Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Smallmouths This Summer
This summer will be the first in several years that I haven't taken classes during the summer semester. In addition, it will be the last summer before I enter the stress and long hours of law school. With all of this in mind, I have decided to declare the summer of 2004 to be my "Summer of the Smallmouth."

Problem....the only time that I have ever been able to catch smallmouth at Jordanelle was by accident while fishing for perch. But, this year I will have the time (and the annual pass to the state parks) to go after them. What I'm asking for here are some suggestions.

I got a fishfinder for Christmas that I will be using to locate the fish and my mode of travel will be my canoe (with elec trolling motor).

I think my biggest problem has been that I have been targeting smallies in teh same way that do largemouth. That is, tossing into shallow, visible structure. Do smallies suspend at deeper levels? The last issue of Field and Stream had an informative article on fishing Senko worms. That drop-shot method looked really interesting. If the fish in Jordanelle head a little deeper, then I think that would work great. Anyone ever tried it?

When are the best times of day and year to target them? From the posts that I remember, it seems like June was productive.

Is the Senko worm the only effective setup? What color of Senko should I look for? What are some other favorites that some of you have?

I know that I've asked quite a few questions, but it's been on my mind all day. I'm determined to catch a 5# bass this summer. I wonder if a guy tried the drop shot method through the ice, if a smallie would take it?

Any info is appreciated.

-Jack
[signature]
I spent quite a bit of time at Jordanelle last year only targeting smallmouths. The best time I found to fish for them was from June to Mid October. In June you'll want to look for fish in the shallows on the north bank(The north bank will have the warmest water). I use plastic baits for the most part. A chartruese senko in either 3 or 4 inch or a brown roboworm have done well for me in the past. I use EWG gamakasu hooks and usually rig them weedless and weightless. If you need to get deeper with the roboworm try putting a split shot on the head of the bait. The senko I won't put a sinker on because of how dense and heavy that bait already is. The time of day has never seemed to matter to much to me.

Later in the season I usually will fish the rockcliff part of the lake. Look for rocky banks that provide good hide outs for smallies. This is where I usually fish a drop shot rig cause of the depths of the water. Try a senko wacky rigged(fold the senko in half a put the hook directly through the middle of the bait) this rig can be very producive for smallies. The roboworm is also excellent for drop shotting. Don't always fish shallow water the fish hold very deep sometimes.

Just go out a lot and experiment with different stuff. I'm sure a lot of other baits work well, I just haven't figured out how to use them all. Last year I caught quite a few biguns with the biggest going 20 inches. It's all about putting in the time and experimenting to catch the big ones.
[signature]
i fish mostly from the bank caugt a lot of smallmouth at pineview mainly on rattle traps and spinnerbaits throwing a fan pattern maybe look for rocky area beach the canoe and walk the area throwing a fan
[signature]