Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Man Pontoon Help
Hey All,

So I am looking to get a pontoon boat (I think) that will give me the ability to also stand while I fish. I have seen a few two man, but that just seems like a bit much for some simple still water fishing. I don't anticipate back packing to any lakes with it, so it wouldn't need to be a super portable option, but if I can have my fish and eat it too (see what I did there), then for sure I would be open to that. My main thing is for it to not break the bank (or my marriage for the matter), have a platform so I can easily stand while I fish and have the flexibility to add on some aftermarket accessories down the road (trolling motor, mounts, etc...). Maybe I am better off with a kayak, but I like the idea of the more stable pontoon. I'm only 35 and I good shape with good balance so maybe a kayak is a good option too. Please let me know what you have, pros/cons or what you would recommend. I am primarily into fly fishing, but love the idea of getting into some deeper water with a bate rod as well.

Thanks for your help!!

Tight Lines!
[signature]
Look at some of Dave Scadden's North Fork Outdoors stuff. He has just about any configuration of a pontoon you could want, well-made. Also, you might post this on the float tube forum, if you haven't already. Lots of input there. I have had a couple of Scadden's 'toons, though none of the stand-up models. He has a few though. Google his site for photos.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on the other specific forum. I have posted there as well. I think I have a good idea of what I will get. Really liking the Fish Cat 9 footer right now I think. We shall see what happens. Would be nice to have it all ready to go for Ice Off!

Thanks again!
[signature]
Look at some of the new fishing Kayaks as well. I have been reading about some of the Hobbies and the pro angler is like 38 inches wide and a twin hull which would make if very stable. It is just expensive.

As far as motors go remember you will have to register it as a boat if you put a motor on it.

I have a scadden H3 float tube and I have been very happy with it so far. I have to take it up and test out the warranty though. The material has came out form the hulky valve and seam is came unglued where the inflation tube goes into the seat.
[signature]