Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport ice off
I am thinking most of the lake will be ice off this weekend. The whole south end is open water. Through the bino's it looks like the ice is ultra thin and is beginning to break apart through the rest of the lake.
[signature]

Bring it on! I guess I could lower my standards enough to fish Rockport, if that's where the open water is. [Smile] (sorry, it's just not one of my favorite places.)
[signature]
I'm watching the lake like a hawk right now. The edges are progressively getting bigger and it's pretty warm and really sunny today. If not more open water, I will go and at least fish the bank this weekend.
[signature]
Update with some picture action.

When I get a break I'll go take a picture with my phone. There's about 30' of open water most edges.
[signature]
Couple more pictures of the current ice situation at Rockport.
[signature]
Thanks for the spring thaw progress report and photos.

It won't be long now with Rockport breaking up before Echo, East Canyon, and Lost Creek soften up also.
[signature]
Thanks for posting the conditions at Rockport. Looks like time to get out the long poles!
[signature]
I fished the west side across from ramp and managed to catch my limit including a tagged fish which at 15" was actually the smallest one I caught. The other 3 were 20", 191/2, and 171/2. All in all a very nice day
[signature]
Wow! Nice fishing trip. I haven't heard much about anyone catching the tagged fish at Rockport through the ice fishing season. What did you win?
[signature]
Looks safe to me! 😜 Just need a small bridge to access it!
[signature]
Sorry havn't got been on lately but I won a fishing bag and a large pizza from rafter bs. So far up to mine 24 tagged have been caught and only to of the big prizeschave been caught. I'm going back on Friday according to the ranger up there the catching has been really good this last week. He also said that the ice was thick he was on it earlier but wouldn't advise any getting on it cause the ice blows away from bank pretty quickly.
[signature]
I don't know how much I believe anyone has been on the ice. It's at least 20' of open water on the steepest of sides and about 80' or more of open water everywhere else. I watch the lake and no one has been on the ice in the last two weeks (because it is impossible to get out there without a pontoon boat).

I have seen people catching fish from the shore and a couple people that I saw were having very good success (they were throwing bubble rigs with what looked like power bait).
[signature]
Yeah that's what I thought also cause where I was fishing it was about 20-30 feet of open water and on the south end it was completely open but I don't know how thick the ice was once on it or how you eould get on it. Me and my boy were on it 3 Thursday's ago we did plank out and were drilling 12" holes no fish but fun day.
[signature]