Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Peeve
I havr been active on BFT for about a year. I love the site as it gives people an opportunity to talk to others about something we all love. Having said that i do find it hilarious when people post (brag) about their success....yet provide little to others about how/where/ as to the details of what lead to the success of catching fish.

One comment to those people..if others don't succeed in catching fish they stop fishing...if they stop fishing they don't purchase licenses...if they don't purchase licenses it doesn't fund stocking and conservation efforts around fisheries. "Tent City" = the engine that drives funding of our passion is alive and well...more people fishing is better....I know we all like "secret" spots....but let's be real. Secret will lead to the death of what we love.

Again not trying to be a downer here..99% of people on this site get it. Just my hope this isn't just another "bragging board". I can go to sportsman's warehouse and see that...

Thanks to all of those that "give" for the better of all who frequent the site.
[signature]
Well, I get where you are coming from. However the main board on this site is open to anyone and everyone. You don't even have to be a member to view the reports board. Literally thousands of people look at the main board. I am all for helping people out, but the people I am willing to help are the ones who are willing to put in a little bit more effort, i.e. become a member, be active on the board, post reports of their own, send other members private messages. Basically I am willing to help anyone who is willing to give back and help me as well in return. I have posted a few of what you call "bragging posts" and have received plenty of PMs about them and have helped a bunch of guys who were willing to take the time to communicate. I work hard to go fish, I work hard to find fish, I hike miles man. So complain all you want, but I am not going to give up the goods to those who just want to come to this site, get info and not give back. That is all. Good luck out there.
[signature]
+1
You are right on the money with your comments, IMO. There is such a thing as PMs to members or just asking in a reply to a post, if one wants info about what was used to catch fish, Giving info about tackle to help others catch fish is one thing but giving out a location is totally different, especially considering the number of people the view this site on a daily bases. What I seem to find more and more are people that just want to take and take but never give back. When members can't even respond to a post they read after getting good info that is is what I call a problem and very disappointing but I guess thats just my Pet Peeve[Wink].
[signature]
I'm sure the top secret info is in the premium member forum right curt...so folks should just post and get access and go there and find info if the general open section doesn't provide the goodies...I'm highly doubtful the secret section provides any other info then this one...as folks I know who have access have told me you aren't getting any info you don't see on the open forum. But again I don't have access nor do I want access nothing is ever secret on any fishing forum not matter where its posted.

We fish a lot and I have provided lots of info to others in private messages however I do believe folks need to put in the time and learn for themselves also...because even if folks posted more info in their posts doesn't mean you'll catch fish...only way to catch fish is to put time on the water or ice and go from there.
[signature]
My pet peeve is when my neighbor's dog barks at me while I am in my lawn....drives me crazy
With that being said, I would never post a location I fish on a public forum.....NEVER!
I'll share technique and if someone sends me a PM I might point them in the right direction.
[signature]
[#0000FF]We have had this discussion many times on BFT since I became a member in 2002...and almost 30,000 posts ago. I would like to think most of my posts have been structured to provide helpful info. I usually try to cover basic info like times, water temps, depths, best baits and lures, etc. But that is only when I am posting on waters that are well known and can handle additional angling pressure.

I have made a lot of trips to lesser known spots that would be damaged by uncontrolled increased angler traffic...and I usually do not post about them. If I do, it is only generalized and does not provide all the specifics some folks might like. If someone PMs for info I may or may not supply more information. Like everybody else...I know when to say no...even if it might offend someone. It is my right to give or withhold information as I see fit.

I agree about the brag posts. There are some members who only post to brag about big fish, big catches or post pictures showing off their catches. No problem. That's fishermen for ya. But you don't have to get your fishing rags all knotted up over it. Be jealous if you want but don't slam the poster. You can do the same if you score big.

Over all, this board has evolved into a group of folks that include some experienced and knowledgeable anglers who are willing to share. And they are a big part of why BFT remains one of the most active angling boards on the Internet. And the fact that the board is moderated to keep out the flamers and shamers is what usually leads to lurkers finally deciding to jump in and play.

