Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Trout Techniques
This is totally last minute, but I've decided to take my little girl out to Fish Lake in the morning for probably the last hoorah on the hard deck this year. I'm asking for a little coaching on the secrets for catching more trout there. I don't know why, but after we've caught our 100 or so perch and switch to try for trout, things slow waaay down. We typically catch a pile of perch and only 4 or so trout each time. I usually get right on or just off the weed bed, try a bunch of different lures and baits, dead stick, jig, change depths, etc. and end up frustrated. I read about your success, and it makes me wonder what I need to change??? We catch trout everywhere else we go (Strawberry, Deer Creek, Koosharem, Scofield, etc.) through the ice, but struggle at FL. We don't keep any, aren't asking for GPS coordinates or secret spots, just some tips. I've got all the gadgets and toys and gear, just not the "touch." Thanks very much in advance!
[signature]
I've had real good luck fishing 4 to 8 feet deep for the trout. I've also done well with just a piece of perch on a bare hook. Most of the trout come in 15 to 20 ft. Down 8 to 12 ft. Also had good luck with gulp 1 ln. Minowes on a small jig.
[signature]
Wanted to share a quick report. Got there about 8am. Fished the South end. Usually go North, but wanted to try something new. Took a while to find the fish, then it was nonstop until 3-ish. Fished in about 16 feet. Dropped the underwater camera down to find the edge of the weeds. Drilled 3 holes and never moved. The 2 of us kept 188 perch. Caught only 4 trout. Haha. Typical. I may never figure them out. Beautiful sunny day but had raging gusts of wind. Ice was 20+ inches and super slick. Shoreline getting a bit sloppy. Standing water on top. Have fun and be safe out there. Take a young one fishing--always a blast!
[signature]
Wow, thats a pile of perch, looks like some size to some of them!
[signature]
Looks like a killer day. Looks like your daughter had some fun. Thanks for the report and the pictures. I always like to see the pictures with kids in them. I assuming there was no tagged perch. I cant understand why more perch has no showed up with tags. They put tags on a bunch of them. The question I put out there is where are they?
[signature]
I think the answer is really just indicative of how many perch are in that lake. When you have 3-5 million estimated perch and 1350 tags statistically you'd need to catch between 4-7 thousand perch for each tag!
[signature]