Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic (60-70+++) day at Strawberry
Fished yesterday (Saturday Jan 23) from sun-up until 2pm.
I typically drill 4 holes....one each for 2 rods and then holes next to them for the transducer....so I don't tangle with a fish on.
I drilled one hole all day. The fishing was so hot that I didn't have the time to use a second rod.
I have no idea how many fish I caught....lost count around 40.
I do know that I caught at least 25 fish in the first 45 min I was there. Pretty much every drop.
I figure if I averaged 25 per hour...and I was there 6ish hours.....well I am not going to make any outrageous assumptions but that is a lot of fish.
I also know that I arrived on the ice with 200 maggots. After I ran out I was catching them on a white tube jig with no bait.
They pretty much took anything I offered...did not matter the size, shape, or color.

99% of the fish were 19-20 inches. A few smaller.
Some were really fat. One snapped one of my ice rods.

There was one group maybe 300 yards away from me and another the same distance in the opposite direction. Other than that it was pretty lonely.
However - as someone mentioned yesterday - the marina area was packed and there were lots of people.

I spoke to several people in the parking lot (trying to help me get my truck started at the end of the day, thanks by the way!) and they were all reporting 1-4 fish caught.
I had a friend fishing the ladders area as well....6 fish between the two of them.

I was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.
The Sad part is that I was fishing alone and trying to convince people of this incredible day has been a bit difficult.

However - I'll attach a link to video that I think will convince you that pulling fish out again and again over a short period of time is totally realistic.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecj389kfcdwv4...Oreia?dl=0

That will take you to the videos.
I've never videoed myself fishing before....I sound a bit stupid.

If that link doesnt work I will work on getting all the video uploaded ans spliced together and will post that.

UPDATE - The files are big and taking a while to upload. I'll take them to work tomorrow and have our editor put them all in a quick clip that is small enough to upload and will re-post to this.
Stay tuned (you will see fish 3 inch below the ice attacking my transducer).......

FILE ATTACHED!!! Hope you all can see it. If not I have put this video in the link listed above. Its smaller and fully uploaded now. you should be able to view.
Thanks
RG
[signature]
Congrats on the great day. I only see 1 pic of a nice cutt in the link.
[signature]
The files are huge and are taking a while to load up. Still in the loading process.
[signature]
[cool]
[signature]
Congrats on a great day on the ice Rob. I have had a few days like that on the ice at Strawberry and many more from my boat. Really strange how one can have a day like that and then go back the next time and struggle to catch a few fish. Too bad a few of those fish didn't make their way to Mud Creek where I was trying to get a bunch of scouts into a few fish.
[signature]
Error 404 when trying the Link Must have gotten impatient and clicked twice. It did load just took some time.

Congratulations on the successful day. Thanks for posting the video
[signature]
That is awesome! Those cuts bumping the transducer is awesome they sure were hungry!!! Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
And I thought I had a pretty good day with 15 [Tongue]. I guess I need to keep searching for new places to fish - I haven't seen 25/hour on the sonar let alone actually caught that many. Any clues you're willing to share regarding depth, structure, etc.?

Anyway, good to to hear it's possible to have days like that on the ice! Congrats!
[signature]
Cool stuff! Thanks for taking the time to upload the vids. Definitely not the day I had Saturday over at the ladders. Caught 5 by noon, then they stopped biting. Lots of lookers, not many takers.

Fun to watch those cuts, they can be so curious and bold at times. At times they are so wary, other times not at all. I wonder what's the deal?

You were on the X, that's for sure. I haven't had one of those days on the ice yet this season, but I can hope right??[reply][reply][/reply][/reply]
[signature]
Link has been added to the post and the files in the other link are all uploaded and good to go.
[signature]
Strange indeed....I was there on Thursday and Saturday.....On Thursday I pulled a huge SKUNK on Strawberry and almost did not go back on Saturday. That was my first ice skunk in many years so I had to go back and redeem myself.
I indeed got very, very lucky.
[signature]
Congrats on a great day! Those rare times when all the stars align and whatever else happens to appease the fishing Gods, are way too far apart, but thats what keeps us coming back!
[signature]
Very cool video. I loved watching them hit the ducer.
[signature]
I am happy to share the info.....but in a very strange case like this it isnt going to make much of a difference I don't think.
There was zero structure. In fact I was headed for a point I like and it was already occupied. so I ended up smack dab in the middle of a bay. The only reason I selected the spot is because the wind had blown all the snow off this one small section of ice and I didn't have to deal with snow or clear it away.
I was in 32 feet of water....but that didn't matter much either....I was marking and catching fish from 3 inches under the ice to 3 inches off the bottom and everywhere in between. Wherever I stopped my jig I would bounce it a few times and the fish would show up.
Color and size did not matter. I used everything from a small rat-finkie all the way up to a 3 in white tube jig and they hit it all. Pink, white, chartreuse, yellow, green,.....It just did not matter.
And as you can see in the video - I was using a chartreuse jig with a treble hook below it and NO bait and they were still very interested in it.

I really wish I could offer information that would help...but it really was just one of those freaky....lucky as heck days.
[signature]