Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard is a fickle mistress 3/18
I played hooky from work today, hoping to repeat my success from last Saturday, but alas it was not to be. I got on the water around 11:00 and returned to the same spot that I caught 20 last Saturday, in fact the exact same spot because when I cut my anchor rope, I attached one of my fender buoys to it and I found it today and was able to free my stuck anchor by attaching my bow rope to the cut anchor line and using reverse and steady pressure I was able to free it. I reattached my anchor to my rope and set anchor and began fishing muscles, it was 30 minutes later before I got my first bite which I hooked a small wiper that I proceeded to lose at the boat. I cast back out and a few minutes later hooked and landed a really short, but fat wiper with an enormous head for its length. I suspect this fish is a result of genetics, anyway it pulled hard. I let it go thinking I would catch more and bigger Wipers to fill my limit, but that was it for the day after not getting anymore bites for an hour I decided to try trolling Shad Raps for walleye, no love, so I decided to give bait fishing for wipers another try this time over in Freeway bay, but to no avail. I had to get off the water at 4:00 to pick my daughter up from daycare. I attached a picture of my odd wiper below.
[signature]
It looks very well fed to me.
I hope to get my boat out there on Sunday. It will be the first trip of the year for it.
Weather looks to be good.
Bet I will have a lot of company there.
[signature]
willard is a cruel mistress indeed , at least you didn't get skunked[Smile]
[signature]
Better than a skunk. I'll be there in the morning playing with new toys and hoping to find some fish.
[signature]
Weird! Looks like a wiper hooked up with a crappie[Wink]

Mike
[signature]
That's the Willard I know... Last year I did better than ever before, and still had some really slow days. I am going tomorrow as well. I hope to keep the skunks away. I'm in a black and white Crestliner, stop and compare notes.
That is an odd fish. Thanks for the post.

humpy
[signature]