Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Insurance Company??
Ok, it is time to renew my boat insurance. I'm considering changing due to increases in the premium and the company won't cover my boat for what I think it is worth. What company do you use and WHY?? Thanks
[signature]
I use Allstate. I have auto and home through them.
[signature]
I've got Allstate as well, but only for the boat. No reason exactly, they offered it for a good price. I think its around $50 a year for full coverage. I think you can get more coverage by paying more but I'm not sure. You have seen my boat, its a 2003.
[signature]
Progressive. Good rates and coverage for a lot of things including lost tackle. Easy to do online.
[signature]
I'm with Nationwide mainly due to good rates and all the additional coverage for my tackle, rods, reels, down riggers, etc. - be sure and read the fine print on the $$ covered per tackle box - per rod & reel, etc. many have maximums on the contents per tackle bag - say like $200 per tackle box. Be sure they cover your expensive gear and of course theft as well as damage.

I pay a little more for piece of mind - something like $220 a year.
[signature]
Well after checking several insurance companies and quotes, I decided to go with Progressive. I am currently with Allstate and although they have been good, I am getting a better deal, in several different ways, with Progressive. I learned a LOT over the last week with boat insurance. I am now covered for an "agreed" to amount rather than a "cash value" amount. (Yes, "agreed" and "cash value" are legal terms) The difference is my boat is worth more to me (agreed value) than an insurance company's Kelly Blue Book value (cash value). So I told them what I thought my boat was worth and they gave me a quote to the "agreed" value. The amount of coverage was also increased for liability (from $50K to $100K), plus I now have uninsured/underinsured coverage for other boats if they hit mine, and finally I have $2,500 in medical costs if I or someone else gets hurt on my boat. Not to mention theft, personal effects, electronics, etc. That is a LOT more coverage than I previously had. The nice part.....the annual premium went from $124.40 to $118, so I saved a little too. If you haven't reviewed your boat insurance, now is a good time of the year to do so. Oh, I had quotes from Boatus.com, Nationwide, Progressive, and Allstate.
[signature]
I have Progressive too, for the same reasons. Thanks for updating the comparisons, I can just renew without shopping!
[signature]
I go through World Wide Marine that uses Progressive. There is an agreed value on my hull and motor/toys/electronics etc that if anything happens it's all covered. I had a buddy capsize a boat and his ins. company gave him what THEY thought it was worth even though he was paying a ridiculous amount of money.
[signature]