Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directional down rigger balls
I just added two electric down riggers to my boat. I'm keeping a pedastal mount for one hand cranker on the boat. To minimize the cable war that running three could create, I thought I'd try the directional down rigger balls. Before I buy them, thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with them. I'd love to find some used somewhere but that seems unlikely. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,
[signature]
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-D...699645.uts
I had never heard of them, so I looked them up, sounds like a good idea, if your running 3 riggers.
[signature]
I've read mixed reviews. Some have said you have to troll at faster trolling speeds for them to work. I troll around .05-3 depending on what I'm fishing for. I'd trust someone on here with personal experience over what I read on the web.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Directional-Downrigger-Weight/699645.uts
I had never heard of them, so I looked them up, sounds like a good idea, if your running 3 riggers.[/quote]

I never heard of them before either, Neat Idea.
[signature]
I love them. I make my own pancake style downrigger weights that are approximately 12 lbs. I simply bend the fin portion so the weights swing out the side a little bit. I troll form about 1.0 to 2.0 mph and they work at all speeds. These commercially made directional weights work the same way. Oh, and I coat my weights with Plasti-Dip (same stuff the commercially available weights) are coated with. Makes the easier to handle, don't make noise inside the boat, and don't make lead-streaks all over the boat, your hands, etc. I will never understand why anyone would want to troll with downrigger weights that are round in shape or that are less than 10 lbs after using the flatter styles and heavier weights. All electric and manual downriggers can easily handle weights at least 12 lbs and up to 15 lbs easily.
[signature]
Would you be interested in making two for me? 12 lb flat, white? I use a white pancake that's my go to now. How much if so?
[signature]
I appreciate the offer, but I'll decline. I just don't have a good source for lead. I've never tried white before. I usually do black and then add some prism tape which sticks really well to the Plasti-dip stuff. I'm gonna have to look for white Plasti-dip. I just checked and they have a lot of colors now-a-days.
[signature]
I think a guy in Clearfield makes downrigger weights, I've seen his adds in the KSL classifieds but they may be just the round ball type.
[signature]
I've have only ever used the round ball weights what are the advantages to the pancake style? I have friends that use the fish shape style painted like a kokanee but I don't think they do much better than we do. I'm always willing to try something different.
[signature]
Pancake style cuts through water a lot better than the fish and canon ball so less blowback
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Yours sound better than the ones you buy. I've read good and bad on the forums with the ones you buy (only bad is they don't work and actually create a mess if you don't troll fast enough). I am a fan of the pancake weights. The reason I mentioned white is the pancake weight I have now is white and I consistently catch more fish on that set up than the other side with a ball on (identical set ups) I've gone as far as to switch rods and still caught more with the white pancake weight. The pancake is lighter than the ball, I'm guessing 6 or 8 lb vs 0 lb ball. Just a crazy theory that color of the weight may have something to do with it? Could be it's simply a pancake weight and the depth will never be exactly the same as the ball on the other side (although I do adjust the depth to try and get it close).
[signature]
I figured less resistance to the water but I thought there may be other reasons. Thanks for the response.
[signature]