Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upstream from Swan Falls dam?
I took my 3 kiddos to Swan Falls today. With the sun on our faces and temps approaching 50, it sure felt good -- almost spring-like. This is the first time I've been to the facility since Idaho Power's rehab efforts. The place certainly looks nicer than it did previously. Let's hope it doesn't get trashed (although my confidence in this hope is not very strong).

I've never been on the reservoir behind the dam, but there were a couple of empty boat trailers in the parking lot today.

Assuming a guy had a prop-driven (NON-jet motor) small boat with very little draft, how far can one navigate upstream from the dam?

Poking around on Google Earth, it appears that it's navigable all the way to CJ Strike -- is that correct?
[signature]
Approximately 8 miles before things get too tricky. Further is possible if the water is high.

You should be careful all the way until you learn the river, but for the most part, the middle is fairly safe. Their is one spot about 1-1.5 miles in that could get you if don't do it right. Once you round the first corner (dog leg left) there is an island (there is some danger if you try to go left of the island). If you stay to the right of the island and in the middle of the channel you shouldn't have any trouble.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply.

Just so I'm clear, is the danger or tricky-ness due to shallow water? Or is it more along the lines of rapids/white water?
[signature]
Shallow water and rocks that may be hidden from view.
[signature]