Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep cycle batteries
I recently inherited an Outcast fishcat IR-10 Stand up pontoon, and I want everyone's take on deep cycle batteries.

-What brand/model battery do you prefer?

-Are Optima Blue Top marine batteries worth the price tag?

-What lb thrust do you use on your 'toon, and how long is your vessel?

[cool]
[signature]
I use an interstate deep cycle marine battery. I have a 14ft cat with a row frame that can fish 3 guys. I use it in the rivers, and also in lakes from time to time. I have a 40lb thrust minn kota and it pushes that big boat pretty well in the lake as long as the wind isn't whipping. The battery usually lasts about 8 hours of trolling if fully charged and I don't have it on high speed the whole time.
[signature]
I just got a little over 8 years with DieHards that served me extremely well for my Minnkota Terrova. Last week I finally had to replace my factory 2007 atv battery.
My daily driver has a 13 yr old Napa gold in it that is still going.
Most batteries are made by just a couple companies, the secret to longevity is charging them immediately after use and NEVER letting the internal plates get exposed to air.
[signature]
Another secret to battery longevity is not leaving them in your boat or trailer when driving to and from Lost Creek. That bumpy road tossed mine and cracked one of the cells. I am also in the market for a new one because of that. [:/]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]AGM all the way. Yes, they ARE expensive. But they are damn near bullet proof and are 100% sealed - can't run dry. I'm going on 8 years for one I use to push a 12' jon boat for duck hunting. Charge it once when I store it for the year in a heated room and then again the week before duck season. Charge it after every use and leave it outside. STILL going strong after 7 years. Cabela's WILL have them on sale shortly. Worth every penny.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Lot of good recommendations so far, I think the keep charged after use is a great tip and has made mine hold up pretty well also... I got a size 27 deep cycle from Sam's Club, not sure of brand name, but it has been an incredible battery, has long life and runs my motor most of the day on a charge, provided it's on a slower trolling speed... Got a new motor controller that now allows me to set my speed better and it should extend my battery life as well.. However, that is slow trolling, not wiper trolling at 3+ mph... That speed eats my batteries fast... My toon is a 9' Sportsman Warehouse green machine... Later J
[signature]
+1 for the Cabelas AGM battery. I had an Energizer deep cycle from Sam's club that did a fine job for years, but one day it did leak and ruined some of my equipment it was riding next to in the truck. AGM's are sealed and Cabela's always puts them on sale for $50 off in the spring and at various time of the year. I have even seen $70 off at Christmas before. I use a 27 group and run a 55lb thrust minn kota traxxis motor on an 11' scadden cardiac canyon toon. I can run at least 8 hours but I usually run about 1-1.5 mph. When I ever need to replace the one I have now I think I will go for the 30 'group' size, but dang they are heavy! 2 suggestions for you to consider though. Use a fish finder with a battery volt meter on it so you know when you are getting to the end of your day's battery life. Also, I recommend a 55lb thrust with "maximizer technology". This "technology" uses the battery more efficiently somehow. And the 55lb is nice if the wind comes up or if you need to get somewhere a little quicker and they really are not that much difference in price when you consider the years you will own it. Oh also, probably even more importantly, on the motor get the 'variable" speed rather than the '5 speed' or whatever it is. Being able to micro adjust the speed is very very helpful in many situations.
Congratulations on 'inheriting' a nice toon. I have never used Optima batteries but I have only heard good about them.
[signature]
The sealed AGM batteries are pretty nice. You wouldn't want any acid on your toons. Yeah, a little spendy but worth it. I think I'm gonna keep an eye on Cabelas and see when they go on sale so I can put them in the boat.
I can't speak for Optimas. I've always been too cheap and Walmart batteries have never let me down. I had to upgrade my starting battery for CCA requirements for my new motor. Interstate had the best deal for what I needed.
[signature]
I have an optima yellow top battery in my truck and it has worked great! I have had it in there for about 5 years now and it runs my truck and my upgraded stereo just fine. The surprising part is there have been weeks at a time in the winter when I haven't started it and it fires my truck up just fine. It was pretty spendy but my opinion is that I want something reliable and am willing to pay the money to not have to worry. I can't speak for the blue tops but I would say they would be just as reliable.
[signature]