Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Fish creel/tackle bag?
**copied this from original post over in the wyoming board--mod said might get more responses from here

So, I've been thinking about trying out using a creel, think it would be nice to be able to work up and down a river or hike between lakes and keep my fish on me a little easier than what i've been doing (put on stringer, leave in water, try to remember where I left it).

I think the old style wicker ones look cool but I don't think I would really like them, I like stuff that is a little easier to pack if i need to, not as rigid. So I'm looking at stuff like the Arcticreel but then I think, you know if it only had a few more pockets i could put my fish AND my tackle on one thing...but there's really not a lot to choose from that i could find, especially stuff that is cheap (those hardy and chapman bags look nice, but i'm not paying that much $$$ for a bag).

So I'm thinking...duck canvas is not that expensive, I could probably sew myself a bag with the amount of pockets I want and put some grommets in the bottom for the creel (that's a good idea, right? for the draining and airflow?). Only thing I keep thinkign is, these things like the Arcticreel are plastic lined. Is that a huge deal? Does it do something to keep the fish fresh, or is it mostly to keep the bag from getting all fishy-smelling? Because If i make my own i probably can't line it with plastic easily, but I wonder if having a fish creel that smells fishy would really be that big of a deal. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Also, I can't seem to find any sort of pattern or other people sewing their own canvas trout creel, so i'm wondering if it's just something that's not a good idea, or there's some reason it doesn't work well. I might just try it anyways and see how it turns out. Any thoughts out there?
[signature]
There are many different styles of creels. Here are pics of three. I am thinking of you want to carry gear then use a vest or chest pack and have one of these cheaper creels for your catch. These are lined so as not to absorb the moisture from the fish. Also they do have the grommet type holes in the bottom as well.

If you're set on making one try canvas and pick up some of the plastic sheet at the craft store as well to line it with. It comes in different thicknesses. Once seen together then cut the holes and place the grommets in the bottom.
[signature]