Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting fishy smell out of my gloves?
Hey guys—

After a good day at Strawberry a couple of weeks ago, I came home with my nice, new gloves that my wife got me for Christmas smelling like old trout. They aren't machine washable or dry-cleanable according to the tag, so I tried to hand-wash them with shampoo. I was as thorough as possible and let them air dry. They smell a little better, but still pretty fishy.

Is there some trick to getting that smell out? I'd love to hear anything worth trying.
[signature]
Can you put them in the drier on cool air with a drier sheet? May work.
[signature]
Add one part vinegar with three parts water. Soak gloves for five minutes and rinse well.
[signature]
Do you use them for fishing or sewing?

Personally I like smelling like trout. If I have slime slathered all over my jacket and the front of my pants, then I'm going home smiling.

Joking aside though, if they are primarily used for fishing I would just leave them. Slime alone doesn't rot or start stinking really bad like fish flesh.
[signature]
This works everytime:
Take your gloves off before handling trout.

Especially if you are going to release them. Gloves remove the protective film on their skin that fights off infections.
[signature]
soak in water and lemon 1 hr or so. done did same to an expensive pair of now mobile gloves. but the fish were burbot. yuk!!!!
[signature]
Take coffee grounds and a little water rub them together and it cuts a lot of the fish smell. Works great on your hands too.
[signature]
You might also try spraying them with a scent away product. They work pretty good on humans, not worth a darn on animals. Also laying them in the sun for a day does wonders to kill bacteria.
[signature]
All kinds of home remedies! Here's mine. When I would get tarpon slime on my clothes regularly, the only way to get it off, and the associated odors, was to wash them in a regular washing machine and pour in a can of Coca Cola. An old Keys guide told me this, and though I really didn't believe it, I'm a fisherman and will try anything. It worked, for many years!

I know your said you can't machine wash your gloves, but maybe gently soaking/rubbing in a little Coke/water brine?
[signature]
[quote harlin]Do you use them for fishing or sewing?

Personally I like smelling like trout. If I have slime slathered all over my jacket and the front of my pants, then I'm going home smiling.

Joking aside though, if they are primarily used for fishing I would just leave them. Slime alone doesn't rot or start stinking really bad like fish flesh.[/quote]

My favorite response for sure.
[signature]
Big Grin Not so much sewing, but for every time I take them ice fishing, I probably take them out doing landscape photography about 10 times. More power to you if you like the smell. I'm not a fan Smile

Thanks for all the replies all! I'll give some of these a shot and see what works.
[signature]
Don't be a girl.... JK [Wink]
[signature]
One thing I wash my hands with to remove the fishy smell is tooth paste - maybe put some on a bigger brush and scrub away - get that nice minty fresh smell Smile
[signature]
I keep a pair of cotton cloth gloves just for that reason, holding the fish taking the hooks out. If there's anything that will cut into your fishing just try eating Doritos or something similar and getting that smell on your hands and transferring it to baited hook. There's some good videos on YouTube that show what food smells and such due to baited hooks and how fish react to them. The one thing I used to get rid of sunscreen on my hands after applying it at home is to use head and shoulders or any hair shampoo to get rid of the oils ,wash your hands good with head sholders, then clean off with water. head and shoulders will pretty will take away any smell. Watch what you eat before handling a lower orbit and you'll catch more fish
[signature]
Try washing them with head and shoulders letting them dry
[signature]
One more just for the heck of it. Get them just a little damp and then sprinkle a good coating of baking soda on them. Let it sit for a few hours and then rinse off.
[signature]

Get yourself a pair of dedicated fishing gloves. These are a bit on the pricey side, but from what I hear they're worth every penny.

http://kastgear.com/gloves/steelhead-glove.html
[signature]
Pour some of this on them - you won't notice the fish scent at all any more:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tinks-Sku...114&rid=20
[signature]