Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire extinguishers on boats
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]As to fire extinguishers on boats, the boat inspectors are using Utah Code R651-271-6 & -7 to judge your compliance with the law. I’ve copied both of those rules here for your benefit.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]

Quote:[url "http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r651/r651-217.htm#E6"]R651-217-6. Certifying, Recharging, or Servicing a Fire Extinguisher.[/url][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
Each fire extinguisher, except a disposable fire extinguisher, must show evidence of being certified, recharged, or serviced once every five years, or a current standard as described in the National Fire Protection Agency - Publication 10, by a qualified fire fighting equipment repair service.
[url "http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r651/r651-217.htm#E7"]R651-217-7. Disposable Fire Extinguishers.[/url]
(1) If a fire extinguisher is unable to be certified, recharged or serviced by a qualified fire fighting equipment repair service, it is considered disposable.
(2) The serviceability of a disposable fire extinguisher expires upon being discharged, loss of pressure or charge, or 12 years from the date of manufacture printed on the label or imprinted on the bottom of the fire extinguisher.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]My boat came with a disposable type that was manufactured in 2004. Thus, it will be good through the end of 2016. Because of its construction (plastic stem and spray device) it is not serviceable/rechargeable and is therefore disposable. I would guess that most boats have disposable type units. My unit only has the year it was made and not the month and day. Yours may have all three. If your disposable unit was made prior to 2004, then your unit is expired IAW Utah Code.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The manufacturer of my unit did tell me that it never expires as long as the unit is charged. And while this is legal, Utah has decided they want a tighter restriction and set it at 12 years.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]So now you know what the actual requirements are for your boat fire extinguisher. Actually, this code applies to all extinguishers regardless of where they are required - boat, shop, business, etc.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
All I got to add is thanks for the education. My trophy had its original disposable one that showed good charge so I never bothered looking at. We'll to say the least it was past due, so $18.00 later and new bottle mounted to keep everyone safe and sound.

Scott
[signature]
So just because mine is in the green doesn't matter...It's 16 years old!!! Thanks for the info bud, I'll order a new one tonight.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Hold on guys; don't buy that new one just yet. If it has a gauge, it may, or may not, be considered a disposable. Take it into a certification center to be checked out. If it's rechargeable, you may only need to get it re-certified and that would hold you for another 5 years.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]In Ogden, you can take it to Fire Extinguisher Equipment Co on 17th. They can tell you for sure. There is at least one place in SLC that can do this also. And I'd be surprised if Provo/Orem did have a place as well.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Mine is definitely a disposable, so I'll replace it next season and put the old one in the barn. As long as it doesn't loose its pressure charge, the company says it should be good for 30 to 40 years.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Hmmm... good info. My 2000 boat still has the original extinguisher, a small red 15 inch job that is mounted up under the steeing cavity. It still shows green on the status gauge. In the 16 years that I have owned it I have never been asked by anyone to have a look at it.

I have a son-in-law who works in maintenance at a hospital and he brings home "out-dated" extinguishers that are scheduled for the dump. I have 3 of them in my shop. We shot one off once just for sport and I am convinced it would have extinguished a forest fire.

Anyways, not wanting to deal with the hassle of being found in violation I just stopped by my local hardware store to pick one up. They did not have anything that specified "marine grade" but they had an assortment that included "electrical fires", "kitchen fires", and dry chemical types. So, went to my boat dealer and bought one that looks like my original but is dubbed as "dry chemical vehicle fire protection." I'll just carry both and hope for the best.

I really don't plan on having a fire in my boat anyway, but then does anyone? Best to be safe.

Thanks again for the info.

