Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i pilot help
I'm hoping there is an expert out there that can answer some questions about the i pilot. Even after doing some research I am still Confused. I also have some questions about preference. Any help would be appreciated. PM would probably be best. Thanks
[signature]
PM sent ...
[signature]
why the pm? I could use the help, and probably others too. It's confusing to me even after reading and watching youtube..

humpy
[signature]
Answer about preference: absolutely prefer to have it! Even if just for anchor lock, i can't live without it now.
[signature]
I would never go back to a cable. Tournament Fishing is relaxing now.
[signature]
If you live near Riverton and want a quick demo I will be happy to let you control mine. It wont be in the water but my shop is comfortable and very well lit.
[signature]
When trolling I used to get pretty frustrated with the boat turning way off course while I try to untangle one of the kids reals or try on a new lure after they broke off. The course correction capabilities to keep it on a straight line has saved me a lot of frustration and made trolling with the kids much more enjoyable
[signature]
Sorry I didn't want to bore people but maybe like suggested it will answer questions for other people.
I purchased a humminbird compatible fish finder and now I'm looking at the I pilot motor. I see talk about the link, if I buy the I pilot motor and have the finder is there anything else that I need?
Do you just mount the transducer in the normal spot in the rear of the boat?
Do I need a separate battery and/or charger to operate the motor?
Spot lock function work as expected?
Those are a few of the many I have.
[signature]
If you want to change your life, do this:
Set your kicker rpm a tad under your desired speed and lock it in a forward position. Then set your iPilot cruise control speed and point it in the direction you desire.
Let out line, sit down, stand back up to fight fish, release or immediately kill fish, let out line, repeat process over and over while never touching motor.
You are now a new man!
[signature]
I pilot link is worth the extra cash vs i pilot for sure. The transducer is already in the motor so you wont need to mount the one that comes with the finder. Depending on the motor you get depends on how many batteries you need. The one i run is a 24 volt system so i use two 12 volt run in a series. I choose big group 31 batteries for longer use. Now i dont run my finder off these batteries. I run my finder off the boat start battery. Your definitely going to want a onboard charger. Makes charging way easier,specially if the trolling motor batteries are hard to access. Hope this answers some of your questions.
[signature]
How much run time do you get on the 31? I am running 27 and I am thinking about changing.
[signature]
I have never ran out. The longest i have been out is 6 hours thou but it wasnt windy and trolling around 1.75 mph. Im going to do what was suggested above this year. Going to buy a cheap kicker and use that as majority of the propulsion and that way my minn kota is using alot less and only for steering and anchor lock
[signature]
How big is your boat?
https://www.youtube.com/user/imonbass?feature=mhee
go down to Minn Kota Terrova & iPilot Link

you need to buy the ipilot Link to work with your humminbird
The batteries for the Minn Kota can only be used for the trolling motor
the 36 volt the battery's will last longer

the battery's need to be 29 are higher. walmart cost about $100 for the 29
you may need to buy new battery's every year.
if you use a kicker motor with the minn kota the battery's will last longer when trolling
if not the battery's will only last about 4 hr depending on you boat.

to charge them you need to charge them at home are where you have a AC plug
[signature]
I like to troll with just the tolling motor because it is nice and peaceful. Just sit back and not have to constantly steer. The downside is that it only lasts for around 4 hours depending on the wind. Then I use the kicker. love the spot lock. i dont get the anchor ropes all wet any more.
[signature]
My old boat came with a 24 volt terrova 80 I pilot no link not a hummingbird finder and as mentioned it is life changing! Spot lock works fantastic and is a must if you want to jig for macks. and trolling with or without a kicker going is about the best thing ever. It was 16 foot smoker craft with 27 batteries. I never ran them dead. I did loose a seal on the motor that caused problems eventually and I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to go fishing if I didn't have my terrova! I got it fixed asap! Finding someone to work on it is pretty tricky and I ended up buying the parts and fixing it myself. My new boat came with a terrova 80 I pilot link and a big fancy hummingbird. It works great also in all the same ways. I have not used the link function yet in 20 plus days fishing. It might be great but I wouldn't know. I do miss the remote from the old one it was about 1/4 the size and had a rabbit function which toggled the motor to full speed and back to where it was in one push. That was kind of handy. Link one doesn't do that. Anyway you will want the onboard charger and at least the 80 and you can say goodbye to stress when controlling your boat.
[signature]