Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 wt setup
I just picked up an 8 weight rod and reel from Allen Fly Fishing. I am planning on chasing Tiger Muskie and Wipers this year. I may also make my first Steelhead trip this year.

My question is: What do you guys use your larger setups for? I want to find some more uses for this rod. Thanks.
[signature]
I'm in the market for a large set up too! That sounds like you have a good one for sure! I am looking to chase the musky specifically with mine as well, but my have it lead me on some bass trips in case I snag something larger. I heard that Willard bay has some good large fish fly opportunities, but I haven't looked into it too much. I would think that carp would be a blast on that too! Just bought a pontoon and looking for a new rod and reel next.
[signature]
I use my 8wt for streamers for trout a lot. Since I switched over to tungsten for all my flies, having the 8wt makes them much easier to cast. Even for smaller trout, I use an 8wt. I won't cast a streamer with my 6wt ever again.
[signature]
I use it for largemouth more than anything. It makes it much easier turning big, bulky, and sometimes very heavy bass flies over. It also helps muscle out decent bass when they try to dive into cover.
[signature]
I have to agree with you there especially if your tossing # 1 and 2 with a tungsten bead on them. It's sure not fun getting hit by one of them [laugh].
[signature]
The wipers in Willard are an absolute blast on the fly.

T.B.
[signature]
Thanks for all the advice guys. I can't wait for some of the ice to melt and get out there.
[signature]
ru22dizzle you will have a blast fishing out of that new pontoon. I love mine.

Also, if your looking for a rod take a look at allenflyfishing.com there stuff is awesome and the prices are really decent.
[signature]
Everyone I know who fishes for larger musky on the regular use a 10 or 12 weight I landed a 34" on my 9 weight and it was like pulling a sea-monster out with a Twizzler.... If you count on doing a lot of musky fishing I would aim a bit higher than an 8, but an 8 is great for bass and large streamers/lake fishing.
[signature]
I really appreciate that feedback. I was planning a 9 or 10, but didn't want to go too big. I think this helped solidify that for me. I will probably be using it down south to hunt redfish too, so I wanted something that could handle that too.
[signature]
I use my 8 wts for carp.
And it puts the "f u" in fun!
[signature]
[quote mousehatch]Everyone I know who fishes for larger musky on the regular use a 10 or 12 weight I landed a 34" on my 9 weight and it was like pulling a sea-monster out with a Twizzler.... If you count on doing a lot of musky fishing I would aim a bit higher than an 8, but an 8 is great for bass and large streamers/lake fishing.[/quote]

I've caught a fair share of T. Muskies on flies in Utah. I started with a 10wt, but after casting 1000's of times you can put a good amount of stress on your forearm and elbow. I ended up with some nasty tennis elbow with the 10wt. Ive switched to my RPLX sage 8wt and I find it has more than enough stout to land these beasts. Although the strike is awesome, these fish usually stay near the top when hooked, they don't tend to run very far and they wear down fairly fast (compared to saltwater). The 8wt is so much lighter, its a joy to cast all day (and cast you will).
[signature]
BC_UT
Sorry to re-hash this thread, but wanted to know what model Allens rod you purchased. I have a #4 Azimuth that is very nice and looking to get. #6 and #8 in this line...eventually. I used an #8 Volant in Cancun last year and worked well. Not as fast as I normally so decided to go the azimuth route.
Thanks

HM
[signature]
No worries HockeyMan. Here's the story:
I had about $500 in store credit with Allen and my plan was to pick up an Alluvion in an 8 weight and an Alpha III reel. When I went to order it the rod was out of stock so I had to wait a few weeks. While I was waiting I started to think about how much I also wanted a shorter 3 weight for small creek fishing. Allen has an 8 weight combo (rod, reel and line) for $149 it is their entry level prelude rod. So I talked myself into that and I was also able to pick up a Heritage 3 weight with a reel for roughly the same price as the other set up. I was worried about the "budget rod" but I have taken it out and threw some streamers and it is really a great rod for the price.

I will probably end up still getting the other set up at some point but for now I really like the prelude and the Heritage 3 weight is pretty sweet.
[signature]
Hey, just curious what type of line you are running on your 8wt? I am curious if you use a sink tip, full sink or floating? Looking at the RIO In Touch Pike/Musky line, but not sure what will be best. I'm thinking floating, but then again I want to be sure I can get down deep enough too.

thanks for any help you can provide!
[signature]
Right now I am using floating line. when I need to get down I add a sink tip. I have a few in different sink rates but I usually use the one that sinks at about 2 inches per second. Hope that helps.
[signature]
I'm old school saltwater so I use shooting heads with mono running line. I like clear intermediate for the head. Shooting heads cast different but I can get more distance. 100+ feet
[signature]
I use one everyday for Jordan River Carp (and whatever else wants to play.
They are great for bigger flies and windy days.
[Image: 29067357-f1e9-4992-a173-9669cc78ff8a_zpspstyib48.jpg]
[signature]
Nice Pic! Where are you usually going after Carp on Jordan River? Never tried it, but would love to put my 8wt onto some crazy Carp!
[signature]
I ride my Bike along the Jordan trail and look for pools. Pretty muddy right now so just take a chance.
[signature]