Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Record Bass DENIED!
[size 1]IGFA Denies Record For Huge California Largemouth

[/size] [size 1]DANIA BEACH, FL--After months of painstaking deliberation, officials of the International Game Fish Association recently denied the world-record application made by Leaha Trew of Santa Rosa, California, for a 22-pound, 8-ounce largemouth she caught and released Aug. 24, 2003.

[/size] [size 1]The action may be the final chapter in a long, drawn-out process that had the fishing world pressing to know whether the 71-year-old world record, a 22 1/4-pound bass caught by George Perry on Montgomery Lake, Georgia, would finally fall.

[/size] [size 1][Image: image.asp?id=4321]

[/size] [size 1]Trew caught the big bass while fishing with her son, NAFC member Javad Trew, on Spring Lake, a 72-acre flood-control lake within Spring Lake Regional Park in Sanoma County. The water is noted for producing trophy-class largemouths, including a number of line-class records caught by Javad, as well as the 24-pounder Club member Paul Duclos caught (and weighed on a bathroom scale) in 1997.

[/size] [size 1]"With a record of this magnitude, you have to be absolutely certain," said Michael Leech, IGFA President. "There was nothing wrong with what, Leaha Trew and her son provided in the application, there just wasn't enough-no fish, just one photo, and no unbiased witness. It's just not enough to replace such an important record."

[/size] [size 1]Trew also applied for record status to the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, which also denied the big bass as a new world record.

[/size] [size 1]"It met all the requirements for a record, but not for an All-Tackle record. "said Executive Director Ted Dzialo, "We granted it a 12-pound line-class record."

[/size] [size 1]Because the bass was released and could not be checked for foreign objects and other discrepancies, the NFWFHF could not grant an official world record. It did, however, recognize Trew's bass as an "Unofficial World Record.

[/size] [size 1]"The rules say a potential world record must be examined; unfortunately that means killing the fish."

[/size] [size 1]The Catch

[/size] [size 1]Trew and her son had been fishing about two hours that Sunday afternoon, and were casting plastic worms from their inflatable boat along the lip of a 20-foot hole on the lake's north end.

[/size] [size 1]Tiring of worm fishing, she tied on a Storm Suspending WildEye Swim Shad, a 7-inch saltwater swimbait she says she bought because, "it just looked like it would catch bass."

[/size] [size 1]The rest of her rig included an 8 1/2-foot Shakespeare Intrepid rod, Shimano Stradic 4000 baitcaster and 12-pound Stren Magnaflex mono.

[/size] [size 1]The fish hit on a steady swimming retrieve, and fought for 10 minutes before coming to the boat. "I thought I'd snagged weeds at first," she says, "then the line started moving toward open water."

[/size] [size 1]Questions Answered

[/size] [size 1]On shore the pair measured and weighed the bass on an IGFA-certified BogaGrip hand-held scale. "It was 29 inches long, with a 25-inch girth, and pulled the scale to just over 22 pounds, 8 ounces," says Javad, who's entered numbers of trophy-class largemouths in the NAFC Catch & Release Contest.

[/size] [size 1]The BogaGrip measures in eight-ounce increments, so the NFWFHA recognized the lesser weight for its line class record."

[/size] [size 1]They photographed the fish one time because, according to Javad, "there was only one exposure left on the disposable camera. I debated going to buy another one, but it was a five-mile drive and we were going to release the fish anyway."

[/size] [size 1]That's a sore point among the Internet bulletin board and chatroom crowd who say releasing the fish is adequate reason for people to be skeptical about its reported weight.

[/size] [size 1]"We always catch-and-release," explains Javad. "Besides, I really didn't think you could keep fish. There are signs posted that say removing any animal, alive or dead, from the park is prohibited."

[/size] [size 1]Spring Park Ranger confirmed the signs' existence, but added that small print at the bottom excludes fish.

