Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you seen this?
The new trolling motor from Minn Kota - it's nice, but pricey ...pretty sweet though

[url "http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Freshwater-Bow-Mount/Ulterra/"]http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Freshwater-Bow-Mount/Ulterra/[/url]
Wow, that's quiet a bit of money for an auto deploy system... I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Minn Kota mainly for the virtual anchor... Does anyone have any recommendations on which model is the best for the money?
[signature]
[quote HD7000]

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Minn Kota mainly for the virtual anchor...

[/quote]

That is what I primarily use mine for and it is a vast improvement over dropping an anchor, as along as the wind isn't blowing too hard.
[signature]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q

A picture being worth a thousand words..... Check out the video.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Saw it, thanks for posting the link - that would be really sweet especially when launching alone, huh? Hopefully the price will come way down before we'll need to replace our PowerDrive, but I really like that they are continuing to improve the offered features/options that we'll have to choose from - maybe we'd better start a 'savings kitty' for when the time does come - LOL
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]If you are considering an upgrade to this system or just adding I-Pilot Link to your current system, you should be aware that if you want 100% functionality/compatibility of the Link system with your sonar, your sonar MUST be a Humminbird. The system will not FULLY function with a Lowrance product; only partial functionality is available and contour following is not one of them. At least that's what the Minn Kota technical rep just told me on the phone.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
How about the Garmin units?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The tech seemed pretty adamant that it only works 100% with Humminbird products, but I just asked about Lowrance.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
OK thanks Bob, I'm looking to put a new Minn-Kota on the Ol'Crestliner this spring but I think I will go with the Terrova/I-pilot. I'm still running the Minn-kota maxum that was on the boat when I bought it new in 2002 still runs like a champ but would like to get one with the Ipilot. I'm not a Hummingbird or Motor Guide fan so I will either stick with Lowrance or possibly a Garmin. My handheld GPS is a Garmin and so far I like it.
[signature]
I just purchased a Terrova 80 with a 60" shaft to replace my current bow mount. I got the one with I Pilot, but my bowmount unit is Lowrance. Toying with the idea of selling the unit and gettinig Hummingbird for the front. I wanted the hand held remote, but the more I think, the more I want the Link to work.

Will let you all know how it works when I can get it in the water !!!
Bought one last year . Took all summer to get enough time to mount it up. Workin 70 hr weeks made it tough on fun time . I bought a hummingbird to go with it got to use it once. Can't wait for some open water to learn how to run it.
[signature]
I've been toying with the idea of getting a MG Xi5 just for the anchor lock and being able to set courses on my finder. I looked at the new MK's but I already have too much invested in electronics to switch over.
I don't see many bass boats with those types of motors, Does anybody know why?
[signature]
Good info Bob, thanks. We do have I-Pilot, so I guess... if down the road we do replace what we have we have, we'd have to look into replacing our Lowrance as well.

All good to know, cause we'd also need to up the 'kitty' pool goal.

Thanks again for checking on that!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I modified/upgraded my MK system to the basic iPilot last summer to allow speed/direction control using a remote fob. Very handy to control the boat, especially when fishing alone and trolling.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have not contacted Lowrance about this - yet - but their Gen 2/Gen 3 HDS sonar units are fully compatible with the Moto Guide Xi5 motors (virtually the same system as the Minn Koto iPilot Link system). And according to most - but certainly not all - reviews/comparisons of both systems the Xi5 is given a slight advantage over the iPilot Link. Both systems are liked a lot by the people that use them.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have a Gen 1 HDS 7 and don't know if it would work with the Xi5. That's what I need to talk to Lowrance about, and will do so before the soft deck season starts in earnest.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm not sure if MG has an auto deploy/retrieval system like the new MK that started this thread.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Both systems are going to cost well over 2 grand to get working in my boat. Will probably be closer to 3 grand by the time the additional required accessories (like new batteries, etc.) are added. Ouch![/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Most bass guys want the quick cable steering and do not want to wait for the 'slow' electric motor to send them in a new direction.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I would guess that 99% of bass fishing use of electric motors is for maneuverability in and around shallow wed bed structure and along shore lines. Steering, speed control, trolling is NOT part of that picture as it is for most other types of fishing from a boat. They don't need an anchor or GPS controlled functionality. They just want to precisely position themselves for their next cast to a bass and the electric motor does that very well.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I am driving to Idaho Falls tomorrow to take delivery of my new 21 ft Weldcraft. I have added the new Ulterra (white salt water version) after having great success with the Terrova on my 17 ft Crestliner. I have upped the thrust to 112 lbs. I am really hooked on the electronic anchor function...we can camp right over a group of lakers at the gorge and the gps keeps us within a foot or two.

I chose to go with the self-deploy due to my discomfort with retrieving my Terrova when wind and waves are kicking up at the gorge or Powell. I have added a few pics below...Can't wait to pick her up tomorrow!!
[signature]
No doubt that auto deploy/retrieve feature would have been really handy when Jeff was recuperating from his shoulder surgery!

We do have the remote control FOB for ours and we love it - very responsive - and we can set the spot lock when we want to stop trolling and jig/fish a specific area.

I'll just have to pull out my 'kitty' jar again and get savings started - LOL at least it will help offset the expense when the time comes. It's really amazing how quickly it can add up when all you're doing is tossing in spare change now and then.
Congrats on the new ride Fish Utah Bob. I have a 2015 Weldcraft and haven't yet invested on the bow mount electric. I would love to hear how it performs once you have had a chance to run it. Tell Mike, Greg and the crew Hello. Nice boat you will love it.
[signature]