Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Rod Tip Strike Indicators
I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the rod-tip mounted wire/spring strike indicators. I've missed a couple of fish where I get just one light tap on the rod. It seems like having the ultra-light tip might enable fish to get the bait deeper with a light bite.

I'm wondering specifically about helping with cutts/rainbows at a place like Strawberry. What do you think - do they help?
[signature]
I have the wire and the spring and prefer the wire. The spring will freeze up faster and that has caused me issues. I don't fish in a tent with a heater so I guess if you weren't expose to the weather it would keep the spring ice free. It does help when fishing two poles because you can see the small bites on a pole that might be 5-10 feet away.
[signature]
I've used them before and I personally can't stand them. I've watched a number of YouTube videos where people are using them and I can see the rod tip move at the same time as the spring bobber in almost every case. For me they limit my presentation options too much. As far as the one tap problem, I don't believe a spring bobber will help much if your rod is too heavy of an action unless you are ready to set the hook to begin with. I prefer a rod with a light tip and some backbone to begin with so the fish can inhale the lure/bait with little resistance but I can still set the hook.

I know there are many who will disagree but it really boils down to personal preference. Try one it might work wonders for your style of fishing.
[signature]
I have used one for years when the bite gets light. Usually about February one goes on the pole tip. I also use a very light setup, but when the bite is light, my light setup is not light enough. I like the wire type. Many times the sensor barely moves. I would say during late season ice fishing, having a good sonar and a tip sensor is the difference between catching fish and not getting a detectable bite.
[signature]
if you were fishing for crappie at pineview the other morning, you wouldn't have caught a fish without a strike indicator. You could have the most sensitive fishing rod they make and wouldn't be able to see the bite those crappie were doing without an indicator. People really don't know what they are missing, literally!! but ignorance is bliss.
[signature]
Our group started using them about 3 seasons ago and it has made a huge differnce in catch rate. Even though there are big fish in the berry they sometimes barely bite. With the indicator you can sense the slightest movement and get ready to set the hook the next time they pull down. Without one sometimes the only bite you see if the last one where they finally take it and you're too late.
[signature]
I have used the wire type for years and love them
[signature]
I haven't tried them all, but have tried many. Action Tackle titanium is all I use any longer. A bit light for larger trout jigs, but they do offer stainless in stiffer gauges. My four old detects the lightest nibbles with them, and the titanium is pretty durable.
[signature]
You have me curious enough that I think I'll buy a couple and try them out. This has been the first season I've really dedicated time and effort to learning ice fishing, and you've all been tremendously helpful!

Once again, thanks all!
[signature]
they might take some tweaking to get them how you want them depending on what type you buy. I know I usually have to use some electrical tape keep them in the right place once they are on.
[signature]
USED THEM FOR OVER 20YRS. I build my own with guitar strings and heat shrink tape. can build six for the cost of 1 and they are way better....
[signature]
I have the Action wire strike indicators and love them. I would not leave the house without them and if I did I would probably turn around to get them. Its crazy how many hits I see compared to my buddies I go with when they are using the same setup as me other than without the indicator. I usually catch at least twice as many with the indicator and see three times as many bites.

Bass pro shops has the same indicators but they are under their name. I have not tried the bass pro brand but I have been thinking of getting some and seeing if they are the same. One of the things I like best about the Action indicators is they don't twist around my rod and tangle my line like other wire indicators. If I were you I would get at least one and give it a try what do you have to lose. Trust me you will not regret it.
[signature]
I love indicators but hate how they get 'sloppy'.
Then one day I found the Scheels brand ice pole with removable indicator.
The heavens opened up and poured fish down upon me at that point.
Check them out and see if the same happens to you...
[signature]
I would never ice fish for any species without them.

I use the flat steel type with the guide on the end, or colored zip-ties. The zip ties come in more colors and sizes and are so cheap they are basically disposable. Knock out the zip catch in the tip and bend the tip over. Sometimes I go to the trouble to drill it out round. They ice up less, but if the air temp is cold they still will.

I always just tie both types on with a skinny rubberband. Cut the loop of the rubberband, wrap it on and tuck the tag end under the last wrap, pull it tight, cut it off.
[signature]
Shane I'll have to check them out, I've tried most of the others and I love the concept but had technical difficulties with most. I like the coil spring best except for two issues. 1 ice freeze up and 2. If you have splices in the line they sometimes hang up. I also had the wire type and like a lot about them, but I've found the extra slack they create while setting the hook was costing me fish at least with their light and medium versions. I like the heavier weight one. But all of them have the problem of loose lure tangles or the bobbers taking a set because you over tighten. So I look forward to checking those out that you recommend. I am sold on the value of the spring bobber they really help, they just have a few issues that hopefully your recommendation will help. Thanks J
[signature]
are they pretty decent rods? and are the strike indicators decent they come with?
[signature]
They will still ice up but worst case scenario you just remove the indicator from the built in holder.
The built in holder is permanently attached to the top of the last eyelet but is practically invisible.
[signature]
Very good pole in many sizes and weights.
Very good titanium wire indicator with small orange bead.
Only complaint is that rear piece of cork is a little short for resting on a bucket. It still works, just a little short in my opinion.
People who 'palm' their ice reel love them.
[signature]
so are the strike indicators specific to the rod? or can you use different brand and style strike indicators.
[signature]
The indicator just slides in to the tip 'barrel'.
A side benefit is that the tip and 'barrel' are both painted black, therefore gathering the sun's rays and aiding in keeping the tip free of as much ice as possible.
Tip: use black nail polish or other paint on silver tips of other poles to help gather the sun.
[signature]