Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake ice conditions?
Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone had any up to date ice condition info on bear lake. I have noticed that the temps were up in the 40s the last couple days and it isn't supposed to be below freezing tonight. I wanted to head up there tomorrow but it is a 3 hour drive for me. Any info on the ice and edges would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to make the drive and not be able to get on. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
The ice is perfectly fine and ranges from 6" to over a foot depending on location. Edges are not an issue as this lake does not raise at a fast rate. There are some pressure ridges and larger cracks that have formed over the weekend. Just watch where you walk and you will be fine.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Looks like it is still a go then. I doubt that one night of temps in the 30s will do much damage. I saw that it was down in the 20s at night all weekend so we should be fine.
[signature]
Good luck tomorrow, hope it holds out through the week so I can head up on Sunday.
[signature]
We were out there today from 9am until 4:30pm. From 1-4:30 we were the only ones left on the entire lake...crazy wind and rain pushed everyone else off. There was still about 7" of good ice, but we were swimming in 1-2" of free standing water. If these conditions (warm, windy and rain) continue this week, it could spell the end quickly! When we left the lake we looked back, and if we didn't know better, it looked like all open water....Again, there was still 6-7" of good ice under it all, but time to be careful.
[signature]
Yeah, that is bad news.... what I was worried about with the forecasted temps.
[crazy]
[signature]
I hear ya...I hate this when the ice is on its final leg. The shore is still just fine too, and we were out with a wheeler, no problems....But it sucks dealing with rain, heavy wind, and warm temps at the same time! we just entered off the SW side from a pull off area and drove out. But watching the wind blow the standing water like a little river, was surreal and it looked like we were standing on water...not hard water either! Smile
[signature]
We fished the rock pile today and as already stated the ice is in good shape. It rained nearly all day and I think that is where most of the water came from. I wouldn't say that fishing was great but we did catch quite a few nice cutts lost a couple of really big fish, one of them my buddy caught and his pole just didn't have enough backbone to lift it off the bottom more than 5 feet! 20 plus minutes later we tried helping out a little and the knot broke! White fish are lousy I caught at least 40 maybe more. Good luck
[signature]