Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help!
I am new to this site. I plan on fishing the river the weekend of February 5th, 2016. I have never fished the river in my life, I have a new boat with a downrigger and I want to target striper in the daylight hours and catfish at night. I'm driving in from southern California, no idea where to get the best bite? Additionally, I'm not sure how to get around on this site yet, but I am hoping for help from some of you locals out there!
I have heard about "Katherienes landing, Willow beach, mead, Havasue, and Mojave. I don't know where the fish are most active this time of year...
[signature]
Not sure what state your going to fish. Scroll down to the state that interests you and click on and post your question.
[signature]
It sounds like you are heading to parts of the Colorado River. The nice part about that river is that you really don't need to troll much.

The Stripers hang out at the points or the mouth of each of the coves.

Just as you did in California, use your Anchovy bait and tie it on a double dropper loop or drop shot. Tie your weight on the bottom and then just 1 hook at about 18 inches from the bottom and then another at around 24 inches from the bottom.

The fish bite best this time of year in about 10 to 12 feet of water. The thermocline seems to be better supporting with their bait fish around that level.[cool]
[signature]
I will be on Mead Feb. 6,7,8. I will have another hour of break in I have to do on my new motor. I have been digging into mead heavily and looking at old reports and talking to people that have been there recently. Here is my post from the Utah board with a little info[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=963525;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"] CLICK HERE[/url]
Some of the best advice I got (I think) was find what depth the shad are schooled up using your electronics and go back into the coves until the bottom is that depth.
Reports from anglers that I've talked to is that at Mead the stripers are between 75' and 125' but some smaller ones can be found shallower. The bladders will be sticking out of their mouths coming up from that deep so I won't be fishing for them too much but focusing on smallmouth and largemouth. My favorites.
The Callville marina is much more protected and highly suggested to use as it is protected and you don't have to go right out into the open lake to go anywhere.
I'll be in a white/blue Viper Coral 202 with a brand spanking new Mercury 225 Pro XS that I'll be breaking in. Holler at me if you see me.
[signature]