Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here we go again
http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/funding...user-share

I really hope they don't close down access to the lakes. I think I'll seriously move if that happens as the prospect of only fishing in Utah makes me want to give up on fishing entirely.
[signature]
Idaho power needs to be a little more proactive on this. A couple bucks on everyone's bill maybe? Mussels in the snake won't effect boating, just power generation.
[signature]
I could see that being a total mess if they got into the Snake River system.

I thought the whole purpose of the invasive species stickers was to fund the check stations. Do they need to raise them a couple bucks? I think most people would rather pay a few more dollars as opposed to being outright banned from using their boat in the state.
[signature]
So...Where does the money go for the non-resident decal I just bought?
[signature]
Just going to hope for the best....but expect the worst.

Last year I seriously discussed moving with my wife, because of the serious lack of quality opportunities here. I think the city would lose a ton of money, so there has to be some kind of opposition....right? ugh
[signature]
That's exactly what I've been wondering.
[signature]
[quote CarlF]Just going to hope for the best....but expect the worst.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I can deal with a couple of them closing, but if it's the same ones as last fall then that would be the best of the largemouth lakes IMO. They mentioned Oneida too which if they closed that one we'd lose our only real smallmouth spot in the area. It's kind of discouraging. I actually did apply for a job at a hospital in southwestern Vermont where my friend works. Not sure if I'll get it. I was kind of on the fence of whether I really wanted to move across the country, but this is definitely pushing me more towards taking the job if I'm offered it. It would also be nice not worrying about whether my favorite fishing spot is going to have water in it at the end of the summer.
[signature]
Man this sucks. Why did I just get my Idaho fishing license?

I hope they get there act together. But good point gstott, we are paying for the invasive species sticker. My kayak has never been south of Mantua. Can't we find a solution for responsible boat owners?
[signature]
My tube has been to Mantua once and other than that has only been in the lakes around Preston. Plus it's only a float tube, it's not going to transport mussels. Being stuck on shore is so limiting, especially in the summer when they go deep and there are huge mats all around the lake. I'm Undecided on a license if they close access. Not really worth it for the handful of trout streams in the area.
[signature]
Total BS... Figure out a way to make it work!

I bet the economic impact of closing access far outweighs the cost of keeping the checkpoints open to allow access... just saying!
[signature]
Seriously, people aren't going to buy licenses if they can't fish. That's just the way it is.
[signature]
Everyone talks about not buying a license, but, a fishing license and the Fish and Game is not the issue folks, it's the invasive sticker issue and boats. So I don't think we need to go off on not buying a fishing license. Last year I talked in depth with the folks that administer the invasive sticker program about what can and cant be done. I had phone calls and e-mails with them and even though the program at the lakes is run essentially by the county, there is nothing from stopping anyone or any group to set up to be trained by the State and help with inspections at the check stations. I know a lot of us are a long drive from some of these stations, but, there are also groups close to the Franklin County ones that can work with the County and State to help get trained and volunteer some time and effort to help reduce the money issue. If I weren't a 2 1/2 hour drive from there I'd help a day here and there to check boats. And the issue goes even further. I was at Glendale one day last fall when the station was open and the lady checking boats, including mine, didn't even bother to check 4 different boats while I was getting ready to put in. She sat on the picnic table she had there and just waved everyone past. I reported it and the State was going to make some changes because of the lack of performing her duties. Any how, I agree, I don't know why there is no money, unless boat registrations has gone down. And maybe folks just haven't gotten their boats registered yet. Let's hope that the money comes in.
[signature]
The program at specific lakes is a special one required by the irrigation company. This is above and beyond the state funded inspections.

This could easily be solved if an inspection at the border is required and a seal put on the boat. Same as what Wyoming does. Any out of state boat must have an inspection and seal or they don't launch. A check at the lake is then a simple matter of checking that the inspection was done. Getting the inspection is up to the boat owner.
[signature]
[quote duksnfish]Everyone talks about not buying a license, but, a fishing license and the Fish and Game is not the issue folks, it's the invasive sticker issue and boats. So I don't think we need to go off on not buying a fishing license.[/quote]

That's true, but the end result is still the same. If they close access to the lakes and I'm not allowed to fish them from my float tube, I'm not going to waste my money on a license, which also means I won't be buying gas, snacks,other goods in Idaho because I won't even be up there.

It definitely sounds like they need to do some better training and make sure they have people in there that want to be there. I would donate some time if I wasn't spread so thin. I'm lucky to get out for a partial day of fishing maybe 2-3 times a month and the rest of the time I'm booked up.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]The program at specific lakes is a special one required by the irrigation company. This is above and beyond the state funded inspections.

This could easily be solved if an inspection at the border is required and a seal put on the boat. Same as what Wyoming does. Any out of state boat must have an inspection and seal or they don't launch. A check at the lake is then a simple matter of checking that the inspection was done. Getting the inspection is up to the boat owner.[/quote]

That sounds like a good solution. I hope they adopt something like this. One thing I don't understand is when they said they were closing access for any kind of watercraft from all of their lakes when Twin was the only one with the inspection station. There were no stations at Winder or Condie, and float tubes aren't even required to be inspected, so why the blanket ban? Doesn't make sense to me.
[signature]
Yes, not logical at all.

Frankly it is my own opinion that the irrigation company is flexing its muscle. Perhaps trying to get more of their demands by inconveniencing the most people possible.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]Yes, not logical at all.

Frankly it is my own opinion that the irrigation company is flexing its muscle. Perhaps trying to get more of their demands by inconveniencing the most people possible.[/quote]

That does seem to be their modus operandi [mad]
[signature]
Canal company needs to rent boats, like they do in San Diego.
[signature]
I could go for that. Not being a boat owner and not having a truck to tow one, that would be a fun opportunity for me to have a bit more mobility than I normally do.
[signature]
[quote gstott]...that would be a fun opportunity for me to have a bit more mobility than I normally do.[/quote]
What? Are you kidding me? You can't even kick in a straight line! Twice, TWICE, I've had to wade in and flip you back upright so you didn't drown!

Nobody should EVER allow you to operate a motorized watercraft.
[signature]