Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay_03-09-16
Fished Willard bay from 11:00-2:00 overcast for the first hour or so then cleared up really nice, slight breeze out of the north. Had a few bites the first part of the day but when it cleared up the action picked up. Fished from the bank south end about in the middle between the east and west ends, ended up catching my limit of wipers, nice day, enjoy
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I'm Going Friday.
[signature]
Were there any boats out there? I'd like to take her out this weekend but water levels were a little iffy last time I was up there.
[signature]
I didn't see any boats on the water, sorry.
[signature]
Friends of mine have been launching a small aluminum boat out of the south marina.
[signature]
Nice report OP.. what kind of bait were you using?

@bagbigone.. has your friend been trolling?
[signature]
Seen two boats out trolling Tuesday night on my way home. Sorry they were too far out to tell size but it looked good to see it going again. One was fishing north dike area the other one was in the north west light pole area. Guess I better get my boat invasive species cert done and licensed so I can get out there. Later J
[signature]
Not one Parked Car, truck or boat trailer in the South parking lot except mine from 10:45 to 1:00 PM.
Never left the marina just ran the engines and checked the boat out. The water coming in is dark Chocolate. Should have done a lap around just to see how far the stained inflow extends into the lake. Depth was the same or better than the Low point last fall.
2.5 ft reading below the transom on the trailer and 4.5 in the marina, just trim up and go slow.
I've suffered so many early skunks at Willard that I figure it doesn't count if you don't wet a line, so no skunks yet.
[signature]
Yes. Using a variety of lures and catching some nice wipers.
@Dog lover. They fished late afternoon to evening.
[signature]
Hydro fish took his boat out Friday. He had 0 problems launching in the south marina. He floats a 22 for glass boat.

I launched Saturday in the south marina. I float a 20' glass boat" I had no problems launching or loading. To pick up the boat launcher I pulled to the middle dock both coming and going and never touched bottom.
I had my wifey steer the boat while I was rigging rods and getting stuff ready and between pouring bloody Marie's and fooling with the stereo and the lack of me telling her to stay strait in the channel for at least 150 yards or better she let the boat veer to the left about 50-75 yards out of the marina and run us a shore. Well the motor was dragging in the gravel. Over the blasting stereo it tom a second to realize and I jump up the throttle in reverse. Backed up 10 feet and the Finder went back to reading 9 feet. So make sure you go strait for a while. Like 300 yards is preferred for me.

Launching out of the north is the same or at least was for me last year. Idle out is my usuall and then follow my GPS tracks back in. Good luck.

I am planning to float saturday this week.
[signature]
Ugh, the motor has about four hours on it and I don't know if I'm ready for that yet. Maybe I'll head South. Thank you for the information.
[signature]
Well I can under stand that. I have spent quite a bit of time on that pond in the last 3 or 4 years and have fished Willard off and on for 15 or so. They did not have any bouys out on the lake yet either as of last Saturday. So if you don't know where the island is you could rip your motor off you boat real easy. I would guess the island to be about 6" to 18" under the water right now. The channels are not bad but gotta stay strait. Then there are the shallow reefs or whatever you want to call them. All over up north. Then the shallow piece by the pag farms but I think that is probably just deep enough not to hit there.

Willard is sorta like Utah lake which I have spent 25 years fishing there. There are parts of that lake that you don't mess with. Like all of Lincoln beach and bird island. Great areas to fish but can rip a motor right off your boat if you don't know.

Cheers and good luck.
[signature]
So the 20'er and 22'er... do you know what the draft is on these boats.

I haven't dared launching mine due to my 20' Trophy having a 2.75' draft.

Any opinion on if my 20'er has a bigger draft than other models.

I always thought it sat pretty high in the water but never compared to any others.

I just live in Riverdale and absolutely hate using the N Marina, especially if I'm going to target the south side or freeway bay.
[signature]
Ya know reelmasta I really don't know. Mine is about

( )

This deep in the water. Just being funny because in don't know. I do know my boat is heavy with usually 3-4 people 4 batteries a shit of fishing gear and usually a cooler or four of assorted beverages.

What I do when I go to Willard to eather marina or for Utah lake for that matter with both of these lakes being shallow lakes, I turn on my GPS on the trusty Hummingbird and idle out quite a long distance, like 2-300 yards. Then I hit the gas hard full throttle to get on plain as quick as possible the travel another 100 yards before I turn into the main lake. I have been successful to this papint of never ripping a motor of a boat yet (knock on wood). I have hit my motor lots of time at Willard and or Utah lake and sure I might nick prop or srcartch the scag a little maybe loose a little paint if the motor. But at idle I have never done any rear damage. But I always say "rubbing is racing", if you ain't rubbing you ain't racing. No but seriously just go slow and you will be fine. When the wind is railing and the waves are 1-3 footers and your just heading out and don't have a GPS to follow, that is a bit nerve racking at times.

Hope Willard fills a few more feet and you won't have to worry about near as much.

Good luck.

Cheers
[signature]
Here are a couple pice of my boat floating and then one on the trailer. It sits that deep in the water. I have never measured though.
[signature]
Thanks I'm really only concerned with pulling it off the trailer and grabbing the mate.

I know the water way pretty well, been boating it for over 10 years now and only used the N Marina when the water level drew down last couple of years and the Trophy is to me with this being my 3rd year in it.

I put a 999 hummer on it last year and love the cookie trail feature. Used it last year watching the fireworks at the N Marina and man it was pitch dark so all we had to do was follow the yellow brick road right to the dock.

I think I just might try the S Marina this weekend.

does anyone have any up to date pictures of the docks in S Marina, like in the last week?
[signature]
I did not take any pics last Fri when I was out there and I'm sure it has come up since then but I just wanted to show this pic you took. I edited it to show where there is a big piece of concrete under the water. If you nose into the second cleat from that corner you will be fine, just stay away from that corner until the water come up a little more.
[signature]
good to know thanks

humpy
[signature]