In the final analysis, we are here for those who like what we have to offer...and hopefully can contribute something back themselves. But with the exception of the "Premium" board there are few rules for posting...beyond basic courtesy and refraining from profanity, personal attacks or being politically incorrect.

There is no pressure or requirements to participate. But it is better for all if you can and do contribute worthwhile info from time to time. Enjoy and use that which others provide but don't throw rocks at someone who can't or won't give out as much as you might want to know. Send a polite request in the form of a PM if you want more info, but don't get all huffy about it if you don't get it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It's all good fellas, and it is no coincidence that all responders to my post are ones that share info...go figure!

I guess I was just having a "moment" where I was questioning those that always "take" but are never interested in "giving".

Whoever the guy was that gave someonean ice auger in this forum last week is my hero!

As a father of 6 kids it is wierd how it is now more satisfying to see others catch fish than to catch fish yourself....life is strange that way.

However I will NEVER tell you EXACTLY where I nail crappie on Pineview!

Again, all good fellas, best of luck ripping lips!
[signature]
At one time, I had the same complaint as you, Giants. So I decided to post a very precise description of where I limited out. It was as precise as "100 yards northeast of the buoy" and I believed I was merely being helpful. Until I went back there the next day and found a dozen boats crowded in gunwale-to-gunwale on that spot.

And that was the last time I was quite that helpful. Because we aren't the only folks who read reports here. There are hundreds of what TubeDude calls "happy harvesters" who would fill their freezers with fish - illegally or not - just from what they glean here.

That's why the board has very reasonable rules about "hot spotting" - to protect the fishery from nogooders. Stick around a while and you'll come to agree with that.
[signature]
Yo Rocky (with the Philly boxing accent of course!)

When are you and I going to hook up and do some fishing? We have history my friend...let's make a date and make that happen...hope all is well!
[signature]
Those 345 views of your original post on this thread contain at least a couple dozen guys with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, 6 almost empty bottles of Powerbait, 50 yards of cheap Zebco monofilament and a dozen bags of Corn Nuts. They're all just itching to drive over to my favorite spot at the exact time that I like to fish that spot and fish all day while slowly spreading that crap around them in a 10 yard radius.

Also, the posts on the general page make it to the DWR's hotspot page with alarming regularity. The guy for the southeastern region is particularly shameless about it.
[signature]
+1 Rocky. I've had the same thing happen. If you want more info from my posts PM's work.
[signature]
I know I'm a lot more tight lipped than I used to be, due to company that reports tend to create, but I've got to tell you I like the atmosphere of BFT... I've watched a few facebook fishing sites and talk about braggers and nonwilling to share anything... Didn't take me long to get my fill of those posting there... I'll stick with BFT and how we all try to help each other when we can... Funny thing is how bad the other sites bashed BFT.... That was fine with me, I didn't want that attitude of folks on the site anyway... Guess I'm just simple, but I like this site... Later J
[signature]
Let those who hate us hate. They don't comer here because they would get moderated pretty quickly. I try to help where and when I can but specifics come as needed depending upon the water.
[signature]
while i agree with mostly everything stated in this post, still irks me when people are just on to brag...
i feel like someone just showed me the most amazing banana split in the world, delicious above all else and didnt tell me the town/city to look for it. I would never as the GPS location for anyones success, but if you go and find success and had a whale of a time, in my opinion it doesnt hurt to state the body of water.
Just my opinion... I love catching Kokanee and would gladly help another member get on some of them buggers.
[signature]
Since we're discussing pet peeves, here's mine. I posted this on 19th of January hoping some of the folks smarter than me (not hard to do) would provide a newbee a little basic information. Three days later and only two responses. Needless to say I was disappointed.

I've been busy with other stuff besides fishing for the past ten years. About to retire (everyday will be Saturday) so I've started ice fishing this winter. Any help you can provide on how the weather effects fishing would be most appreciated. When's the best time to fish? Day before a storm? During the storm? Day following the storm? Falling barometer? Raising barometer? Red sky in the morning? Red sky at night? Again, observations and opinions are certainly appreciated.

Larry (old guy who's really a newbee)
[signature]
Some times there may not be a good answer so you may not get a response. Lot of things change from day to day where fish and weather are concerned. So rather than lead you astray you may not get an answer from some folks that are unsure or you may get some wildly wrong opinions as well, it's up to you to judge the difference and then try to prove them right or wrong. .

