Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Bathymetry Map
I was watching the DWR Walleye seminar last night. Pretty cool they streamed it live over YouTube. Thanks to Paul Birdsey and the DWR for putting on these seminars.

I really enjoyed Chris Penne's presentation on Willard Bay. At the beginning of his presentation he showed a depth map of Willard Bay that I had never seen before.

With a quick Google search and I found the map in the environmental assessment that the Bureau of Reclamation did for the dike raising project.

I thought a few folks on this forum might find it useful...

[inline "Willard Bay Bathymetry Map.jpg"]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. I'm sure there are a lot of Willardites who will make good use of that info.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, that is interesting and useful.
[signature]
You BET! I just printed it. Gonna laminate it and keep in the boat
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks that is pretty interesting. I wonder how they came up with that Map[:/]. After twenty plus years of fishing out there, since I bought my first fish finder, that is the first map I've ever seen that even comes close to showing the structure in the Bay. That by no means is all of structure or depth change out there but it does a very good job of showing a lot of it. There are many, many roads out there that were used to create the dirt portion of the dike. They would excavate the dirt around the roads but leave them to travel back and forth to the dike. I had seen these roads for a lot of years but did not realize what they were until some years ago when Hummingbird first came out with side scan. A friend and I were following one of the road and clear as day, you could see excavation marks, from a back hoe, on the side of one of those roads. I was totally amazed because it all made sense then.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing. I too enjoyed the seminar. Missed the first 40 minutes though, but I will youtube it later.

This map does make a lot of sense though. The year before last, I went fishing on Willard several times, for the first time. In the SW corner we found a 1/4 mile circle that just continued to produce. I was marking caught fish on my GPS. As soon as we went outside a 1/4 mile circle we ran out of fish. Where there are those two yellowish humps was about where we were.

I'll be printing a copy and laminating it too. [Wink]
[signature]
Ditto the thanks. The whole northeast end confuses me, however. It seems to show there is no dike there, leaving a ragged shoreline. It also doesn't show the long trench leading to the outflow station - or the north marina and channel for that matter.
[signature]
The marina is the part to the east that is almost completely surrounded by the red line that represents the shore line. I'm not sure about the rest though.
[signature]
Yes Rocky there there appears to be a limit to the detail that is resolved on the map. Its value for me is showing the big picture.

I will be using this map as the new background image for my Willard map and then overlaying all the interesting features I have mapped with the sonar.
[signature]
How do you go about overlaying this map on your sonar map? Is there software for doing that and what sonar do you use?
[signature]
My sonar is a Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9. The software to do the overlays is called [url "http://reefmaster.com.au/"]ReefMaster[/url]. It's the best thing to come out of Australia since Vegemite.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice, looks like it works with Humminbird as well. How much did it cost you?
[signature]
Did you see any other maps of that type for lakes in Utah.
[signature]
Walleye Seminar (Spring 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqBm3qykLQ

Walleye Seminar (Spring 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9sEBd7kE4
[signature]
ReefMaster currently costs $149.
[signature]
Navionics and LakeMaster have electronic maps for most of the major waters in Utah.

For the paper variety checkout Fish-n-Map.
[url "https://www.fishnmap.com/"]https://www.fishnmap.com/[/url]
[signature]
I worked a little magic in Photoshop and Goggle Earth and created this overlay map.

I then created a KMZ file of the overlay.

For those interested in the KMZ file send me a PM with your email address.

You can copy the KMZ file to your smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc and open it with a mapping app. Unfortunately, Google Earth and Google Maps for Android will not display it. An app called Locus Map Free works great. I'm sure there is an app for the Iphone, but you Apple types will have to find it.

Once you get Locus Map to display the KMZ file you are set for your next Willard outing. As you cruise around Locus Map will show your location on the depth map.
[inline "Willard Bay Google Earth.jpg"]
[signature]