Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee season at AR/LP?
I have a question for all of the SW Idaho kokanee experts. During a typical winter/spring (if such a thing exists...) , what is generally the best date range for targeting kokanee at Arrowrock and Lucky Peak?

March thru May?
[signature]
That's a hard question to answer and depends on what your looking for. Jump over to the sister site and you will get all the kokanee info you can handle.
[signature]
I won't claim being an expert but we did great in May/June last year. Arrow Rock water level dropped too much and we stopped fishing it first week July, did well in Lucky Peak through July and also again in September.

We didn't fish March & April so not sure, planning to get out earlier this season.
[signature]
Me an a friend went out christmas eve and caught them. Plenty of people were at arrow rock until it froze over. It's not a feeding bite so you can catch them year round. They just happen to grow really fast so todays 12 inches will be 16" in July.
[signature]
Good input, guys. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
[signature]
What is the sister site?
[signature]
At one time the site he was referring to was owned by the same person that owned BFT, so it was a sister site but that is no longer the case and links are not allowed to competing web sites per the BFT rules listed above under the FAQ. I will tell you it is a kokanee fishing board and I'm sure if you send AverysAdventure a PM he will tell you the name of it. By the way welcome to BFT.
[signature]
Thanks for the warm welcome Wiperhunter. This is a great forum. Look fwd to lots of great fishing trips this spring.
[signature]
You have a lot of great guys there on the Idaho board. Looking forward to reading your future post. What kind of fish are you interested in catching?
[signature]
I primarily fish for walleye since i live near twin falls. I do make several trips to eastern oregon for steelhead each spring. I really want to learn the idaho steelhead runs a little better. I have gone on several trips here and usually only catch 1 or 2 each time.

Went up to Mackay last weekend and put the hurt on some Kokanee. I would recommend that as a fun late winter trip for sure.

[inline IMG_3466.JPG]
[signature]
I sent you a PM a couple days ago BobberSlaughter. I hope you have figured out how to get to them by now.
Hopefully we can fish together sometime. We have a cabin down at Salmon Falls so we chase the walleye a lot. Maybe you can help my catching side of it? See you on the water.

Rod
[signature]
My favorite fish to eat are walleye, then kokanee. My son lives in Nampa and last year he started fishing for Steelhead there, he said 1 or 2 each time he went was about average.
[signature]
Hey Rod,

I am out there on a weekly basis. I have a burnt orange dodge with the side boxes. I usually put in at Greys and motor around from there early in the season. I caught tons of fish out there last year. Avg size has been a bit of a disappointment. Cant wait to fish out there this spring. Caught my first Walski in Feb last year. I am betting it will be April before all the ice melts this year!! I would really like to learn how to catch some of the bigger fish.

Keith
[signature]
Fished SFCR for first time last year in June and had fun catching walleye.
Cant wait to get back down there to try again. Sounds like April ?? [Smile]

(sorry for stealing the thread)
[signature]
Welcome to the site, BobberSlaughter!! As moderator, one of my goals has been to attract more participators in the area from Twin to the Oregon border. I always urge fishermen I meet in the field to give it a try, and have been somewhat successful, considering that the site was almost exclusively SE Idaho when I first discovered it. Now, if only we could enlist the northern part of the state to begin using this site. We never get reports on Pend'Oreille, Priest, or Coeur d'Alene Lakes for example. Anyway, again welcome. Mike
[signature]
Thx for the welcome Kodiak! Look fwd to some good reports!!
[signature]