[/size] [size 1]"The lake is under general fishing regulations, a 12-inch minimum length limit and 5-fish daily bag limit."

[/size] [size 1]After submitting record applications, the Trews contacted tackle manufacturers about possible promotion partnerships, yet remained publicly silent, refusing all media requests for interviews.

[/size] [size 1]"The IGFA told us it would be best not to talk about it until we knew something for sure," says Trew.

[/size] [size 1]"There really was no reason to discuss it before a decision was made," adds Javad.

[/size] [size 1]Of the tackle companies, just one has shown interest so far. "You can say that Javad will be a member of our field staff," says Stren's David Justice-Kurt Beckstrom
[/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[size 1]That is most unfortunate but we are required to play with a full deck. It could be very easy to have imbedded a foreign object in the fish for heavier weight purposes.

The length and girth also don't quite meet the normal specs for a fish of such weight.

The Sad part is that they would have killed the fish anyway just to examine it. That kind of takes away the sportingness of us who like to C&R our LMB. [/size]

[size 1]They may just be waiting for me to turn in my World Record Bass 1st. lol[/size]
[signature]
Hmmm... this post looks familiar[Wink] lol
[signature]
I knew I saw it before. But it is posted by theangler. He is one of our highly respected and esteemed administrators of the message board. Heartbreaking news upsets him as well as the rest of us.

Just think about it buddy. We still have a chance at the record ourselves.
[signature]
its kinda nice to see the record go one more year,

Its Sad to think that the biggest cant be beaten.

if she indeed caught the biggest bast she should have kept it, the Sad part is that when they are that big they have reached their maximum age and will be dead in just a few months, dropping to the bottom of the lake.

any way I can see the judges not wanting to act on this one. the picture is small, but still I dont see any mussle strain from her holding up a 20 pound bass at full arms lenth. she should be showing the strain of holding a 20 pound baby, I mean no disrespect, but guys, you have all seen women lifting babys with short sleave shirts.

unless she is a basket ball player I would say that the bass is about 18-20 inches in lenth. with only the one picture I think the judges made the right call.

this year I ate the state record green sunfish for the state of michigan, with out the fish the state just wont take your word and a couple pictures even if they are up against a ruler.

so the moral of the story is ya have to keep the monster if you want the record, other wise let the fish go quietly.
[signature]
I couldnt have said it better Dave.
[signature]
Hey there guest, welcome to the BFT message boards. I too am a C&R bass fisherman and I also agree. If it is a possible record and needs to be examined, the fish will no longer see water.

They end up doing an autopsy on the fish anyways so the fish will die at all costs. It is unfortunate, but thats the way it goes.

Feel free to take the time to register. It is free and only takes a couple of minutes. You can also share in some of the contests and prizes to be given away that are available to members only.

Please click on the link to register. Just tell them that TubeN2 sent you.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_signup"][Image: newuser.gif][/url] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
[signature]
hmmm , i don't disagree with the decision , but i do disagree with the lack of strain from lifting the fish .

gals a built a bit different from us guys , thoes mussels that are bulging in her arms (two handed gri on that mouth )shows a pretty heavy load . [shocked]

gals don't have to lean back with a heavy load either , thats one of the procreation fearures built into them .[Wink]

and can any of us disagree with the adreanilin rush from landing a whopper fish ?

and i'[Smile]m sure that the pic and negitives were thourley checked , thus the unofficial worlds record title was given . i don't think that title is given out without some serious investigating .

i'm pretty sure it's a lagit pic of a big bass , only the next guy to catch it and keep it will be able to provide the proof of it's actual status as the real mc coy . [crazy]

any body up for a road trip ? [Smile]
[signature]
lol AL, I see you have been out of the market for some time now and are happily domesticated.....[sly]
[signature]
lol I should be that lucky to be happily domesticated..[sly]

but seriouly, the reason I said I have a hard time beleiving it is because we are talking about a fish that will be almost 30 inches long. (28 inches is more percise)

take a tape measure and measure your arm for lenth from elbo to fist, you will get what I am saying then.
[signature]
Hey lonehunter, I'll meet you over at "That" lake. I'll even have a cold one here waiting for you.

