Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
I've got a double date and we're gonna head out to strawberry for the first time. I've done some research and I'm going to fish it somewhat similar to how I fish Bear Lake. What areas might be my best bet if I don't have a four wheeler or snowmobile? I'm not asking for a honey hole, just a general area. Also I've heard fish shallow early, fish deeper later in the morning. Are we talking 15-20 shallow and 40-50 deep? Just used to fishing bear lake where I'm in anywhere from 50-80 feet of water. That's usually where the cutthroats are, sometimes closer....Any advice would be appreciated. If you pm me I'd be more than willing to trade some advice for bear lake or hyrum reservoir ha. Just don't want to get skunked on a date ha.
[signature]
Taking a date ice fishing. Now that's brave.
[signature]
Someones gotta keep me warm Wink I think I've only taken one date ice fishing before. Plenty fly fishing. I mostly practice catch and release...so don't feel too bad if I put them back haha
[signature]
I would start off by trying to stay away from the crowds.. i think youve done your research ! Ive caught them even as shallow as 10 feet and i have caught them in 40 FOW suspended off the bottom or suspended 20 feet up from the bottom. i think the ladders have been hounded the past weekend or two since its iced up fish might be getting finicky at least thats what ive seen in the past a lake gets hounded and fish get weird about what they want.. as far as where to fish depends on how far you want to walk lol. my brother fished the ladders with a couple friends on sunday and they got a few nibbles but skunked all in all. they fished from 18-30 FOW. typically i go with 2 -2.5 inch tube jigs white or glow tipped with some minnow, chub meat, or wax worm. google rainbow forage minnow. that is one of my favorite jigs for trout. the marina usually has tons of people. its hard to say where to fish i've had success at the ladders before and almost been skunked the next week same spot!. your options are pretty much the marina and wherever you can walk to from there or chicken creek east or west or the ladders. i dont know if you can get a vehicle all the way down to mud creek or not i dont know if they plow all the way down to the ramp on mud creek maybe someone else can chime in on mud creek and if you can get a vehicle down there. ive had some decent fishing in mud creek in the past though. best of luck to ya love to hear how it goes. when are you going up?
[signature]
Thanks for the info! Your advice is very similar to what I've found so I like that. I don't know the lake well at all so I just don't want to go somewhere where the ice might not be thick enough, etc. So if I venture out past 40 feet, probably a bad idea then? How about 4 inch tube jigs? We're gonna head out Saturday morning as early as we can wane up these girls! I'd prefer to not walk aways because this is their first time and I'll basically be guiding them. Probably the most I'd want to walk from the car is a half mile each way. I only have front wheel drive, so my options are probably the marina and still the ladders? Does the wind blow hard over there?
[signature]
Oooo just the idea of this makes me think of this video.[Tongue]

http://youtu.be/NgFhJN4H0T0
[signature]
I would probably do something similar hah. Hilarious! I have a friend that took Bobby knight out fishing once. Said it was hell! I think of it this way, at least the activity will be good Wink
[signature]
I think the ice should be pleanty thick enough by now but if youre unsure you can always drill a hole and see how thick it is. i wasn't saying dont go out past 40 FOW i just haven't personally fished much deeper than that at the berry so i couldn't say i caught fish that deep. i'm sure someone has fished much deeper and caught fish but i haven't so i didn't suggest what i haven't done i only suggested where ive been successful and what not. the road to the marina is usually snow packed and they plow it. someone who has been there recently could chime in on the road conditions however isn't it supposed to snow this week ? if you dont want to venture to the marina if the road is snow packed in a car. the hwy 40 is always plowed and maintained by UDOT so you could go to the ladders or chicken creek east or west. and 4 in tube jigs never fished some thing that big. i'm sure if you try them that will be a big fish that tries to eat that! grandpa always said you wanna catch big fish use big bait right? at least my grandpa did lol . if you get on google maps and look at the marina where the main boat ramp is there is a point west of the marina by the camp grounds it is half to 3/4 of a mile one way from what i could eye ball on google maps. that might not be a bad spot to try. i'm sure you know as well as i do fishing off points are always my go to spots when fishing. has anyone fished by those camp grounds before and had success??? i've always wanted to go over there just didn't have the ambition to walk that far lol..
my experience bringing girls ice fishing it can be a bad day real fast if theyre cold or wet. do you have tent to fish in? and a little portable heater. cheapest i've seen an ice hut is $200 new and maybe $100-$150 off someone on ksl if youre lucky.
[signature]
Good points there and thanks for the info! I don't have an ice tent or propane heater so this could get interesting... They better be dressing super warm, I know what you mean ha. I'm thinking I'll probably check the marina to see how many people are there first then see ha. I'm sure we'll leave if it gets super cold. I'm a hard one to drag off the ice though. I usually do fish points like you said for the rocky areas. We'll probably move around a bit and I'll check out that point you looked up on Google earth. Are you going out on Saturday?
[signature]
i haven't decided yet if i'm going fishing this weekend i should its my last weekend before school starts. but i just took the motor out of my snowmobile today and probably wont have it back together before the weekend. look what i just found on ksl guy is renting an auger fishing tent (4-5 man) and a heater and two poles for $40 a day hes in logan but That would be worth it to me to have a place for the girls to hide if its windy or cold! that is really a deal in my opinion ! another tip feet are always the first thing to get cold. Maybe bring something to get their feet off the ice makes a difference. ive taken thick rubber floor mats before to stand on to keep my feet off the ice before i had nice insulated boots made a world of difference for me.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=37577840&...t&ad_cid=6
[signature]
I dont want to hijack your thread but i have a question that pertains to what your asking. At strawberry... what kind of structure do you like to fish? Off points? In small bays? Rocky shorline? Or drop offs? I have neen fishing strawberry a number of years but all off foot. This year i bought a cheap snowmobile with the intent of using it for ice fishing. So now there is so much more shoreline, im curious as to what type of structure would be ideal to fish, if at all. TIA
[signature]
I fish with my wife at Strawberry often and we have a great time. She enjoys the outing. After the fishing, we always stop in Heber City for a late lunch at Dickies. The trick is don't stay too long. If you fish the right places, 4 hrs is generally plenty of time to catch your limit a couple of times over (if you release them). I have a snow mobile, a tent and a heater. We leave the crowds behind and generally end up pretty well alone. I enjoy fishing with my friends, but find my wife is by far the best partner.
[signature]
Thanks for the info and idea on the ice tent, oh and the link to the guy in Logan. I would like to invest in one of those as well as a flasher/fish finder in the future! Hopefully we'll be fine this time around on chairs in the open cold ha. Bring some hot chocolate or something. I will probably move around a bit to find out where they're biting and just keep switching lures/jigs. As for the guy that just asked about rocky points, etc, I personally don't have much experience fishing strawberry, however, I would say that rainbows typically cruise shorelines for whatever food there may be, typically rocky points are good because they provide coverage for spawns. So usually rocky areas are good when the spawn is on. They also provide refuge from predators. Anything out of the ordinary is what I look for, however, some lakes don't have a lot of diversity.
[signature]