Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minersville Ice Off
Long time lurker, figured it was time to start posting reports. Stopped to check out the campsites at Minersville on my way back from Lake Powell and was shocked to find open water. The entire Northern portion of the lake was ice free and the edges were receded about 20ft all around the lake. I fished for a good hour with some success, landed 4 rainbows and had one wiper hooked. All fish came on solid pink and white marabou jigs fished slowly along the bottom.
[signature]
Good news, thanks for the report! I'm itching for some soft water.
[signature]
Welcome to the site S&T12 and thanks for the report. I've been thinking about hitting Minersville this Spring, sounds like its coming early this year. Wipers hitting early too thats pretty amazing.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the report and for signing up. I should look into minersville one of these days. What are the campgrounds like? Amenities etc..?
[signature]
The campground is nice and next to the boat ramp. It has showers and power.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Thanks for the report and for signing up. I should look into minersville one of these days. What are the campgrounds like? Amenities etc..?[/quote]

They are also putting a doc in this spring. Before if you wanted to leave you boat in the water is was just on the shoreline. The doc will be directly below the campground. They have done some nice revamping of the camp ground. Last April/May was probably the best trolling for trout I have ever had.
[signature]
Minersville is on my to do list this month, looking forward to it
[signature]
Nice! [cool]
[signature]
Could anyone tell me how big the wipers get in this lake? I'll have to check it out this spring / summer.
[signature]
Wormandbobber can confirm this or not but I think they are up to 23" there.
[signature]
every bit of 23". I think you could end up breaking New Castle's state record at Minersville...
[signature]
Wow, that is a pig, what month did you catch it?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Wow, that is a pig, what month did you catch it?[/quote]

if I answered, would the number of anglers increase during that month?? [:p]

[size 1]It was March.[/size]
[signature]
LOL, you know if Minersville was closer to the more populated areas, you could be right but it likely will have little effect on the lake because if its location. That being said, I'm sure some of the local stores would benefit from the increase in sells that will come from more people visiting the lake[Wink].
I had a feeling it was earlier in the year because that is always when the big ones show up at Willard. After Winter, those wipers get hungry and a lot of last years food supply has been exhausted, so they are looking for an easy meal. Its good to hear you found out what they want, I might have to pick your brain on what to use[Wink].
[signature]
I've never caught a wiper at Minersville and I've fished quite a bit there. However, I usually target the trout. I've speared quite a few in newcastle and the biggest one I shot was 7.5 pounds. Not too many that I could see in the 10+ pound range in Newcastle last year.
[signature]
All I can say is Thank You. My hands are shaking too bad as I contemplate how soon we can make a trip there.
[signature]