Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper set up
I recently got an 8wt combo, it came with floating line but I'd like to set it up primarily for wiper and other bass. Should I go with a sink tip, and what leader/tippet should I rig it up with?
[signature]
I like to have a couple extra spools on had when I am looking at this. One with Sink Tip and the other with Floating. If you are looking to do top water then toss on your floating line. If you decide to target the fish lower in like 5 feet or lower, then toss on a sink tip line. Don't be afraid to put on a more hefty tippet (0X,1X,2X or 3X), but keep it shorter to ensure maximum control of your streamer, popper, etc...
[signature]
thanks for the info, i'm mainly going to be targeting willard to start out with, if i do a shorter leader or just tie on about 4' of straight 1x tippet would that work or do i need a proper leader?
[signature]
Nice! Yeah I would just tie straight tippet rather than buying special tampered leader. When you use bigger flies like streamers and stuff the fish are more distracted by focusing on that fly than your line. That said, presentation will be key, so just read up on some good retrieves and patterns. I use youtube a lot to be honest. Always some really good instructions on there.
[signature]
Right on, i'll have to see what I can find. I've been tying up some saltwater clousers in white and chartreuse, I'd like to get into more articulated streamers to imitate the gizzard shad up there though.
[signature]
I chased Wiper a few times last spring with my fly rod. They are a blast on a fly rod! I used a fast action 9ft 6 weight with clear Intermediate line. The Intermediate line works perfect in the shallower waters of Willard Bay. I don't mess with tapered leaders when fishing lakes and just use a 6-7 feet of straight fluorocarbon leader. Good luck!

Mark
[signature]
Clear intermediate line with straight fluro. I only use tapered leaders when dry fly fishing, other than that...always straight fluro. Wipers on the Fly are a blast! Good luck!
[signature]
I have two reels for my 8 wt. one with bass taper and the other with a sinking tip. I've caught northern a on the bass taper.
[signature]
I have had some success with a full sink type II fly line and 10# leader.
A White Wooly Bugger has worked for me.

This year I might try fishing with a floating line and longer leader when the Wiper are hitting shallower.
[signature]
Are you fishing from shore, boat, or float tube?
[signature]