Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon Registration
I'm sure this was already known by most, but it was news to me, so I thought I would pass along. For those of us that put motors on our inflatable pontoon boatsin 2016, the state registration fees for ALL watercraft went up from $28.50 to $43.50. This makes the total for a pontoon with a motor about $53.50, which is up from $38.50 last year. So, it's official, my 9ft inflatable now costs more to register than my ATV. Kind of funny.
[signature]
Yes all the fees went up last July.
[signature]
I think that hit last year, I wasn't very happy, especially since I license a boat as well and $10- $15 of the fee is for invasive species related costs... Seems like you should only have to pay that once... they need to make a plate like a dealers license for boats so you could use it on any boat you wanted... there's times I'd like to have a little aluminum boat for duck hunting and fishing tough launches like porcupine, but when the license fee is high enough to buy a new boat every other year, I think I'll try to get by with the toon or the ski/fish boat... and I keep wondering why I license the toon, except for a couple trips a year that the toon can't be beat for.. Last year I tried to hold out and not license my toon and just use the oars, but all that did was make me miss some really good trips not having the motor option, so I considered not licensing the boat, but what do ya do when you have company??? So I gave up riding my snowmobile and wheeler to afford to pay my boat fees... Most ice fishing locations I can walk to... Anyway, yes I fully agree we are getting hosed if we use recreational vehicles in the state of Utah, most over taxed items there are as far as I'm concerned.. Too bad we don't have a good legislator that would dish us some relief... Later J
[signature]
You said, "ALL" but you also said, "if you put a motor on them." So if I have a pontoon or a small aluminum row boat, do I still have to go through the process, if I don't mount a motor?
[signature]
It must be registered only if you put a motor on it.
[signature]
What about electric troll motor only (no gas motor)...? Still need registered?
[signature]
Yes if you put an electric motor on it must be registered. I have a toon and a tube that both have motors on them and must be registered each year.
[signature]
I don't have a ton but have a inflatable raft I use for fishing. Went fishing up DC last year justly rowing around the wind picked up and had to row against the wind to get back to shore. From then decided to put a motor on it and had to pay IMO a high fee. Before I registered it I found out that you can register your boat in Wyoming ($15 for 1 year or $40 for 3 years) even if you don't have a Wyoming address. I didn't end up doing it though since I needed to get my boat registered ASAP for a fishing trip. I talked to wyoming rangers ad they confirmed you don't eneed a wyoming address however if they need to inspect your boat you might end up having to go over there. Might be something to look in to.
[signature]
And... don't forget the Q & Z mussel certification required on anything that floats. You'll need a copy on your toon and another on the dash of your vehicle. Fun.
[signature]
I think the ever tax happy legislators figured out your out of state registration deal and passed a law a number of years back that attaches a stiff fine if they catch you doing this... Seems like it was a $2000 fine if I remember correctly... Here is the part of the law I am not completely familiar with, not sure it applies to off road machines or if it was a vehicle only deal... I would study that out before I got caught breaking that law, it would be very painful if you get nailed doing that... If it is legal let us know I'd come up with a Wyoming or Idaho spot to register my water craft since Utah is so far out of line on their fees... Later J
[signature]
You can register your boat in Wy. and keep it in UT for up to 60 consecutive days. If its in UT for more than 60 consecutive days then it's got to be registered in UT.
I thought about transferring my boat to my dad's name and storing it up there. I can use a canoe for Porcupine (that's about the only place I fish in Cache valley) and paddle fast enough to troll. I am usually at the gorge with my boat anyway so there is no reason to keep it registered here.
[signature]
Yup I was aware of that rule. Wyoming has a rule too that the boat has to be stored in Wyoming year round for it to be registered on WY by out of state residents. I don't think there's really a way that rangers would know if your boat has been in Utah more than 60 consecutive days unless of course you live by one or you go around telling people. Lol..
[signature]