Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod & Reel size question
So my first fishing rod was an Ugly stick combo. The reel is not that great, so i decided to upgrade it. I bought a Pflueger President Limited edition size 40, and received it today.

My concern is that the reel size may be too large. The original reel looks to be about a size 30, with a spool diameter of 1.5 inches or so. The new reel is a size 40, and the spool size is about 2 inches. I have read that having a larger reel, and smaller first guide can cause casting problems (first guide is about 1"). Should I be concerned?

I was going to buy the size 30 reel, but the size 40 was 10$ cheaper, and would potentially allow me to target bigger fish.

Im debating whether to return the reel or not.

Thanks
[signature]
Keep the 40 and buy another rod that is a bit larger. Then order a size 30 for the rod you have. Best of both worlds.
[signature]
Only issue with that is I'm determined to buy an Ultralight rod and reel for my next combo. I love trout fishing the Uintahs, and the lighter setup makes it so much fun!
[signature]
Who says you can't buy the UL rig as well? You should see my garage. Enough rods and reels to outfit a large crew.[Wink]
[signature]
The reel may be a little big for ultra light fishing but you can always buy a cheap monofilament line for backing and then tie lighter pound test to that to fill up the spool. Down the road you will find a better use to the reel for a different rod that you come across that was a screamin' deal...like mentioned. I have too many rods also but I use almost all of them for different purposes.
[signature]
I'm sorry, you misunderstood my post. The size 40 rod is for my medium power uglystick. I will be buying a size 10 or 20 and an ultralight (leaning toward 10 but have to dig a bit more information).

I took the reel out yesterday just to try it for an hour or so, and from a casting standpoint I see no advantage or diSadvantage; It feels much better though, and the drag is awesome (stock reel drag would loosen as I fished). I am going to leave the new reel on my medium power ugly stick, and in the future buy a medium-heavy rod to put it on. For now it will work great for what I need to use it for. Im going in Friday to pick up a ultralight rod and reel... so excited!

Thanks guys
[signature]
Barret

The light weight combo that I use is a Fenwick rod with an Abu Garcia reel. The reel is spooled with high end 6lb test. I have attached pics of 2 fish that were both caught on this combo. I attribute being able to land them on the combo of patients, quality gear and being able to adjust drag without letting up tension. Bigger sometimes is better but its way more fun to be able to fight the fish. If you would like more info on the models of each PM me and I can get them to you. Hope this helps!

-Clem-

PS the tiger trout ended up bending the treble hook on the rapala I caught it with and I ended up with a bruise on my stomach from fighting the lake trout. The lake trout was also landed while in a canoe.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply.

I ended up returning the reel, and bought a ultralight rod and reel combo to focus on the trout up in the Uinta Mtns.

I bought a Fenwick river runner UL rod, and a Shimano Sahara FE size 10 reel. I am mostly going to be jigging, so I put some 8lb fireline with a 6ft 4lb flouro leader.

Im much happier with this setup/purchase and am so excited to get out there this year!

Tight Lines!
[signature]
Good choice!! I have fished all over Utah, Idaho and Wyoming and my setup has worked great so I think you would be happy with it!!
[signature]