Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Ra inbows
Got into the rainbows for a short time at Rockport yesterday. Small schools coming in and aggressively biting. Then some guy had to come and get right on top of us burning holes with a power auger. That was it. Only saw one more fish on the finder for the next hour or so. Maybe it was just the end of the morning bite, but it sure was frustrating. Such a big lake, but that was the only place he could find to fish.
Lots of people and families, but a lot of standing around,too. No tagged fish for us.
[signature]
Thanks for reporting. How thick was the ice? Its always frustrating when folks do that, he must have noticed you had caught some.... sorry no tags, but it did look like it great weather.
i see that more in utah then any other state i fish in its called the utah pattern or the pole bend pattern .. its like parking at walmart, never fails there can bee 100 other spots to park.
when you walk out some one just has to park right next to you so you have to squeeze into your own truck.
[signature]
Doesn't just happen on the ice.. Happens just about every trip I take to Strawberry. Every time we start catching fish in certain areas next thing we know we have 10 boats within 100 yards of us. It's like they take binoculars and watch for people catching fish. It's intense! Ha
[signature]
I've was a good 10 - 12 inches where we were.
[signature]
Get a dog with a social issues. My dog barks and snarls at people that come close unless I tell her it's ok. Only occasionally does some idiot choose to stand there and chat or fish while my dog goes berserk and even that's short lived. Someone's going to speak up and say that that's not fair or you should be more accepting of people blah blah blah. I'll go ahead and tell you right now, it's my choice who I associate with, not yours.
[signature]
I thought everyone used bios I sure do at the gorge fabulous senery[sly]
[signature]
What part of the lake were you fishing? I am hoping it wasn't me, though I don't think it was. I was about 80 yards from the nearest person but I have a gas auger. I usually punch 5 holes in the shape of an hourglass when I get to my spot.

The guys I was near were catching fish after I got there so I don't think you were them. But after seeing this post it got me to wondering and I like to make sure the karma fishing balance doesn't go out of whack :-).
[signature]
I did want to add that it seems that 20' makes a world of difference sometimes at Rockport. The fish school and it is almost like they school in lanes that they stick to. I have had times where I get down to the lake but someone is already in the area I fish and I will try to stay far enough from them to not encroach but close enough to the fishing hole to not have a slow day. Closest I have ever encroached on someone is about 75'. I have had people put up a hut 8' from me before...
[signature]
No, it wasn't you.
We walked several hundred yards along the edge from the boat ramp, and fished off a small point.
[signature]
Thanks for the reassurance!. Sorry the fishing died off when they did that.
[signature]
How were the edges? Id like to take my 14 year old son on friday but dont feel like going for a dup before we get on the ice.
[signature]
Edges were rock-hard solid on Saturday.
[signature]
It has been really hot up there this week. Expect the edges will be soft. I was going to bring a pallet to put down.

Edit: I can see people down on the north and north-west parts of the ice, so there is that.

It's been above freezing with a LOT of sun lately. The last few days it's almost gotten to 50 degrees!

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-wea...0211/mweek

I'll walk down to the lake tomorrow and have a look at the edges on the west side if no one else posts.
[signature]
Edges on the West (2nd bathroom) and south west (4th bathroom) are soft. Just went down and checked. at about 6" of water it's pretty easy to go through. That said, at 5:15PM my snowmobile cleared it (going about 15mph, though). I walked the edges on both and at 180#'s I went through on one foot if I stood for a few seconds. That said, it looks like people have been shoveling snow and stacking it up in a few areas that is packed down pretty good - so no pallets or planks needed :-).

It will probably be fine in the mornings, evening on Monday might be sketchy though (with how warm it usually is in the afternoon).
[signature]