Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo report
My boys and I went to Echo today arrived about 8 o'clock and fish till 1:30. Caught 10 Rainbows and 15 perch worth keeping as well as a lot of throw backs. The jig of choice for trout was a green paddle bug tipped with perch meat at 6'down in 41 FOW. Three rainbows were caught off the bottom while jigging for perch but we didn't mark anything suspended in the water. The perch was caught on a verity off of jigs tipped with spikes or perch meat. Two of the Rainbows 17" one was 15" the rest 12-13" . The ice was 6"+ and we out from the West end of the resort.
[signature]
Nice job! Does anyone know what those little bore worms are that cover these rainbows? Even after the fish are scaled, the holes continue on into the meat. I'm sure they are killed when cooking, but it still takes away from my appetite.
[signature]
If they are the same as the fish in East Canyon get, they are anchor worms. They are not actually a worm but they put their head into the muscle and the hair like end is often on the outside. Usually in the winter I mainly see the resultant scars left on the fish. Yes, they say if you cook it it is safe to eat; I usually just cut out a small hunk of meat where the scar is and feel a little better about it. If you knew all the parasites that you eat in meat, it would repulse you! I have seen perch so full of tape worm eggs in the meat and worms in their intestines, it would totally gross you out! I just make fertilizer out of those guys!
[signature]
I'm with you on the tape worms! Deep fry should kill about anything, including me if I keep eating deep fry! [Wink]
[signature]
in your book, how long are the perch that are "worth eating"? [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had fun.
[signature]
The perch we kept were in the the 5-6" range so the 15 we kept gave us about a 1 pound of fillet meat.
[signature]