Do they still have Strohs beer over there?? I haven't seen them in ages.
[signature]
A MEASURING POINT WOULD BE THE WIDTH OF HER HAND ,TOP KNUCKLE TO BOTTOM KNUCKLE , BEST GUESS ON THE WIDTH 4" COMPAIRED TO A SET OF SUNGLASSES THAT MEASURE AROUND 6".[cool]

MY CURSOR ARROW IS ABOUT THE SAME SIZE AS THE WIDTH OF HER HAND IN THE PIC , END TO END I WENT DOWN THE FISH , IT'S CLOSE TO IT .

I'M GUESSING OF CORSE , YOU'DE NEED HER ACTUAL HAND MESURMENTS FOR A REAL GOOD GUESS .

BUT THATS A BIG FISHEY [Wink] .
[signature]
IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE BEEN DOWN THERE BUT I BELEAVE THERE STILL IN BUSINESS . I DON'T THINK THE OLD BREWERY IS THOU , YOU COULD SEE IT FROM THE FREEWAY ON THE TRIPS BACK AND FORTH .

STROTH'S MAKES A FANTASTIC LINE OF ICECREAM TOO !
[signature]
That must be some good ice cream. Back when my bro got out of the Navy, he would only drink Strohs. There used to be a brewery about 4 miles from my house. The smell was so good coming out of it that I would have to divert from a fishing trip for a few minutes to pick me up some.
[signature]
ya, they shipped the making of stroh's over to millwalkie wisconson. and yes the beer taist a little cheesy now. I dont like the new bottle rapper eather. it used to have a couple griffens in gold print.

I think the taist was lost because they dont make it out of detroit river water any more. there is someting to be said when you can get your beer and your fish form the same water... lol
[signature]
I puled out the calipers and measured my knuckles and got 3 inches, so again she would have to stand 6 foot or better to have hands with a 4 inch fist.

but for sake of argument, lets say her fist are 4 inches, with that info we can take the fish and get a close weight.

the fish would be 28 inches 7x4 = 28 in length

the hight would be 8 inches and the width would be about 4 inches giving a total girth of 22 inches this is on the heavy side,

any one remember the formula for figuring out a fishes weight ?
[signature]
The formula for figuring out a bass's weight is:
(Length X Length) X Girth then divide the answer by 1200.

ie: L 20 X L20 =400 X G 16

This gives an answer of 6400 to divide by 1200 which equals the weight of 5.333 pounds.

The article said the fish was 29 inches in length and 25 inches was the girth. That would equal out to 17.5 pounds.

Dave- yours would equal out to 14.4 pounds
[signature]
I knew there had to be some futzing going on with the scale. Last year I caught a 30" LMB that weighed 18.04lbs. It was fat and happy as well. It made me strain just to hold it up.

That LMB was my personal record so far.
[signature]
well ya can't argue with scientific knowledge or mathamatics on this one .[cool]

i even concidered "what if the fish was prego " nope , wrong time of the year .[shocked]

i surender under a white flag [Wink] .

i forgot one slight detail that stands out in the picture , she's blond . she probably had the scale upside down so she could read it better when looking down at it .[crazy]

do you remember your first stroths , i do . hot day , frostey 12 oz. bottle , poped the cap off , smelled the cork cap liner , mmmmmmm , thats good stuff , took a big swig , not bad !

and then hearing my dad say , "so you think your all grown up ?"

sneaking a beer at nine years old was not a bright thing to do , having your bicycle privliges taken away for the summer seemed like i was put on death row . lol !
[signature]
Hey tubeN2, how did you know that your bass was happy?[Tongue] lol[Smile]
[signature]