Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topock Marsh Thursday 3/24
Hadn't been there since Spring 2015 and in the interim there was a fire west and north of North Dike. The trees were gone right to the bank's edge.
We got there about 7:30 and 6 rigs are parked in the lot. I changed to my composite prop and we probably got in the water about 8. Water temp about 62. probably at 12 mph wind out of the North. Water visibility maybe 4". The entrance bar is still there and about 16" deep. A power loading hole has appeared at the end of the concrete ramp but it's level enough.

We started off pitching and flipping the reeds on the south side of the canal then turned the corner and spot pitched both sides for maybe half a mile. No bites. Julie wanted to run to the back by the Glory Holes so we tied down and got on the big motor.

Passed 4 rigs but nobody was catching. Once we made the turn to the canal which leads to the Glory Hole the water cleared some. Maybe 12" visibility. Stopped and chatted with some fishermen there; they had no bites and were pulling out. Wind slacked off around noon.
We persevered but nothing happened till about 3:30 PM. Julie caught a dink on a Sweet Beaver and I missed a couple nips and lost a dink at the boat. The fish were tight to the reeds as you might expect. They were not especially locked on nests judging by once you got bit you couldn't get a second bite. Water in protected spots got up to 66.

We were thinking about calling it a day. Strapped down and on the big motor again headed back when Julie asked to lay over in a spot we had way-pointed last year. I pulled up the waypoints and got on the trolliing motor. Then Julie caught one and lost it at the boat but everyone got energized. I picked up the jig rod and began working the bank. 45 minutes later I had the big girl of the day in the Skeeter. She had one hook hole in her so previously caught. That pretty much ended the day. We tried one more waypoint area but nothing.
[signature]
Bummer on the fire down there.

Doesn't sound too promising. The water temps are good.

6 rigs and a Thursday. Would be scary on a Saturday seeing as how that lot only holds about 6 rigs.

Tom
[signature]
Agree. Not to promising. If I 'm going to that area I'd take a chance on going down the gorge instead from Park Moabi and see if I can get into some of the :"pretty waters" off the main river.
[signature]