Also the board is extremely active right now so your posts can get snowed over fast if you don't get a quick reply. It's not that you're not one of the in crowd so you don't get replied to because you are new. It's more a matter of timing and who sees your post. I've had several posts lately that don't get a reply at all, where other time you might get 7000 views. Have patience and bump your posts back to the top if the answer is important to you. Maybe someone new that can help will see it next time. I know there are so many posts lately I'm just looking at my interest areas where other times of the year I'll look at all posts. Anyway good luck with your time off and renewed fishing adventure. Later J
[signature]
[quote skidmarximus88]while i agree with mostly everything stated in this post, still irks me when people are just on to brag...
i feel like someone just showed me the most amazing banana split in the world, delicious above all else and didnt tell me the town/city to look for it. I would never as the GPS location for anyones success, but if you go and find success and had a whale of a time, in my opinion it doesnt hurt to state the body of water.
Just my opinion... I love catching Kokanee and would gladly help another member get on some of them buggers.[/quote]

First of all, what Tubedude said, that is pretty legit. That being said...I get it. Your anti-bragging disposition makes sense. When someone puts a post up with a great report of success, a pic but no location info it comes off as an "I did better than you,...look a pic" type of thing. It would rub me the wrong way too, if I didn't know any better. What you don't get is the impact that a site of this magnitude can have. Smaller lakes can get hammered and populations can be affected significantly as a result. I want to help people, but don't want to adversely affect the quality of fishing that we have here in Utah. Truly what You don't get is the inherent irresistible instinct to fish that guys like me have. It is literally my livelihood during the summer months when I am up in Alaska. Finding fish in new areas, doing the math on depths vs. fish migration given the time of year. Dealing with spawning phases. Thinking about weather and during what barometric patterns are the fish actively feeding, and what do they want to eat during those times. Figuring out what type of weather causes salmon to move up river. What triggers a "RUN" of salmon. Figuring out what the moon phase has to do with it. Dealing with weather as a safety issue; can we fly, are we VFR, what is the fog/wind like 100 miles away. How big are the waves, what direction the wind is blowing vs. what direction the river is flowing. What will the weather be like back at camp when we are done fishing, again wind and waves. Also, BEARS... nuff said. you get it, etc..... I could go on and on....

I just want you to realize the amount of dedication that some members here on BFT have... and why we want to talk to guys that really need the help, or really care. A "Bragging post" is really just another form of fishing. I put a post up and guys that just want to read and scan for info say... ugghh! where and when?.... I wait for a "bite" and get a PM. Pretty simple, I help the guys that are willing to take the time to get the info. I make a new friend, I see them on the lake some day and have an AAAHHA, you're that guy" moment. That is what makes this site great. That is what makes this site real.
[signature]
Thanks for letting me know what I know and don't know, get and don't get. Fishing is my passion, I love it. I enjoy outings with my family and when I can help others find success I hope to be of service. I understand there are trollers on this site, I work with a few. Not sure how to react to your post, for the most part I felt like you are attacking my character, things I don't get. Sorry if I offended you or any others. May the fishing gods Smile upon you and yours!
[signature]
[quote captainjac15]I work hard to go fish, I work hard to find fish, I hike miles man. So complain all you want, but I am not going to give up the goods to those who just want to come to this site, get info and not give back.[/quote]

POW, RIGHT IN THE KISSA!

So if people are going to cry and get their panties in a bunch about how they were not told where to go, what to use, what time to be there, etc... let them cry. Go do the work yourself and find success on your own.
So someone brags that they did well with so and so fish species and you want to know more. Well you could start by asking them in a PM, dont get the answer you want? Well first, dont cry, I would actually look at something called google. Its this magical device that can answer almost any question you ask it:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+can+i+catch+more+fish+in+utah

The fact that some people still can not grasp the concept that there are a-holes in this world, albeit very successful a-holes (when it comes to fishing), that wont share their info with you is astounding. They put in all the hard work to make them achieve what they want, why can't you do the same yourself?
[signature]