Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waders for ice fishing
Has anybody used their waders for ice fishing? Want to stay dry and warm out on the ice. Or would ski pants be better?
[signature]
yup.... not always but when I am expecting below zero temps or an all niter I where my mine... under my coveralls
[signature]
It's all about layers. It is easier to take layers off at the lake than put them on. So go prepared for cold. If it warms while you are there then the solution is rather simple.
[signature]
Nope, I ice fish in snowmobiling gear actually, either KLIM or MotorFist, its waterproof, abrasion resistant, warm, and breaths awesome. By default I end up drilling holes with the gasser though also because everyone knows I can blow through them and not worry about getting wet.
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are a couple of situations in which having a good pair of insulated waders are ideal. First would be when there is deep snow and slush on the ice. Many so called ice fishing boots are not waterproof and you get wet feet. Second would be when warm weather and/or a rising water level makes the ice next to shore very thin. You may have to slog through a bit of water to reach solid ice.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
i have this weird irrational fear of wearing waders and falling in and them filling with water and weighing me down and drowning lol... i go with snowmobiling layers a good pair of sorel boots or the cabelas equivelant. gortex outer shells are nice to keep you dry. nothing will ruin a good fishing like being cold or wet or both. just my 2 cents! hope it helps!
[signature]
Waders full of water in the water don't weigh you down. Water in water is weightless. It's when you try to get up out of the water that they are heavy.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Either way you can't get out of the hole in the ice with waders on. So you may not sink, but you are trying to drag an extra 100 pounds of water out of the lake too. Waders are not such a great idea, unless you go with neoprene I guess they won't fill with water as much. But either way, I would not ice fish with waders on. Make sure you have good water proof boots, and layers with a good water proof shell on the top.
[signature]
I don't use waders, but waterproof sorel's, of course - every time!

Combination of waterproof and insulated sorel's and good snow pants that cinch up tight to the boot can save your day if you accidentally step into an ice hole.
[signature]
i should have been a little more specific weighing me down in a sense that you cant pull your self out of the water once you've fallen in. i agree with your comment on water in water is weightless. but getting out of the water is always the hard part right !
just a side note tip for ice fishing its always nice to have an extra set of clothes in the truck.. took some friends ice fishing for the first time and his girlfriend slipped and her leg went ALL the way down in the hole.. luckily they had spare change of clothes in the truck and we kept fishing
[signature]
Used both applications, ski pants and waders. Ski pants a little more freedom and you do not have to really worry about ripping them when your moving around (if your moving). So I like ski pants better.
[signature]
I just got a pair of Striker ice fishing bibs and they are the best thing I have ever worn. Super warm, water proof, tough yet flexible, they FLOAT you too, good pockets, padded knees and butt, and has a "beverage holder". They run a little big so get one size smaller than what you usually would wear. They are a little pricey but worth it. I first got some Frabil bibs but none of the Frabil bibs have a front zipper that zips down low enough to relieve yourself, you have to take the shoulder straps off your shoulders which sucks if your wearing a jacket. So I sent them back.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]This is just one man's opinion based on more than a few years experience. [cool][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The only waders suitable for ice fishing would be chest high neoprene with 1600 gram Thinsulate insulation in the boots. The boots will keep your feet warm in any temperatures you are likely to experience in Utah. I have hunted waterfowl on ice many times and have never gotten cold feet with these.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Second, the neoprene waders tend to be very tight fitting around your body and will usually take several minutes to become full with water, if ever. I have fallen in waist deep water several times wearing them and have never come close to filling up with water. Just a little damp in the chest/stomach area.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And then there is the insulation and heat retention qualities of neoprene. Its the same material they use in scuba diving suits. You get in the water, let the water seep into the diving suit, and within minutes, your body has warmed up the water and the neoprene keeps it insulated from the outside water and keeps you comfortable even when diving in very cold water.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]So in my opinion, there really isn't a downside to wearing neoprene waders with 1600 gram boots for ice fishing.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And just for your consideration, what do you suppose the weight of the water your clothing will absorb will be if you were to fall through the ice? Certainly less than a pair of rubber waders will hold if full, but added weight none the less. Snug fitting neoprene waders would prevent a lot of the absorption by the underlying clothing unless submerged for more than a few minutes.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Wading belts, not just for rivers. If you fall through the ice a belt keeps air in your waders for buoyancy. Should be worn any time you are on the water in waders.
[signature]
I have worn waders multiple times ice fishing and have a few things you should keep in mind...
Yes, good insulated neoprene waders do a very good job of keeping you warm and dry!
But, good waders are expensive and you have to be extra careful not to melt them on a heater or slice them on an auger, etc.
Also, most boots don't have the best traction on the ice, I suggest strap-on ice cleats! And never wear felt bottom boots on the ice, the felt gets wet and freezes, then its like wearing extremely dull ice skates!
If you are worried about filling your waders, you probably shouldn't be on that ice anyways, that being said, I have filled mine falling through ice while duck hunting, lol, but I was able to scoot my way to shore. If this happens, do not take them off or you will freeze! Lay down on your back (on shore) and raise your feet up in the air which will drain the frigid water but retain your body heat inside the neoprene!
[signature]
I just recently bought a set of the Artic Armor bibs and Jacket. They are worth their weight in gold. I was out at PV last weekend in -20 and wasn't the least bit cold. since they are wind proof and insulated. I also like the fact that if I do bust through the ice they do not hold water and they float. They also have the padded knees and butt which are really nice.

Before I got these I used to layer up with my insulated Carhartt bibs and coat. They kept me warm enough but they didn't keep me dry at all. I would definitely spend the money on a nice set of bibs atleast.

You can find the Artic Armor bibs and jacket [url "https://www.idigear.com/"]here.[/url]
[signature]
I wouldn't use waders for ice fishing, but if it's all you got to stay dry then you should. Just make sure to layer.
[signature]
Thanks guys for all the good info. After lunch, I got out my Columbia ski pants and they fit great! I lost 10lbs this holiday season so I think I'll wear the ski pants and Sorrel boots(thought I got rid of those but didn't). That should keep me comfortable and dry. Panguitch ice is safe so I'm not worried about falling through in Jan. In March it may get kind of unsafe but I have winter holes near St George.
[signature]