BLK
[signature]
The safety checklist identifies that a fire extinguisher is NOT required (only recommended) for a 16-26 outboard boat of open construction. Is there a definition of open construction, or up to judgment of those checking if they even know this. My boat is about as open as they come, and I do have an extinguisher, though it may not meet the marine standards you all talk of.
[signature]
Thanks Bob I will have to check mine to see where I'm at.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#000000][quote smokepoles]The safety checklist identifies that a fire extinguisher is NOT required (only recommended) for a 16-26 outboard boat of open construction. Is there a definition of open construction, or up to judgment of those checking if they even know this. My boat is about as open as they come, and I do have an extinguisher, though it may not meet the marine standards you all talk of.[/quote][/#000000]I can't tell you for sure, but it is my understanding that an open construction boat would be one in which the inside of the hull is the floor such as in a john boat or maybe just a 12 foot tin boat. If there is any kind of floor deck with storage underneath, then it is not open construction. My 16ft Tracker Varga is NOT an open construction boat for sure - the permanent fuel tank is beneath the floor.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
If you have a question about your extinguisher most Fire Stations can tell you it should be disposed of or can be hydro tested and recertified. I bet 99 percent of the extinguishers on boats are the cheaper disposible type.
[signature]
Any of the skinny disposables are just that.... Disposable, but if they are still in the green it doesn't always mean they are charged. Many of them have sticking gauges after a few years so they could leak air and not necessarily show signs of it until you need it most. Also, check them to make sure the gauge shows charged. Again, many of them will leak over time, especially if subjected to very hot or very cold temps.

I see hundreds of these things a year while doing fire inspections and most are very reliable when used and good for one shot, but if your boat is moderate to decent sized, I would go with a rechargeable 5 pounder or better if you have the room. They are more money obviously, but they will last the life of your boat and can be recharged, hydro tested, repaired etc...and will usually have plenty of power to put out a decent fire.
I have seen a few boat fires where the small ones haven't been adequate on a decent fuel fire (that or the operator didn't know what they were doing), so size them according to your engine compartment and possible fire load if something were to happen.
Just my .02 cents.

Mike
[signature]
[quote smokepoles]The safety checklist identifies that a fire extinguisher is NOT required (only recommended) for a 16-26 outboard boat of open construction. Is there a definition of open construction, or up to judgment of those checking if they even know this. My boat is about as open as they come, and I do have an extinguisher, though it may not meet the marine standards you all talk of.[/quote]

I posted this a week or so ago on another thread. From a handbook I used when taking the Coast Guard Captain's exam:
The motorboat is not considered “of open construction” if any one or more of the following conditions exist:
a. Closed compartment under thwarts (motor well) and seats wherein portable fuel tanks may be stored.
b. Double bottoms not sealed to the hull or which are not completely filled with flotation material.
c. Closed living spaces.
d. Closed stowage compartments in which combustible or flammable materials are stored.
e. Permanently installed fuel tanks.

So basically, "open construction" means a single layer floor (or doubled with flotation in between), outboard motor, and external exposed fuel tank(s). FWIW, the only boat fires I've been a part of were electrical. Trolling motor wires above the battery, and the outboard motor itself. Both times, the extinguisher was used to put out flames! (both times there were bananas on the boat too) Carry an extinguisher!
[signature]
Thanks, Jim. My boat is open not having any of those, and yes, I still carry an extinguisher.
[signature]
Good information, thanks for posting. Some more food for thought. Last year while coming off the lake at the Gorge, I came up on a group of harley riders who were doing everything possible to put out a fire someone had set in a cedar tree (by hand throwing dirt on it). I pulled the fire extinguisher out of the boat and one out of my truck (I'm a salesman and travel a lot so always have a great first aid kit and a fire extinguisher in the truck). We ran them up to them, Sad to say this, the boat fire extinguisher had so little in it, it was almost worthless on the cedar fire, certainly would be worthless on a boat that had a fire. I replaced it with a brand new one, just like that, then added a second one which is much bigger but isn't a marine one per say (it is rated for fuel fires). I know it's the law, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Wish I had more room on the boat!
[signature]
one thing to remember if you ever actually have to use your extinguisher is, its not like target shooting, don't go for center mass, what is actually burning is at the base of the fire, aim at the base of the fire and sweep the nozzle side to side..
[signature]
Just because your extinguisher shows charged and the date is good doesn't necessarily mean it's ready to go, the agent inside can get compacted, and when you use it all u get is the compressed air, to really know if it's ready to go put it up to your ear and rotate it upside down slowly, you should be able to here the agent moving kind of sounds like a waterfall, this should be performed at least annually, I try do all mine when daylight savings time changes ( twice a year) have a safe summer it's almost here!
[signature]