Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to cook fish
Hey all. I don't know about you but i'm pretty pumped to go caught some fish this summer at mantua. My favorite place to fish. Everybody keeps telling me I need to try bluegill because they are so darn good. One problem I don't know how to cook at all. Give me some help.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge caught and relase fan, but I figuar one every now and then can't hurt.

Trent
[signature]
Check out Lundmans post on cooking fish. It is pretty basic & will apply to most fish. Don't get to picky when processing a small fish. Sacrifice a few small bones rather than hack up the filets. Bluegill are especially good left whole & salt crusted. Warm water fish sometimes seem to have less than firm flesh. Cleaning the fish immediately, and keeping ice cold, (not frozen) are your best tips here.
[signature]
Cooking fish is really easy and it cooks fast! Most people like to batter up their fillets and fry them up, I don't like the greasy taste of the fish that way and the fish retains its fishy flavor and smell.

I bake it.

I place my fillets in a casarole dish cover it with chopped onions and garlic. pour on some salsa and some lemon juice a little salt and pepper cover with foil place in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes and it all done.

Prep time 10 minutes

cooking time 30 imnutes

fish comes out tender, and tastey.

I even cut up zuchinni and place it on top of the fish the smother with salsa, onions and garlic. Makes a complete meal in a short time.
[signature]
This simple easy recipe works well for trout and I imagine well for other species too.

1. Put some saltine crackers in a plastic bag and crush to make crumbs.

2. Add some "Lemon Pepper Seasoning Salt" to the bag and shake it up. (Sorry I don't have any exact amounts, I don't measure. Just guess and add more of one or the other for the next fillet if you don't like the first)

3. Add a fillet and shake it up. (I skinned the fillets, but for smaller fish you might want to leave the skin on - but at least scrape off the scales)

4. Then deep fry for a few minutes or until a nice light brown. Or bake in the oven at around 350F for around 15 min.

Or another idea: In the fishing section of WalMart (at least the one up here in Logan) they have boxes of breading for fish. I'm sure these would have a recipe or two on them. You also might look for the breading boxes in the baking goods isle of any grocery store.
[signature]
I just remembered something about cooking fish: FRESH!!!!!!

Cook it the same afternoon if possible. The older it is the more "fishy" it tastes. Good luck!
[signature]
Ohhhh that sounds good moose.
[signature]
as one that loves craapie and bluegil to eat this is one way I do it. and is easy for non cookers.
just as soon as you can gut the fish and keep cool.if you aren't cooking them right then.(we keep them in the livewell until it's time to cook.) take the scales off but leave the skin on next put a lemon wegde and some real butter and just a little salt in the cut open part. wrap un foil and cook on a fire if you can. you need to keep turning then so they dont burn. you will know they are done when the skin pulls off the meat easy. take then out and pull skin off,pull meat off bones and put in bowl. now put some mayo in it some cut up celery, now you have something like tuna salad but better. we put it on bread and eat it the next day for lunch out fishing.
you can also not put the mayo in and put on a green salad or any casserole that takes tuna. if you cook up a lot bottle some so you can enjoy it later.
[signature]
That is a great start for many recipes. Once you have the fish cooked, put it into ziplock bags & freeze it. Pull it out next time you make fish cakes, salads, soups.
[signature]
I usually fillet my fish and fry them. For trout I just shake the fillets in a bag with flour and seasoned salt and fry them in butter until golden brown. Simple and delicious. For warm water fish I fillet them, dip them in a batter made of eggs, milk, flour, and seasoned salt, and then fry them in oil until crispy and golden brown. Very tasty indeed.

But here is the simplest method for trout. Clean your trout, do not fillet, and cut off the head. Put a pat of butter(about a tablespoon) and some seasoned salt inside the body cavity and then wrap it in foil. Put the wrapped fish in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Cook for about 1/2 hour. Remove and serve. If you are really lazy you can avoid any dirty dishes by eating it out of the foil. I practically lived on fish cooked this way one summer between quarters at college.

m
[signature]