dog lover.
[signature]
I always have run ethanol free gas in my small engines and have never had a problem with the high altitude. Auger starts up on the first or second pull and runs like a charm
[signature]
A "hot spark plug" I'm not sure how to define this term. Do you mean literally heating the plug or playing with the gap or some other trick. Owners manual has these specs. Compatible types of plugs NKG BPM7A, Bosh WS7F, champion CJ7Y, Torch L7T. With gap size 0.028~0.031". Thanks Springbuck for the help.
I should take account for the -2 air running into the carb that will cool it off quickly. Has anyone tried the premixed fuel I saw at lowes. I don't remember the products name. It's tempting still not sure it's worth the $.
[signature]
It would be nice to know what auger you have but I am assuming it is an older auger with a tecumseh engine since you are mixing a 25 to 1 oil mix. If it is, you should get yourself a really good synthetic oil (I use to use amsoil 100:1 oil) and mix it about 40 to 1. Always use no ethanol gas. I have tried the premix gas you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes and it ran like crap. It smelled very odd too. Stick to good old 88 octane non ethanol. When you are higher altitude, the setting should be set a touch leaner. It sounds to me that it is too rich and you have a bad gas mixture. Hope that helps. PM me if you have any other questions.
[signature]
I now run a electric augar. No gas smell, runs everytime, quiet, women and kids can opperate, drills 20 plus holes on a charge, and it runs on same batts as the flasher. I don't know why these are not more popular they cost about the same as the gas ones.
[signature]
I have a predator auger. 3 years old. Had the same gas in it 3 weeks ago at Scofield ran fine. Not saying it's new gas got it in July for the mower. Glad I didn't go get the pre mix stuff at the hardware store. Thanks! The amsoil 100-1 I think I remember the guys on The Next Bite show saying all 2 strokes can run fine with a 100-1 ratio. If that's true the gas theoretically will be less vicious and more tolerant to the cold. I'm going to try your advice non ethanol 88 octane with amsoil 100-1. But should I mix it to the 25-1 ratio or can I go leaner 40-1?
[signature]
Go leaner for sure. I would go 40:1. It wont hurt the auger at all. Ran mine for years with a 40:1 or even 50:1 mix with good oil. Can't say I've ever heard of a predator auger.
[signature]
I am going to buy an Ion auger when I win the lotto. Can't swallow the cost yet. A fello came to my rescue with a electric drill adapted 6" auger. Had a decent Dwalt drill that broke in two while drilling for me. He was nice for helping. I drilled the holes by hand after that. He had a nills auger first time I got to try one. They really grab and cut the ice. I'm glad I didn't buy one of those drill adapters. My 8" mora might have broke several drills over the last three years ( I've had the gas auger 3 years).
[signature]
It's a Harbor Freight dirt auger I just altered my mora blade to fit. Got it for$180. Wish I knew how to adjust the lean rich on the carb.
[signature]
with being from harbor freight it may just not be a reliable motor, but you definitely need to lean out the oil mixture to 50to1 and find the mixture screw and adjust to run at higher altitudes if you are pumping the primer it means it is not getting enough fuel. which is strange be cause it should get richer at high alt. taking away oil will add more fuel because the oil will displace fuel in the mixture. I hope this helps you, p/s please refrain fro buying harbor freights junk it generally doesn't work and also doesn't last .
[signature]
[quote mtncat1], p/s please refrain fro buying harbor freights junk it generally doesn't work and also doesn't last .[/quote]

Depends upon what you get. I have a few items from their that are still going strong.
[signature]
It has to have an adjustment on it somewhere. Some engine have plugs that block access to adjustment screws however. Try the better gas oil mix and try that. Then once you win the lotto Wink, go buy a propane auger. I bought the new Eskimo HC40 and really like it. I personally don't like fishing in less than a 10" hole.
[signature]
Yes harbor freight generally don't translate to quality. However I have a limited budget and my options were used auger, drill adaptor auger or new harbor freight auger. I'm hoping the bad gas is the problem with it. So far this is the first issue in some 200 holes drilled. When I win the lotto we should go tarpon fishing in Florida my treat. Thanks for the advice!
[signature]
One more ? Can I find ethanol free gas just anywhere?
[signature]
if it has worked in the past for you it should work again change the gas add new 50 to 1 premix and see what happens , p/s a good used auger would have been my choice but hind sight doesn't help in this situation . I ave got a few things at habor freight that worked for me but most don't . it's just a buyer beware type of deal especially when it comes to power tools .
[signature]
http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=UT Here should be some places that sell ethanol free gas. I would call before going.
[signature]
[quote Baitfish55]One more ? Can I find ethanol free gas just anywhere?[/quote]

The pilot/Thomas fuel dealer in woods cross carries it. As wells as the maverick in delta and the Thomas fuel dealer in price.
[signature]