Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finders with side and down imaging
I am considering upgrading the fish finder on my boat to one that has down and side imaging. I would really like to hear opinions on what units I should consider. The latest and greatest would be nice, but I am also not opposed to saving some bucks by going the used route. Please share your thoughts and actual experiences with specific models.

Thanks
[signature]
We just mounted a hummer [#1a0dab]999ci HD SI Combo. Love love love it.[/#1a0dab]
[#1a0dab]
[/#1a0dab]
[#1a0dab]considerations were screen size at 8"[/#1a0dab]
[#1a0dab]side imaging[/#1a0dab]
[#1a0dab]dual beam[/#1a0dab]
[#1a0dab]full blown built in GPS with trail markers. [/#1a0dab]
[signature]
Still getting used to it but I bought the Helix 7 a couple of months before HB announced the Helix 9.
Was tempted to change the 7 for the 9 but am extremely impressed with the quality of the 7.
Has been working great for me, I just cant figure out how to 'see' the fish on my Si but as soon as Willard defrosts I will begin trying to figure it out.
I am not a techie so I know it is going to be tough on my small brain.
[signature]
I have an Elite 5HD DI on the front of my boat. I have a lot to learn about the down imaging, but so far I like it. Nice to see stick ups and other stuff that you wouldn't be aware of other wise. Like Shane I have a hard time seeing fish, but thats me not the machine.
[signature]
I am upgrading this spring and I will be selling my Gen 2 HDS 7 . It has DI and SI. I have used it for one year and it works great. I'm upgrading to a humminbird Helix 10 because of the auoto chart feature. You can make a map while you fish. I have always had Lowrance products and never had any problems. Lowrance does not have this feature... Yet. I know they will come out with it next year. As far as DI and SI, I have found the DI to be useful for indentifing bottom composition. I can also see fish in the rocks that do not show up on sonar. I mostly jig for big lake trout so the map is key, but I really think this is a great unit. If you are interested shoot me a PM. I get my boat out of storage in mid April so the unit would be available then.
[signature]
That's a nice unit, are you buying the 360 degree transducer setup?
Would be great for locating schools of kokanee and then tromp right thru them.
[signature]
Kent, I have a Humminbird 788 with DI and I wish I would have waited until the current models were out. The mapping software mentioned above I think will be far more useful than DI and Si. They are nice, but I find I don't use it very often. Good GPS and good resolution on a regular fish finder are more important and I think the mapping would be great as well. Just my thoughts. Later J
[signature]
Kent,
If you are going to get a Hummingbird one thing to be aware of - for a nominal fee you can send the transducer that comes with the unit back for an upgrade. The upgraded transducer has two options for SI 455kHz/800kHz. The original transducer has to be unused and in the original packaging. 800kHz produces a shaper image. I wish I had known this before my transducer was installed.
[signature]
I'm just getting the DI model. My unit has side imaging, I just have not learned how to use it. I'm looking foward to making my own maps but I know they will have something better right after I buy it. !! Lowrance does have this option but you have to upload to a computer where some one will make a map of your lake and sell it, after you did all the work mapping it. I have never owned a Humminbird but every one seems to like the ones they have. We shall see. Only three and half months till ice off here !!
[signature]
My old boat had a HDS 7 gen 2 with structure scan. I loved this unit. When I fished shallow water like Willard the structure scan was fantastic for finding fish since they tend to move from under the boat. It was a bit weird learning to look at it though but it worked. There is more structure in Willard than I imagined.

My new boat has a 999c HD with side imaging. Most of the time I fish deep for lake trout jigging. To be honest I wish I had the old HDS7 but not for the side imaging. It doesn't zoom in on the bottom with the side bar that shows current returns unless you push 4 buttons to start zooming by moving the top down. Pain especially if they are chasing you up.

Anyway I would go to cabelas and play with them and see what you like. The map making on the new humminbirds would be awesome for me too. The Navionics maps are not accurate at the gorge.

I have thought about selling the 999
[signature]
That's funny bud, nobody is sitting back waiting for your map so they can sell it. It's technology. If you would have taken the time to learn about Insight Genesis for your lowrance maps that you upload to your finder you would be impressed. Everybody is different. It might work for you. I prefer to look at my maps, waypoints, structure, markers, hot spots, weedlines, rock piles, channel lines, laydowns and elevations on my computer monitor and know what I'm looking at before I get on the lake and have to mess around with my finder trying to look at all that on a smaller screen.
Kent, I'll be upgrading and selling my HDS 8 Gen1 with structurescan module, 83/200 transducer, power cable, gimbals, etc. Not looking for a profit, just offer it to someone who will take care of it.
[signature]
I went with all New Garmin 73sv and a 93sv models. They are clear and very easy to use. The side scan and down scan are amazing when it comes to detail. I have used the Lowrance gen1 models and they are nice as well but IMO Garmin has them beat.
Example is I can see detail on cinderblocks in 30ft of water on some of the old structures on PV and the schools of crappie around and over them. easy to move cursor over and hit mark and it will put you on top of it for use with your down scan.

Go to Bassboatcentral forums and they have all the brands with info and pics of all different things people take on their units to show and or ask what it is. nice way to compare them against each other.
[signature]
I appreciate all of the replies and suggestions. I would really like to get out on the water and see some of these in action to make my final decision.
[signature]
Don't leave RayMarine off your list. The chirp is clearer than most higher priced units and works great. You can find one online for around $550-$600. I just had my 2nd unit installed on my new boat. See pic attached. Look at the DragonFly 7 Pro...Smaller units are around $200 on the RayMarine direct site.
[signature]
Wow, you have a great looking boat.[Smile]
[signature]
Cost more than my first house...
[signature]
Here's a good site with various models reviewed and what's coming out in 2016

http://www.fishfinders.info/
[signature]
Thanks Craig that is extremely helpful. The prices have certainly dropped.
[signature]
Would like to hear opinions on side imaging from those who have that feature on their current fish finders.
[signature]
I don't use side imaging a lot, it takes some getting use to, you need to be moving for it to work over 1.5 mph is best
here is some snap shots from my 998 humminbird
[signature]