Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing under water cameras
I'm looking into buying an underwater camera for use ice fishing. What's everyone's thoughts? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I have an underwater camera and it is a hoot through the ice. I've used it from
Deer Creek, Strawberry and on up to the Gorge. My friend attached his to the downrigger ball and watch the K. Salmon tag the lure.
The only problem with it is that it does not replace a fish finder. And they tell a lot more than the camera. I would fish with 2 poles and the camera lined up with both baits. You would get lots of takes and didn't see a thing on your pole. Even full in the mouth and they'd swim off and the jig come out of the mouth and often nothing showed on the pole. They are fun. But I only take it when the grandkids want to watch. It gets a lot of attention. You can only put so much on the sled. I have the Cabellas advanced Angler system camera. And I haven't been disapointed. But if I had to pick I'd take the fish finder. It tells the depth and if anything is approaching. Hope that helps.
[signature]
Awesome that does help! I just bought a flasher last weekend and it's been a huge help. I've been watching a lot of videos and doing a fair amount of research and I figure the camera will help me make that next step. I appreciate the feedback!
[signature]
Cameras are a blast and its alot of fun just watching fish behavior. If you buy one make sure it has electric pan option. trying to line up anything cable twisting with your fingers sucks
[signature]
A few years back I purchased a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it was/is fun although not very helpful. Surprising what you see, types of fish and reactions to your presentation. I now use a sonar fish finder to ice fish. Have fun what ever you do, life is too short!
[signature]
If you think hooked fish are good at tangling up in your transducer cable, wait until you have 50 feet of camera wire for them to play with.

Just sayin'
[signature]
[quote flashyfish2]
The only problem with it is that it does not replace a fish finder. You would get lots of takes and didn't see a thing on your pole. Even full in the mouth and they'd swim off and the jig come out of the mouth and often nothing showed on the pole. [/quote]

I'm Confused. If you could see them taking the baits, why would you wait to see something on the pole before giving them a hookset?
[signature]
I just recently bought the Marcum Pancam and love it! It's lightweight, the video is good quality and you can use as many devices (phones/tablets etc.) as you want to view things with. You can even snap pictures/video right from your device! I took my kids to Starvation last weekend and between my phone, my daughters Ipod and my Ipad, no one was gathered around a single screen jockeying for position, everyone could see using their own device and, you have an effective range of up to about 200 feet. It also includes an integrated camera panner for rotating the camera/cord. For the price this unit is awesome! Attached is a picture I snapped with the camera down 49 feet.
[signature]
Fish with me and try my Marcum LX-9.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo..._collapsed
[signature]

Because we were enjoying watching fish. It was at Strawberry and we had already caught fish all morning. And as I said. It is not a replacement for a fish finder. But fun to see their reaction to moving the bait or let it remain still. You know, after catching cuts all morning it was just fun. Fishing is a sport to me and entertainment since I don't eat fish. Especially trout.
[signature]
My two cents on underwater cameras - I have a CFish unit and it has a B&W screen which is about impossible to see outside while fishing. I have to set up my tent and use it inside but it is interesting to watch fish react to the baits and lures. The camera has a remote so the lens can be turned 360 degrees and stopped at any point. Once you find your lure, you can just watch it. One of the frustrating things is you can sometimes see a lot of fish go by and either ignore the lure/bait or just take a look. At least you can say there are fish down there at times. When my wife goes along, we set up the tent and she can use the camera to see what her rig is doing. It is entertaining for her, as well.
[signature]